PDA

View Full Version : What catches you eye?

Junior M
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok, so I have to design an ad for a local business for my journalism class, of course I chose Ernie Mankins & Sons Construction, so I need some idea's on what catches your eye on another excavating companies ad? If you have your own what do you think is the most eye catching thing? I just need some idea's to design an ad that will get the most attention for a service that most people dont need..

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 12:59 AM
It has to be a service that most people don't need?

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:01 AM
or do you just have to make an ad for the company?

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:04 AM
If you just need an ad you could make something like a picture of an excavator with the bucket dumping the words that spell out the name of the company,then below in bold letters you could list the services that the company offers like they were in a pile shape mounded up.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 01:06 AM
No I was talking about what we do, an excavating service isnt a service that alot of people need, and most of the time the ad's are kinda boring..

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:08 AM
so something more specialized i guess i don't understand exactly what you are asking for

Junior M
11-21-2008, 01:13 AM
I just need to know what catches your eye on another excavating companies ad, I just want to catch people's attention so they will read it and remember us, it doesnt matter what business it just has to be a local business, and I chose our's..

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:18 AM
i think some kind of picture or graphic would be eye catching and if you can shape it around the kind of business you are advertising for I think that would make a good memorable ad. That is where I was getting at with my idea earlier about the excavator dumping the company name (like on the top of the pile) and the services in like a mound off to the side of the machine like the spoil pile. Sorry if im not helping lol

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:19 AM
just try to make it interesting so people have to look at it once or twice to get the jist of it...make them think about it.......the different one is the one they will remember

Junior M
11-21-2008, 07:59 AM
just try to make it interesting so people have to look at it once or twice to get the jist of it...make them think about it.......the different one is the one they will remember
Thats what I am trying to do! I want to know what is eye catching on your ad, or on another excavating companies ad that makes you remember them..

Construct'O
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Might have a cacthy sentence,somewhere at the top,bottom or along the side.Bold,capital letter,maybe colored ones:confused:

Like "we move mountains"
......"we make mountains out of mole holes":)
......"it's a dirty job,but someone has got to do it"
......"why do it twice, when we do it right the first time"

Sure other can come up with some better one,just something that might be eye cacthing.Good luck:usflag:

Junior M
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
It has to be the size of atleast one business card, and no bigger than 2 business cards on top of each other. I like that idea of the catch phrase thing. does anyone know of a website where I can create a nice logo? or create a name around a logo?

bobcat_ron
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Anything with Boobs and Beer make great ads.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Anything with Boobs and Beer make great ads.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I dont think that will go over to well with Dad or my teacher.. :laugh:

Dirt Digger2
11-21-2008, 02:45 PM
JLM you have a PM

Junior M
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
So does anybody know where I can make a logo? like a custom logo or a place that has some good already made logo's?

Junior M
11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.vistaprint.com/logo-design/choose-font.aspx?icon=400&logo_id=17113773&pf_id=088

Here is one I like, but it doesnt have equipment in it, which I would really like to have in it, but what do you guys think?

Junior M
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Here is a link to our name, I am going to have to make it smaller in order to get it on the add but it would let our name stand out, just have to get it in our company colors, gunmetal gray and red..

http://cooltext.com/Render-Result?RenderID=405538790

NateV
11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
neither one of those links work

Junior M
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
neither one of those links work
Crap, sorry, let me get on my school computer and I will upload the pic of the second one, I will try to do something about the first one, I can buy it for $20 but I dont want to spend that..

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I'am surprise KSSS hasn't made a smart azz comment yet :laugh:

People remember colors and logos more than slogans.

bobcat_ron
11-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I'am surprise KSSS hasn't made a smart azz comment yet :laugh:

People remember colors and logos more than slogans.

And they also remember a business name as they paint ball splatter a big ass "B" on the competition's sign along side a road from a jobsite.

Take that, Mountainside Excavation LTD.

I'm doing community services next year, I'm sure i won't enjoy it.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
And they also remember a business name as they paint ball splatter a big ass "B" on the competition's sign along side a road from a jobsite.

Take that, Mountainside Excavation LTD.

I'm doing community services next year, I'm sure i won't enjoy it.
U actually did that Ron? :laugh: :laugh: You should've put 3 B's...

Oh, yeah, I found out it has to be black and white which sucks, but I will get by, and I thought of a good slogan, "We make dirt look good"
I am still working on the logo part..

bobcat_ron
11-22-2008, 05:43 PM
U actually did that Ron? :laugh: :laugh: You should've put 3 B's...

Those dog f***ing assheads didn't have a big enough sign.

Scag48
11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm a believer in logos and color schemes. Think food advertising. When you go to the store, you find what you're looking for just by the color/text/logo on the packaging the item is in. This isn't a necessity, but I think company trucks should all the be the same color and be lettered up as well. If you have multiple trucks, the logos and color of the truck eventually becomes familiar to people who see them more than once. Having equipment lettered is nice too, even just a basic logo decal will suffice. Company I worked for this summer all the trucks were red; dump trucks, foreman pickups, lowboy trucks and the trailers, all trucks were red except for service/fuel trucks which were white. All trucks were lettered with the same gold lettering in the same font. All of our iron has at least 2 logo decals, one on each side.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Those dog f***ing assheads didn't have a big enough sign.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: How did you do it? with a paintball gun? I've used a competitor pool builder sign to sight my deer rifle in, and then I put it back in the yard I took it out of with about a dozen holes in it..

bobcat_ron
11-22-2008, 07:57 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: How did you do it? with a paintball gun? I've used a competitor pool builder sign to sight my deer rifle in, and then I put it back in the yard I took it out of with about a dozen holes in it..

That's between me and the Court systems here. :waving:

Junior M
11-22-2008, 08:15 PM
That's between me and the Court systems here. :waving:
Dangit, well you atleast gave me an idea :laugh: hmm I can see some angry people...

RockSet N' Grade
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
My favorite t-shirt that I hold in high reverence and rarely wear came from a block laying company in California. Their shirts are a prize. On the back it has a block wall being built with a beautiful scantily clad woman laying on the top of the wall. The slogan underneath says: "DJ Construction- We lay anything".

ksss
11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Dangit, well you atleast gave me an idea :laugh: hmm I can see some angry people...

How about EMS Excavation (your current name just made shorter) then take some spin off of EMS services for your logo or catch phrase.

Bleed Green
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
clever and most surely eye catching haha also easy to remember

stuvecorp
11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I think alot of people get carried away with too much color or graphics. I drive my graphics guy nuts, I'll bring in all kinds of stuff that I like and then he'll weed it out and we end up with something cool. I used to think everything should be the same color but it is hard to find trucks all the same color, see alot that have different colored trucks but the same graphics and that doesn't look bad.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I think alot of people get carried away with too much color or graphics. I drive my graphics guy nuts, I'll bring in all kinds of stuff that I like and then he'll weed it out and we end up with something cool. I used to think everything should be the same color but it is hard to find trucks all the same color, see alot that have different colored trucks but the same graphics and that doesn't look bad.
I agree with the same color thing, but if you cant get the same color atleast letter each truck the same. When I letter my truck it will be simple just our name and number and whatever DOT crap I have to put on the truck...

ksss
11-23-2008, 02:31 AM
I also used to believe in having all the vehicles look the same. Actually I still believe in it. The problem is finding vehicles in the right configuration, at the right price in your color. I was successful for a while, my pickups were white, as was my dump truck and my 378 Side Dump tractor.

Now Ironically enough only my 5500 is white. My sign guy alters my logo layout to match whatever color the vehicle is. I now have a red dump truck, the blue/grey MACK dump, my 3500 is blue/grey and my 1500 is greyish.

I think that if everything is the same color with the same logo is better. Money being no object you could make it so, I just am not willing to do that.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 05:13 AM
I think that's key to remember. The company I was working for had plenty of money to make their rigs look the same. When you order a truck, you should be able to get it painted whatever color you want, so if you went that route you'd have no problems. But from a small business standpoint, it's easier to haggle the guy on the price for what he has on the lot vs. ordering a truck. So yeah, in a small business, the color coordination is tough. My dad lucked out with his new truck. It's silver birch metallic from GM, it's pretty close to the silver on his Ford but a little bit darker. Then he has an older Sierra 2500 that is pewter gray. They don't all match but it helps to be close, I guess, but not a necessity.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 03:04 PM
You buy plain white truck new and paint it to your colors if your that obsessive about everything matching. Like I said it is the logo or a certain color people remember.

The color of the vehical you choose because you like that colour.

stuvecorp
11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
The problem with painting is it costs money that could be better used on something else in the business.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Thats why most contractors leave the vehicals the color they came as.

If your from area like Ron lives then the common color is bright yellow, purple, gold, Red. Lots of ugly bright colors.

I like blue most of my trucks have been blue.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I try to keep everything looking the same. I even painted my international navy blue instead of the royal blue it had

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, I started working on the ad today, and its going to be simple, just the size of two business cards, but its layed out with our name, office number and address at the bottom in some awesome font, our new catch phrase thing (or whatever you call it?) at the top in big font, "We make dirt look good" and then in between will be a few of our services with Etc. after that and I am thinking of putting free quotes instead of Etc. But I am not sure yet, I will finish it tomorrow, since I got kicked off of the computer because there arent enough :wall

stuvecorp
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Just please don't put 'free estimates' and 'fully insured' on it, I always felt that was a waste of space. If you are legit you have that, reserve the space for something important. What do you want people to know about you?

Junior M
11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, I know what I am not putting on the ad now. Thanks

What do you mean know about me?

YellowDogSVC
11-24-2008, 10:22 PM

If it were your company...

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
If it were your company...
Yeah, I understand that, but I am just advertising our services and what we do..

stuvecorp
11-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Just try to be as clear and concise as you can. Is there a service you want to stress or emphasize? You are trying to catch someone's attention and pick you(your company) over the other vultures.:)

Junior M
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Just try to be as clear and concise as you can. Is there a service you want to stress or emphasize? You are trying to catch someone's attention and pick you(your company) over the other vultures.:)
I would like to emphasize the Retaining walls and the Bobcat and Backhoe work, partly since that is what we're best at, might throw irrigation in there but that brings lots of headaches and I dont like to do it unless we are on a job that needs it done and we just do it instead of subbing it out..

Bleed Green
11-25-2008, 12:45 AM
maybe you could have a small picture of a excavator setting retaining wall blocks and on the blocks of the wall have all the different services you guys offer

Junior M
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok, well finally got my grade back today, got a 18/20 so basically a 90, which I think is bull crap, I should've got atleast a 95, she deducted points because the little backhoe I put on there was slightly blurred, nothing I could do about it btw, and the short list of services I put on there wasnt totally centered. Which is total bull crap because I couldnt get them to center so she did that for me and when they werent perfect she deducted points for that. Oh, and I was dressed to casual? I dont get that, how dressed up am I suppose to get to talk for 2 minutes, I dont know but apparently my carhartt pants and a good shirt and my boots wasnt dressed up enough? Oh, well I am out of this stupid class after the first week of Janurary..

I would post a pic of it but she drew all over it in bright red pointing out my mistakes, but thanks guys you guys gave me alot of idear's for it..

RockSet N' Grade
12-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Junior.......get used to not understanding women. That was a good lesson in itself. Just when you think you deserve a good grade (no matter what age you are), prepare for the unexpected. Maybe when her sewer line breaks at her home she will call someone out to fix it who wears a suit and tie.....

Junior M
12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Junior.......get used to not understanding women. That was a good lesson in itself. Just when you think you deserve a good grade (no matter what age you are), prepare for the unexpected. Maybe when her sewer line breaks at her home she will call someone out to fix it who wears a suit and tie.....
Yeah, she's one of those southern bell's thats a little to good for you, Oh well, I am done with this class the first week of Janurary, and I know I wont be designing the yearbook or newspaper next year. but whatever I hope she never calls us for something, that bill will be through the roof!

stuvecorp
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Ok, well finally got my grade back today, got a 18/20 so basically a 90, which I think is bull crap, I should've got atleast a 95, she deducted points because the little backhoe I put on there was slightly blurred, nothing I could do about it btw, and the short list of services I put on there wasnt totally centered. Which is total bull crap because I couldnt get them to center so she did that for me and when they werent perfect she deducted points for that. Oh, and I was dressed to casual? I dont get that, how dressed up am I suppose to get to talk for 2 minutes, I dont know but apparently my carhartt pants and a good shirt and my boots wasnt dressed up enough? Oh, well I am out of this stupid class after the first week of Janurary..

I would post a pic of it but she drew all over it in bright red pointing out my mistakes, but thanks guys you guys gave me alot of idear's for it..

Dude, drop the attitude. Take it as constructive criticism so you can get better and move on. As for dressing to casual look at it you got to wear what you wanted. School is all about learning stuff happens weather it is fair or not.

Junior M
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Your right, I just dont get along with her to well and she acts like she's doing you a favor when you ask a question, But I did over reacted...

stuvecorp
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Your right, I just dont get along with her to well and she acts like she's doing you a favor when you ask a question, But I did over reacted...

I understand where you're coming from, I had some teachers that just militant and they made life rough.:)

Junior M
12-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I understand where you're coming from, I had some teachers that just militant and they made life rough.:)
Yeah, just a little bit..

I am the only person she is that way to, she's like best friends with everybody else..

Scag48
12-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Just wait until you get to college, then you get to pay to be taught by a-hole teachers.