PDA

View Full Version : Asv pt30

4900bruce
11-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I spent 7 hrs today operating a friends new PT30 .4 days old and had 21 hrs on clock this morning.
I am sorry to say not much has changed,boom tower looks stronger and this machine came with suspension limiters fitted.gauges have been changed but washers on inside of wheels are still loose which allows them to grind back of wheels away.
I could not see but was told that there are now bush,s for pins at bucket hitch.
My RC30 is enclosed cab with air ,this PT30 is open cab ,can not believe how noisy machine is even with ear muffs on.
hopefully another 25 years development from asv and we might end up with a decent machine.

Bleed Green
11-21-2008, 01:16 AM
so you think they were better off with the RC series

4900bruce
11-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Any improvment is better than no improvment.
The few changes they have made has not made me want to go out and buy one.Cat 247B2 has made enough improvments on the old 247b u/c for me to want one.

bobcat_ron
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
It's pretty hard to make a small machine like that be quiet to operate, there's a hell of a lot of compression of moving parts under the seat and behind you that would normally be quiet on a larger chassis.

flairland
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I think there's nothing that compares to RC/PT30's in their class. I've rented mt's, bobcat 553, boxers, own a NH L125, and nothing comes close. Sure they may be a little loud, not built like rocks, but with good maintenance, and a pair of earmuffs, those things are unbeatable, IMO

mag360
11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I spent 7 hrs today operating a friends new PT30 .4 days old and had 21 hrs on clock this morning.
I am sorry to say not much has changed,boom tower looks stronger and this machine came with suspension limiters fitted.gauges have been changed but washers on inside of wheels are still loose which allows them to grind back of wheels away.
I could not see but was told that there are now bush,s for pins at bucket hitch.
My RC30 is enclosed cab with air ,this PT30 is open cab ,can not believe how noisy machine is even with ear muffs on.
hopefully another 25 years development from asv and we might end up with a decent machine.

Are you saying you have an air conditioned cab in your rc30? I'd love to hear more about this, ours came with cab and heat but I was unaware of any factory ac available for it. Are you referring to washers on the bogie wheels or the sleeves on the drive sprockets wearing the inside of the wheels?
Thanks in advance for any and all info on ac for these things---that would be a great asset for summer use.

flairland
11-21-2008, 04:09 PM
For those of you who have operated an RC30, I have a question.. I know they definitely couldn't lift a skid of sod, but do you think they could at least move/slide one around?

Lawnworks
11-21-2008, 05:10 PM
For those of you who have operated an RC30, I have a question.. I know they definitely couldn't lift a skid of sod, but do you think they could at least move/slide one around?

Maybe a half pallet... there is no way a 30 can even drag a pallet.

mrsops
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
i demoed a rc30 the machine i felt was built cheap, and i dont think that machine would even be able to slide a half pallet of sod. Another thing that turned me off with that machine is that it couldnt even load my smallest dump truck where my 553 would and so would my s70

4900bruce
11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes KLC99 RC30 here comes with a/c option .a/c is fitted by a company here called Crisp Air after machine lands in country.cost an extra $10k Aud but that includes windows ,front door ,wiper and washer.
A/C unit has been the most reliable bit of the whole machine.
RC30 and PT30 have large metal washers very loosely fitted onto stub axles then track guide wheel goes onto stub axle.sand and grit get between washer and back of wheel and actually grind wheel away.

Digdeep
11-21-2008, 06:27 PM
i demoed a rc30 the machine i felt was built cheap, and i dont think that machine would even be able to slide a half pallet of sod. Another thing that turned me off with that machine is that it couldnt even load my smallest dump truck where my 553 would and so would my s70

I sold many, many 463 and 553 skids. Both decent machines, but the RC30 or PT30 would simply crush them when it comes to digging, pushing, or just plain dirt hogging. I know it would outperform even the S130 from a pushing standpoint. I agree with you that it does lack lift height though. I don't think they are any cheaper than the other small machines in its size class. I heard that ASV was releasing an improved machine with about 103" of lift height.

I have seen guys carrying over 1,000lbs with them so I think it would slide a half pallet of sod.

4900bruce
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
photo shows wheel at 300 hrs loose large washer has eaten away back of wheel and CIRCLIP groove .once that circlip comes off wheel is not far behind.
That photo was taken on job and used in court against ASV dealer.The ASV dealer here believed that wheels falling off was not a warranty issue but a maintance issue.The courts disagreed with dealer.

mrsops
11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I sold many, many 463 and 553 skids. Both decent machines, but the RC30 or PT30 would simply crush them when it comes to digging, pushing, or just plain dirt hogging. I know it would outperform even the S130 from a pushing standpoint. I agree with you that it does lack lift height though. I don't think they are any cheaper than the other small machines in its size class. I heard that ASV was releasing an improved machine with about 103" of lift height.

I have seen guys carrying over 1,000lbs with them so I think it would slide a half pallet of sod.

Your crazy if you think a rc30 could out perform a s130. when i demoed the bobcat s100 and rc 30 i had them matched against each other The only thing that is good about the rc30 it allows you to do more work because it is a track machine other then that the bobcat s100 i felt was just as quick as the rc30. That rc30 made all types of noises in the tracks, there was alot of plastic on the machine i felt it wasn't going to be a reliable machine, and its almost impossible to get to the battery whats that all about :confused:

Digdeep
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Your crazy if you think a rc30 could out perform a s130. when i demoed the bobcat s100 and rc 30 i had them matched against each other The only thing that is good about the rc30 it allows you to do more work because it is a track machine other then that the bobcat s100 i felt was just as quick as the rc30. That rc30 made all types of noises in the tracks, there was alot of plastic on the machine i felt it wasn't going to be a reliable machine, and its almost impossible to get to the battery whats that all about :confused:

I'm not saying that the RC30 will load or lift with the S130 only out push and out dig it. I can't say that the RC30 that I rented made any out of the ordinary noises other than the fact that it was pretty loud. I can't speak for the battery since I wasn't looking at buying one but after selling bobcats sfor quite awhile I could go on and on about some of their serviceability issues as well- all machines have them. I think it definitely has its place in the market and its very productive for its size.

stuvecorp
11-21-2008, 10:10 PM

I would stand in line to complain about many things about the RC 30 but it is a great little machine. Would love it if they would dump the Perkins and go with a Yanmar or Isuzu. Get some better build quality also. I don't know why more guys don't have one even with the flaws. Ours has just over 1000 hours and tracks are still in good shape. We have changed the battery twice which is not fun but it isn't that traumatic.

The lifting capability isn't that great, would like more. We have loaded the Kodiak with it, have to push material across but does it(reference photo-but without the sideboard).

flairland
11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I think that for the right purposes, the RC30 is unbeatable. mrsops, it sounds like you dont need a small digging/grading machine, you've got 15 other machines you can use to get the job done, and it sounds like you just use your s70, and 553 to hog materials around. I know the RC30 could blow them both away when grading out a backyard, excavating a stone patio.. even strictly moving materials, it would probably keep up with an s100. The only advantage the s70 has is lift height, and the s100 has lift height and lift capacity. I don't get why thats such a big deal to you sops, when you could just stock pile the dirt somewhere near your dump truck, and then bring another skid one of you many skids to load it or whatever you need to do. I think that an RC30 and say your S205 would make a great match!

mrsops
11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I think that for the right purposes, the RC30 is unbeatable. mrsops, it sounds like you dont need a small digging/grading machine, you've got 15 other machines you can use to get the job done, and it sounds like you just use your s70, and 553 to hog materials around. I know the RC30 could blow them both away when grading out a backyard, excavating a stone patio.. even strictly moving materials, it would probably keep up with an s100. The only advantage the s70 has is lift height, and the s100 has lift height and lift capacity. I don't get why thats such a big deal to you sops, when you could just stock pile the dirt somewhere near your dump truck, and then bring another skid one of you many skids to load it or whatever you need to do. I think that an RC30 and say your S205 would make a great match!

Because there has been many times where i can only get in the backyard with my s70 or my 553 and then run it back and fourth to the street to load the truck, because all my other machines were out on jobs. But i have done that before with my s70 and my s205. Lisen the rc30 has its place dont get me wrong i just was not impressed with it.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-22-2008, 12:20 PM
well if anyone hates theres so much just drop it off for me to use:)

mag360
11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
well if anyone hates theres so much just drop it off for me to use:)

Actually if you ever want to try one out you can take mine for a spin.

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Because there has been many times where i can only get in the backyard with my s70 or my 553 and then run it back and fourth to the street to load the truck, because all my other machines were out on jobs. But i have done that before with my s70 and my s205. Lisen the rc30 has its place dont get me wrong i just was not impressed with it.

Just busing your chops here but "not impressed with it compared to other small tracked machines that are only 48" wide, weight under 3,300lbs, go 7mph, can have a heated cab for year round use, etc.?":) I don't think anything else fits into that category so I guess until Bobcat releases the T100 (hopefully better than the T140) we can only compare the machine to ride-ons like the MT55 or Dingos...or the mini skids like the S70.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Just busing your chops here but "not impressed with it compared to other small tracked machines that are only 48" wide, weight under 3,300lbs, go 7mph, can have a heated cab for year round use, etc.?":) I don't think anything else fits into that category so I guess until Bobcat releases the T100 (hopefully better than the T140) we can only compare the machine to ride-ons like the MT55 or Dingos...or the mini skids like the S70.

I don't care if it was 24'' wide i still wouldn't be impressed with it. 48'' is to wide for me i need something to be 36'' wide that's why i went with the s70 so far so good. Hopefully that t100 is better then the t140 because if it is there will be one in my yard :)

ksss
11-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't care if it was 24'' wide i still wouldn't be impressed with it. 48'' is to wide for me i need something to be 36'' wide that's why i went with the s70 so far so good. Hopefully that t100 is better then the t140 because if it is there will be one in my yard :)

Mrsops: Single handedly trying to improve Bobcats sales numbers.:clapping:

Somebody needs to buy them. I have too many friends in ND who need their BC jobs. Keep up the good work.:laugh:

mrsops
11-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Mrsops: Single handedly trying to improve Bobcats sales numbers.:clapping:

Somebody needs to buy them. I have too many friends in ND who need their BC jobs. Keep up the good work.:laugh:

I don't have to improve any numbers for bobcat. They still sell more skid steers then any other manufacture out there :laugh:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't have to improve any numbers for bobcat. They still sell more skid steers then any other manufacture out there :laugh:

True. They are still #1 in market share. The pie is about 50k+ units a year in the U.S. They just don't have as big a piece that they used to.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
True. They are still #1 in market share. The pie is about 50k+ units a year in the U.S. They just don't have as big a piece that they used to.

digdeep you still own a bobcat right?

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Yep..a gas guzzling S220 although I don't use it as much except for when my RC50 won't pick something up (ROC of 1500lbs) or needs more lift height. I do like the machine though.

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I don't think I have heard him refer to it but a handful a times since he arrived on this site. Suprising in that I thought the 220 was one of BC's better machines.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Yep..a gas guzzling S220 although I don't use it as much except for when my RC50 won't pick something up (ROC of 1500lbs) or needs more lift height. I do like the machine though.

yeah i hear alot of good things about the bobcat s220.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think I have heard him refer to it but a handful a times since he arrived on this site. Suprising in that I thought the 220 was one of BC's better machines.

yeah for you to like the machine it must of been real nice :laugh: I think if you didn't have a case skid steer you would have a s220 :usflag:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM

It is one of their best machines. I guess if I had to pick any negatives it would be fuel consumption and lack of reach, but I didn't want a S205 of S250.

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah i hear alot of good things about the bobcat s220.

I picked it up at a good price but most of the work I do is small landscaping stuff and the 220 doesn't like grass as much as my RC50. If the PT60 had an ROC more than 1900lbs I might trade it in but I can lift easily over 2300lbs with my 220 and the counterweight kit. I also like the two speed.

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:15 PM
yeah for you to like the machine it must of been real nice :laugh: I think if you didn't have a case skid steer you would have a s220 :usflag:

Thats a possibility at least for a smaller machine. I would like to see them update their control system, but at least it has some digging ability and is well balanced. Its no 440 but probably as close as I have found. I thought the 256C would take up second, but that was not the case. The 220 I believe is more productive than the 256 was.

mrsops
11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Thats a possibility at least for a smaller machine. I would like to see them update their control system, but at least it has some digging ability and is well balanced. Its no 440 but probably as close as I have found. I thought the 256C would take up second, but that was not the case. The 220 I believe is more productive than the 256 was.

if you liked the s220 that much demo the s330 you wont get out of the machine

Strawbridge Lawn
12-12-2008, 07:34 PM

We do allot of sod and no you really can't move a full
pallet of sod and be happy with the results. Short distances on a 3/4 pallet are a bit better as well as a 1/2 pallet. The dryer the sod the easier it is, and be prepared to pickup pallet kinfling.

riverwalklandscaping
12-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I personally love the 30 less the fact it cant lift high enough to load a 5 gallon pail.

Strawbridge Lawn
12-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Nice looking new machine.. I have been patiently waiting to
by another with improvements. The Terex PT30 looks
interesting.

bobcat_ron
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
They are cute machines, but the side mesh should have been brought down further.

SellingIron
12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
If one of the head lamps fails. Do you goto Home Depot to get a replacement bulb??

bobcat_ron
12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
If one of the head lamps fails. Do you goto Home Depot to get a replacement bulb??

Just rip the bulb out of a child's night light!!!!!!!!

Junior M
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Looks like that cab is cramped, I agree Ron, that cuts out alot of the visibily already..

Strawbridge Lawn
12-13-2008, 08:01 AM
For a large person the cab on any rc-30 is tight. I am vertically challenged at 5 ft and I have no problems with visibility anywhere with the current model. not sure about the PT /Terex.
FWIW- As a landscaper these machines are moneymakers.
Sure, they have their issues, but if you stay in the intended niche you grow to appreciate it. When I loose sight of that "niche" I typically tell myself I should have got a bigger machine. As long as I don't say that on more than 20% of my jobs, I am still in the right machine.

J. Peterson Grading
12-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Actually the visibility is wonderful.

J.

Strawbridge Lawn
12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I e-mailed the Terex Mississippi office about a few things. In the past they have been quick getting back. A good sign. I asked about modifications/improvements.

If they beef up the front end they darn sure need to
toughen the roller wheels as they will add weight.
Lift height changes are about the best to expect from this, but boy be carefull at max height with a narrow machine IRT the grade angle.

Most of my questions were directed to what cost me the most money to fix on mine over the past 5 years.
wheel wear and drive mortors are big issues.

Ausman
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
If you dril and countersink the whell washer and screw it onto the rear of the wheel it stops the wear on the circlip groove. It you cut a rubboer washer that fits over the seal guard and keeps pressure down on the seal it stops dirt going past the seal. we get great life from the wheels.

74inchShovel
12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks to your past advice Ausman I did it to mine, replaced 4 rears at about 800 hrs. Factory should be much more proactive about this and other issues though.