PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Solutions new Ride-On Aerifier

LawnSolutionsCP
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
We have been asked to show our new ride-on aerifier that we had at the EXPO.

Click on the below video link for a view of our new aerator that is coming this spring.

Video (http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/video/TA28.wmv)

Key Features:

Hill side performance
ability to zero turn with tines in the ground
2-stage adaptive suspension that can be changed on the fly
2 acre per hour capacity
Aerate 28" wide
41" total width (fits through 42" and larger gates)
Handles like a stand-on ZTR mower. Quick and adjile.

We are still in the design phase and looking for input from LawnSite members. From the prototype shown, we are making changes to move the controls slightly forward, and add a little more weight to the front.

When you watch the video...notice how our adaptive suspension system adjusts the tines to match the terrain allowing it to pull good plugs on hills, dips, slops, etc... Also watch how the machine dips on rough terrain, but still provides a smooth ride even at 4.5 - 5 MPH. :cool2:

Notice how the unit can ZERO turn with the tines in the ground.

Notice how the units has excellent control on hills: up, down, or across.

If you are in the Louisville area and would like to demo, just let us know. We will have them at the Ohio Turf Grass show the first week in Dec in Columbus, OH as well.

Thanks and we look forward to valuable feedback. We are still making changes so input is highly encouraged.

Thanks

David Cook
Lawn Solutions Commercial Products, Inc

LawnSolutionsCP
11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
The aerator puts 600 - 700 lbs of force over the tines depending on the weights of the operator.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
looks like you hit the nail on the head with that

lawn king
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
This is a spike aerator, not a core aerator correct?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
This is a spike aerator, not a core aerator correct?

No, it pulls 3/4" cores 3-3.5" deep.

David

DUSTYCEDAR
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
WHAT IS THE PLUG SPACING? how many cores do u pull per sq ft?
what is the cost going to be?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Retail is going to be $6,000

It pulls 6 plugs / ft^2 currently. We are still playing the tine geometry to optimize handling, core depth, and density.

JDUtah
11-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Can't see the plugs on the video...

LawnSolutionsCP
11-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Sorry, showing the plugs on the ground was not our focus. We were testing maneuverability. You can see the plugs the best from time 22 sec - 30 sec at the beginning of the video. You can see them coming out of the back of the aerator then lay on the grass.

Most of the video was shot at a distance. We can show the plugs on the ground when we do more video sometime next week.

The aerator uses the industry standard aerator tine that almost everyone uses.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Since the grass is mostly bermuda the cores donít show up like they do on green grass.

JDUtah
11-21-2008, 12:59 AM
I can barely see 'em. I'de make sure it's in the next video for sure... us lazy ones just wanna see it. :)

Steve B
11-21-2008, 02:31 AM
I agree with the others - let's see some plugs. I watched it pretty carefully and never saw one - on the ground or coming out of the machine.

It looks like it will definitely need more weight over the front.

Also the part where the guy had to help it get up the hill by pushing the ground with his foot was not so impressive. He may not have even needed to have done it, but it gave the impression that the machine needed some help.

I live in Louisville area (Spencer County) and I'm considering getting an aerator for the Spring. Let me know the specifics of how I can see it in person.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-21-2008, 07:27 AM
It looks like it will definitely need more weight over the front.

Also the part where the guy had to help it get up the hill by pushing the ground with his foot was not so impressive. He may not have even needed to have done it, but it gave the impression that the machine needed some help.

The unit does need a little more weight on the front, that is the reason for the step. It started to do a wheeley.

A light front isn't all bad. When you add more weight to the front, then the unit will not perform as well going across hills which is our #1 goal.

If you want to demo or take a look, just give us a call. You can stop by our offices.

David

LushGreenLawn
11-21-2008, 08:24 AM
That is awsome. I hope it available as a rental from HD like the Seeder. I'm not big enough to buy one yet, but would rent one for a week in the fall if its available.

cod8825
11-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree this is an impressive start David. I saw the cores like he stated at the 22-30 second range. I have use the the revitalizer for two seasons and love it. I agree with Lush and hope that it is at the rentals units as well as I would rent it in a heartbeat next season.

Matt

Steve B
11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Good point about the weight. Perhaps you could just add some bars that could be used to hold some barbell type of weights so they are removable.

Where are you located? Or, what is your phone #

Real Green
11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That is awsome. I hope it available as a rental from HD like the Seeder. I'm not big enough to buy one yet, but would rent one for a week in the fall if its available.

Lush,

I demoed it at Louisville. Even if it isn't available as a demo you can always barrow my L.T. Rich Z-Plugger till ya purchase one (Be it Lawn Solutions, Turfco, Whatever)! :waving:

lawn king
11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't have an issue with the 6 grand price tag, however, for that price i expect a machine that has a 2 range hydrostatic tranny, high end honda engine and a working with of at least 30".

LawnSolutionsCP
11-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't have an issue with the 6 grand price tag, however, for that price i expect a machine that has a 2 range hydrostatic tranny, high end honda engine and a working with of at least 30".

What do you mean by 2-range hydrostatic? We use the best hydrostatic components in the industry. Hydro-gear pumps and sauer danfoss wheel motors. These are the same parts you will find in large ZTR mowers.

The machine has a aerating width of 28". Can't go any wider and still meet a 42" gate requirement. The unit is very compact and can't be made any smaller without going to smaller tires which you would not want to do.

Honda makes a great engine, but we use the 9hp Subaru because it is also a premium engine with the extra features of electric start, a 20 AMP charging system built in, and the ability to take slopes without tripping the oil sensor. Anyone who has used one of these will agree that it is one sweet engine.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I can barely see 'em. I'de make sure it's in the next video for sure... us lazy ones just wanna see it. :)

We went out and took some more video today. We got some very good plugs. I'll post later tonight once I down load it from my camera.

David

turfsolutions
11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
This looks like a great machine. I would like to see how it performs on established turf in clay soils to see if it turfs during zero turns. I would also like to hear some feedback on how it holds up to typical wear and tear that aerators face in the field. Great concept though. Nice work!

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
This looks like a great machine. I would like to see how it performs on established turf in clay soils to see if it turfs during zero turns. I would also like to hear some feedback on how it holds up to typical wear and tear that aerators face in the field. Great concept though. Nice work!

Thanks....unit works well in clay soil. That is all we have in KY. When it's dry...it becomes hard as concrete.

Our unit is mostly 1/4" - 1/2" plate making it heavy enough to pull cores, but it should be solild enough to take the 8hr days that some companies put their aerators through.

Also, since the tines are pressed into the ground hydraulically using variable pressure that can be adjusted by simply turning a knob...you can tune the suspension or ride comfort to your needs. What else do this due...it also eliminates the shock loads transmitted through the frame like on other aerators.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
We did a lot of testing today. Made changes on weight placement and tine geometry.

Weight placement - Adding another 12 lbs to the front of the unit greatly improved the handeling. It was good before, but now it sticks to hills even better as shown in the below video.

Tine Geometry - we tested different tine setups today and saw big improvements on how clean of a hole the tine makes as it enters and then exits the turf. Testing was conducted on bent grass as shown in the video. The first pass on the bent grass was our first configuration...the final pass was what we found to be the best. It provided very clean and round holes where the tines pulled plugs at any speed.

We also took video as requested showing plugs, plugs, and more plugs.

Todays VIDEO (http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/video/Plugs.wmv)testing.

Steve B
11-22-2008, 01:00 AM
I'd love to stop by and see it if you don't mind sharing the address or phone number of your company.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 01:04 AM
We saw this guy today when we were aerating.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I'd love to stop by and see it if you don't mind sharing the address or phone number of your company.

Phone - 502-968-3188

I can give you are address on the phone. Just call ahead before you come. This time of year we are out testing new products.

David

JDUtah
11-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Lookin' good man. Thanks!

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 02:00 AM
I was playing with the video and slowed the tines down. Looks pretty cool.

Video (http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/video/Slow.wmv)

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-22-2008, 07:20 AM
I really like this concept......I have been using Stand up mowers for year and always thought this idea was being missed. Great job.... Have there been any issues with the size of the rear wheels???

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
The tires on the rear work great, but that is one of the areas being extensively tested. They handle AWESOME and do great on hills. They will climb curb about 4" tall but that is mostly limited by the tines (frame).

A key feature was the ability to go over curbs if needed, but it's not practical to design it clumb curbs over 4".

The other reason for the tires size is to keeep the total width of the machine down to only 41" so it can make it through 42" residential gates. Most gates are 48", but there still are lots of 42" gates as well.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I figured....I guess I was wondering about rutting if ground is on the softer side???

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 09:34 AM
In testing, we have only seen tire tracks (1/16" depression) when crossing wet brent grass fairways which is like driving on a soft pool table. Bent is great for testing bcause you can see everything that is going on.

On normal lawns you would never see or be able to detect anything even when the ground is soft.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I really like this concept......I have been using Stand up mowers for year and always thought this idea was being missed. Great job.... Have there been any issues with the size of the rear wheels???

You can see from the videos that the tires are leaving no marks on the golf course fairways.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I figured....I guess I was wondering about rutting if ground is on the softer side???

After talking you question over...we are going to offer a wider tires option that is a direct replacement for the current tire. I would imagine that most people would want the stock tire, but it is easy enough to made an optional tire that is wider.

Good feedback and forward thinking.... Input like this is what makes a good product (design) a great product.

Thanks

David

Steve B
11-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm curious if you were getting a decent plug on the parts of the video that was done from a distance. If you were, was that part of the course that was watered? I know we haven't had enough water this last week for most aerators to operate effectively.

I'm hoping this cuts decent plugs in less than ideal situations.

syzer
11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I would like to see that pull some plugs in very hard compacted clay type soil. I am sure it wont do great, as others wont, but it would be interesting to see what it will actually do.

Tires would be a concern for me as well. Also the ability to jump curbs, in condos and apartment complexes today, all the curbs are huge.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-22-2008, 12:41 PM
lookin good call me when it comes north

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I would like to see that pull some plugs in very hard compacted clay type soil. I am sure it wont do great, as others wont, but it would be interesting to see what it will actually do.

Tires would be a concern for me as well. Also the ability to jump curbs, in condos and apartment complexes today, all the curbs are huge.

The unit does better than most on hard clay, but no it isn't going to pull 2-3" cores in clay that is like concrete. The unit has the ability right now to put 600-700 lbs of down force directly over the tines which is 2x more force than most aerators and 50% more than similar large industrical aerators.

We have run it next to large golf course cam-action aerators and get very similar results in hard clay. Even a 3-pt cam driven aerator on the back of a tractor is only going to get ~1.5" of penetration before you start doing damage to the tines and aerator itself.

We are also working on an additional weight option that will bolt around the rear fenders to add additional weight if needed. Even with an extra 150 lbs we don't get much more penetration in very hard clay.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-22-2008, 02:34 PM
If we went to larger rear tires in order to climb large curbs we would need a minimum 20" tire. Attached is how it would look. Looks like a dragster.

To make it drive nice, you would have to made the unit longer which would not allow it to fit into tight areas like it does today. It would also make the machine 49-50" wide instead of 41". Today I can drive the unit in the back of my van and out the side door or turn around inside and drive back down the ramps. Of course, normally, I just back down the ramps because I have other equipment in the front half of the van.

I don't plan on putting larger diameter tires in order to allow the aerator to jump 6" curbs. Our machine would have the same limitation on curbs as most ZTRs. Small curbs are OK, but not large one.

If you need to climb large curbs use a WB aerator.

Does this make sense....? Looking for feedback.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
After talking you question over...we are going to offer a wider tires option that is a direct replacement for the current tire. I would imagine that most people would want the stock tire, but it is easy enough to made an optional tire that is wider.

Good feedback and forward thinking.... Input like this is what makes a good product (design) a great product.

Thanks

David

cool, now you can start work on a wide version of the unit..... I look forward to being able to rent one......

CAT powered
11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
The operator's platform looks like it leaves something to be desired. It just looks a little small for someone that has big feet and is wearing work boots. You might be able to squeeze on, but it won't be comfortable.

Not really intending to buy something like that any time soon, but I thought I'd offer some input.

turfcobob
11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
600 to 700 lbs of down force? What does the thing weigh? I find this claim very hard to believe. Turfcobob

LawnSolutionsCP
11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
The operator's platform looks like it leaves something to be desired. It just looks a little small for someone that has big feet and is wearing work boots. You might be able to squeeze on, but it won't be comfortable.

Good observation, we are building a larger suspension platform on Monday and Tuesday which is also going to have a operator presence foot switch which is going to assist in giving the operator more control over the position of the tine ASM.

If you have ever used a stand-on mower you never set back on your heels. In my previous life, I used to cut 1,500 lawns on a stand-on mower per year and designed the size of the platform on what I felt was the most confortable from my experiences.

Back to the new platform design....the new platform foot switch gives the operator the option to raise or lower the tines into the ground in 1 second without taking hands off the controls. The foot switch over rides the main switch on the control panel which is used to raise or lower the tines when you first start. While aerating, if you need to quickly raise the tines, just take your foot off the switch to raise and put it back to lower on the fly or when making quick zero turns.

We are going to make a video of the next setup after T-day which should be posted next weekend...mostlikely on Saturday.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
600 to 700 lbs of down force? What does the thing weigh? I find this claim very hard to believe. Turfcobob

The current weight of the machine is around 675 lbs but we expect it to end up over 700 - 750 then you add a 180 - 220 lb operator and your well over 700 lbs.

It looks light because it is quick and adjile.

syzer
11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
If we went to larger rear tires in order to climb large curbs we would need a minimum 20" tire. Attached is how it would look. Looks like a dragster.

That makes a huge difference! That thing is SHWEET!

That foot controller is a FANTASTIC IDEA! Its nice to see some thought put into things! I think asking the feedback of users on this forum and actually implementing them is a fantastic idea. So many engineers thing because they are good at designing things they dont need to know the feed back of the field personnel. I get so darn aggravated by such minor things that ruin a machine. like accessibility to readily needed adjustments, etc.

Good luck, I would love to demo one when they come out!

1wezil
11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
keep it coming

DuallyVette
11-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I bought your Turf Renovator this Fall, and your new aerator looks just as impressive. You have the speed of the aerator pegged at 4.5 to 5 mph. Will all of them go this speed. My Renovator will only go 2.1 mph (according to my GPS) after my local dealer made a few adjustments. It probably wouldn't go 1.2 mpg before the adjustments. A Renovator at Home Depot traveled at 2.8 mph. I'd still like for mine to travel at 3mph.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I bought your Turf Renovator this Fall.

Last time I checked we don't make the Renovator....that is the other guys.

I'll come and look at your unit as we discussed or have someone this spring when we do training in NC for the Home Depots. I'm sure there is something out of adjustment if it isn't going 3mph. As you have seen on the Home Depot unit they are quite fast.

The Aerators will go 4.5 - 5 MPH...we might make them faster but we haven't made that decision yet. We still have testing to do. Part of the decision is a lot of companies don't want their employees zipping around customer's lawns at 6-7 mph. Also, with extra speed and power you have to watch tearing turf. In a mower when you spin the tires you get a little turf burn...in an aerator you rip the turf 2-3" deep if you make it too powerful and let people operate it who don't really care. Right now it is designed to where you can't screw it up without really trying. Tying to keep it simple.

David

DuallyVette
11-25-2008, 12:16 AM
That's right...Its Turf Revitilizer...sorry.
I look forward to our visit (and adjustment) You have a great reputation on this site.

On the aerator, I always want more power. more speed. I drive a vette and can usually drive it at less than max speed. So a 20hp 12 mph max speed would be worth some extra $$.

Steve B
11-25-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm still curious what kind of plugs it was getting on the rolling hill portion of the video that was shot from a distance (and if that section was watered or, had just received natural rainfall at the time the video was shot). It sure was impressive at handling the hills - I just wanted to confirm it was also cutting plugs and in what conditions.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-25-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm still curious what kind of plugs it was getting on the rolling hill portion of the video that was shot from a distance (and if that section was watered or, had just received natural rainfall at the time the video was shot). It sure was impressive at handling the hills - I just wanted to confirm it was also cutting plugs and in what conditions.

The plugs in the taller grass on the rolling hills was on average 2" - 2.5', non irrigated, natural rainfall, at the time time the video was shot.

David

Steve B
11-25-2008, 07:41 AM
That's very impressive - considering the limited rainfall we had had in the weeks prior to that video being shot. I'll call you in the next few weeks to see if I can stop by and check it out.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Steve

Do you install invisible pet fences? If so, we have a new cable installer that is coming out this spring. We are looking for companies to test

Let me know...if so, what do you normally use?

David

Lawn Tek
11-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Just a note from one of Lawn Solutions powerseeder owners . Dave stuff is heavy duty precision engineered . Best seeder on the market .

Steve B
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes - we install underground pet fencing. I currently use a DMR machine. I'm in the market for a second machine and would love to test one out.

Feel free to call me at 502-314-7398

FIRESCOOBY
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
VERY SWEET!! I saw good plugs on my screen.

BTW David, I'm still hoping to buy a Turf Revit. I couldn't find the larger one on the website.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
VERY SWEET!! I saw good plugs on my screen.

BTW David, I'm still hoping to buy a Turf Revit. I couldn't find the larger one on the website.

Our website is very outdated. We will be doing some updates this fall. Right now we are working on 5 new products for spring so the website has fallen behind.

I'll put a video together of our 30" TR. It is an amazing piece of equipment and a little excessive in every way. Fast, powerful, very productive, but that is what we like anyway.

dave k
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Can you show a video of the access to the tines for replacement?

How many tines per machine?

Approx. how long does it take to replace them?

Do they go up and down like other brands or do they just go round in circles like most?

Dave

LawnSolutionsCP
12-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Can you show a video of the access to the tines for replacement?

How many tines per machine?

Approx. how long does it take to replace them?

Dave

We have been asked this question a few times in the last 1-2 weeks. Due to the weight of the machine, if you have a lift it is very easy to change the tines. For those that don't, well....you would have had to use 3-4 people to tip the unit backward where it can rest on the control panel and operator platform...easy once you tip it back, but not the best.

But...we have made some great changes due to your tough questions....the next round of prototypes will include an access panel that will make changing the tines breeze. Just pull up a chair, sit down, open the panel, then start changing them.....but this will be used more to just inspect and re-lube the chains and bearings.

How long does it take to change the tines? 1-2 hours. There are 48 of them. 6 tines per disk, with 8 disks across the width of the machines which can be seen in the videos. How often would you change the tines? Too many variables to really answer this. For some it would be 5 years...for golf courses who use it 12 months out of the year probably every year.

Great questions...keep them coming...it only makes the products better.

David

DUSTYCEDAR
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM
That tine change out should take less then an hour
if you r good:)

group501
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
bump to the top

Josh.S
03-15-2009, 04:53 AM
We have been asked this question a few times in the last 1-2 weeks. Due to the weight of the machine, if you have a lift it is very easy to change the tines. For those that don't, well....you would have had to use 3-4 people to tip the unit backward where it can rest on the control panel and operator platform...easy once you tip it back, but not the best.

But...we have made some great changes due to your tough questions....the next round of prototypes will include an access panel that will make changing the tines breeze. Just pull up a chair, sit down, open the panel, then start changing them.....but this will be used more to just inspect and re-lube the chains and bearings.

How long does it take to change the tines? 1-2 hours. There are 48 of them. 6 tines per disk, with 8 disks across the width of the machines which can be seen in the videos. How often would you change the tines? Too many variables to really answer this. For some it would be 5 years...for golf courses who use it 12 months out of the year probably every year.

Great questions...keep them coming...it only makes the products better.

David

Just as a suggestion, if your going to make 2 stand-on's, why don't you make your regular one bigger?

If you're going to make a slightly smaller one for getting into 36" gates then the slightly bigger machine really isn't that much different. It would make more sense (to me at least) to have your bigger stand-on big enough to hop curbs and be extremely efficient on multi-acre properties.

For myself, since I don't do THAT much aeration, I will probably just buy the walk behind this summer. Unless you have a stand on smaller than 36" by then.

On the WB machine, there is a way to raise the tines right? I'm assuming the handle on the right but just double checking. Is it a cable then, or how does it work? Do you have to pick the machine up to put them back down?

selaeration
03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
I bought the ride on lawn solutions aerator with the Subaru 13.5 motor and I hate it. Won't start cold. Today 41 degrees and won't even pop. I have lawns to aerate and can't get this machine started. I called LS and they said they had put too small a battery in it and to try pull starting it. That does not work either. Anybody have a suggestion? This machine has 17 hours on it.

LawnSolutionsCP
03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Give me a call at the office. You talked with obiously a new guy who is still learning the products. I will talk with them and make sure they know this.

Turn the hydraulic pressure in the tines down to ZERO (knob on the control panel) in stead of the normal aerating pressure. The oil is cold and thick in the morning and just turn off the hydraulic load on the engine when starting during 35 degree mornings.

You can also put lighter weight oil in the unit. They ship with 20/50 which is thick enough to protect the machine if you were to aerate on the hottest day in the Sahara Desert.

David
Posted via Mobile Device