PDA

View Full Version : Making a pool or pond for dogs

kyfireman2004
11-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have some input on making a dog pond or pool? A new boarding place in town has had a gunite pool made. The owner said it was a salt water pool. What is the reasoning behind that , Maintenance?

Personal I was thinking about make a 20*20 fresh water liner pond for the my dogs.
Any input would be nice..........
Lou

LPS Pools
11-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Salt water pools combine a small amount of salt in the water and a chlorine generator to covert the salt water into chlorine for the pool. The do tend to make maintenance easier and cut chemical costs. Salt water pools also tend to provide a much "softer" chlorine feel. That's there only purpose.

XStream Aquatics
11-22-2008, 11:40 AM
What type of dogs do you have?

kyfireman2004
11-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Lps would you recommend salt water pool or ponds for pets over Sodium hychloride. Ex,for a boarding operation.

Xstream 2 boxers.........

LPS Pools
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Personally I wouldn't recommend Sodium hychloride for a pool at all. This is a chemical typically found in many types of bleach. Although seem people like to think simply adding bleach to a pool will cheaply keep it clean and healthy, things aren't that simply. Or did you mean Sodium Hypochlorite? Which is liquid Chlorine. Although I have no idea as to how regular chlorine exposure may affect a dogs coat, you will need a consistent form of sanitizer in the body of water. With that said, chlorine is going to be the most effective sanitizer for you. It is strong enough to maintain a healthy body of water with higher waste levels. A salt water pool, especially one with liner, will in the end be much cheaper and easier to maintain and most likely be the "softest" on a dogs coat while still providing good sanitation. You will also need to be concerned about the possibility of Cryptosporidium. This parasite is already fairly apparent in dogs feces and can be a large health risk. Maintaining consistent chlorine levels (which a salt system is great for) and providing very good circulation and filtration "should" keep you in the clear. Let me know if you have more specific questions on any of this.
Dan

XStream Aquatics
11-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Lps would you recommend salt water pool or ponds for pets over Sodium hychloride. Ex,for a boarding operation.

Xstream 2 boxers.........

Do you need one more?

kyfireman2004
11-23-2008, 01:48 PM
No I have one to many......