PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Skills

Mike M
11-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Okay, I was cleaning lenses during a service call, and I realized I could hang out on street corners and wash windows. Cost of entry to the business would be a squeegee. ACE Hardware has one online (W. J. Dennis Combination Sponge/Squeegee Window Cleaner) for $5.79.

worx
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
You could always set up a fire barrel at a busy intersection during the colder months. Maybe spray paint your logo on the fire barrel to help with marketing. You may wind up with some cheap labor before the day is over too. I think your on to something Mike.........let's run with this.

Mike M
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about selling soft pretzels, too, but that is kind of limiting myself with mobility issues. As market opportunities shift from one street corner to the next, I can easily run with a bucket and squeegee. But I like the branding idea with the burning barrel, and the gathering spot for cheap labor.

worx
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
the gathering spot for cheap labor.

Keep an eye out for me! I'll be the one with a wife and three kids in tow.

Mike M
11-21-2008, 06:57 PM
We could make our kids work together to haul things around.

David Gretzmier
11-23-2008, 12:49 AM
My sister had the opportunity to buy a longtime window washers business about 10 years back. he'd been doing it for 20 years, and had built up quite a business with him and a helper. he drove an old toyota truck and had probably 3 grand in equipment/ladders and used simple soap and water and a squeegee. The punchline- this guy easily NETTED 150k per year, as there was virtually no overhead and little cost of doing business. Yet my sister found it to be the most boring and monotnous job she ever had. wash wash, squeak squeak. even with owner financing, she passed on the business.

Mark B
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
that is toooo funny you say that. I use to wash windows. It isn't bad money. You could use your existing customers. It sucks cleaning the inside windows. But it beats sitting at home watching TV.

As far as startup cost. Go to lowes and buy a squegee (sp). You can rent a extension ladderif you need one.

I say go for it. Looks like I will be in myrtle beach for a few weeks if all goes good.