PDA

View Full Version : Sterling trucks are no more

ksss
11-22-2008, 01:37 AM
An interesting development in the truck world. Freightliner is pulling the plug on the Sterling line. That will signal the end of the Ford big truck lineage.

The worst part is the closing of the plant in Ontario. Freightliner is closing the Western Star plant in Portland and in keeping of the current trend of exporting jobs, they are moving the WS production to Mexico. The military portion of the Freightliner program is moving to the Carolinas somewhere. They sited higher production costs in Portland as a reason for the move. A sign of things to come.

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 01:50 AM
That is old news :laugh:

It is just typical of the German company they moved all Chrysler production to Mexico.

Sterling was a good truck but not as good as what Ford used to build. Mack is now building a truck that is the same price as the Sterling. Western Star has become Freightlinerized aka cheaply constructed.

Want a good vocational truck your only choice is the T-800 Kenworth.

Dirt Digger2
11-22-2008, 02:57 AM
i thought Diamler Chrysler owned Sterling... the new "light duty" trucks they make now are the same as the Ram 4500/5500

the "Bullet"

http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/

EDIT: never mind...Freightliner is owned by DC anyway...my mistake

Junior M
11-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks KSSS now GR can whine about people in Ontario not having jobs :laugh:

GR how long ago did sterling go out? The dealer here still had trucks but all there advertisements for sterling trucks were gone since about august..

bobcat_ron
11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I never liked Sterling/Ford big trucks, I like Pete's and Kennys better.

wanabe
11-22-2008, 02:10 PM
The sterlings were good trucks! 95% of them in this area were tandems or triaxles. Very tough trucks! They were a no thrills truck that could get the job done.

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
It just has been annouced last month that Sterling was going to be no longer. I could see that coming because the kraut company is going broke. They affected B.C. when they took the Western Star plant out of Kelowna said it was cheaper to build them in Portland now they are moving it to mexico.

Ontario is really hurting just like the manufacturing states accross the boarder like Michigan etc. Major job losses in Ontario.

mrsops
11-22-2008, 03:11 PM
wow good thing i found this out i was going to my ford sterling dealer next week to look at a tandem dump i guess I'm not going any where now. That's why they were giving good prices on them

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Your going to see some good deals on Sterlings plus the fact truck sales are down. Sterling is a vocational truck you don't see many people buying them for highway tractors.

stuvecorp
11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
My .02, no big loss. I will be sad I never got my Bullet but will find a way to survive. Why not kill off Western Star at the same time?(not meaning to offend any Western Star owners) There are lots of other options but none as a pretty Pete. Feel bad for the workers that are being canned though.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
My .02, no big loss. I will be sad I never got my Bullet but will find a way to survive. Why not kill off Western Star at the same time?(not meaning to offend any Western Star owners) There are lots of other options but none as a pretty Pete. Feel bad for the workers that are being canned though.
You can buy a dodge and still have that bullet you wanted with out sterling plastered all over it..

stuvecorp
11-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't know if I can handle driving a Dodge.;) I would love to take the frame/powertrain from the Dodge 5500 and put a new GMC cab/sheetmetal on.

The smaller mid sized Sterlings, I think they were called Acterra?, they weren't to bad but don't see to many. The big trucks are ugly,.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know if I can handle driving a Dodge.;) I would love to take the frame/powertrain from the Dodge 5500 and put a new GMC cab/sheetmetal on.

The smaller mid sized Sterlings, I think they were called Acterra?, they weren't to bad but don't see to many. The big trucks are ugly,.
That what you would've been driving if you would've bought a Sterling Bullet, I would love to have a 2007 Ford sheet metal, Cummins Diesel, and an allison transmission, with GMC interior. That would be the perfect truck..

BrandonV
11-22-2008, 11:40 PM
my f750 has 3 of your 4 requests

P.Services
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM

ohhhh good reply!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

im not calling you junior anymore because you just got spanked like a whining CHILD in walmart!!!

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Only problem is, its not a pickup.

I dont see anything really funny;)

BrandonV
11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
i thought it was funny of well :-(, I tried. Lord knows what ford will do in the coming years with its relationship with international souring. you might get your wish.

KRtraxx
11-23-2008, 12:14 PM
i thought it was funny of well :-(, I tried. Lord knows what ford will do in the coming years with its relationship with international souring. you might get your wish.

Have been hearing Ford is concentrating on building their own diesel for both the 150 and the Super Duty down the road.So your right.International and Ford may not always be...

AWJ Services
11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Ford Scorpion 6.7l diesel
Claim a 3 mpg gain over the 6.4l

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-scorpion.html

ksss
11-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Ford Scorpion 6.7l diesel
Claim a 3 mpg gain over the 6.4l

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-scorpion.html

Now Ford will have no one to take to court but themselves when this engine lays an egg like the Oh No 6.0 Anyone care to guess what the trade values will be of the 6.4? I will bet it will be one C hair over the 6.0

Like the name though. They need to drop the Power Stroke name. They have already killed it off with poor quality. When first introduced with the 7.3, it meant something positive. You could not deny the powerful (for the time) and dependability of the Power Stroke. Now you laugh at em (or at least I do).

Scag48
11-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Powerstrokes are dead to me. The 6.0 was okay, but they had a few problems. Now the 6.4 is a complete pile. I realize some of them run without problems, but a lot of them don't. My dad is a big time Ford guy but when he decided to get a new truck that was a diesel, the Duramax paired with the Allison appears to be the best route.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 02:54 PM
A diesel P/U nowwadays isn't even worth buying the stupid emmision regulations did that. I don't think the Sterling bullet was ever a big seller you don't see many on the road. Sterling class 8 trucks are around but not like the old Louisville Fords were. Lots of contractors bought the L LT9000 Fords because they hauled good loads and could go places a Kenworth or Western Star couldn't go.

The turning radius on a L9000 with a 222 wheelbase even the 230 wheelbase trucks turned good. The Mack R-RD trucks were the worst for turning many places the Mack dumps couldn't go because they didn't turn sharp enough.

The old A model Kenworth is just as bad when they were used but not many of those old trucks around.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I thought about a Sterling Bullet, but a bigger truck is still a better option, that is to say if it's still worth being in business 3 years from now.
But if it's still a Dodge, I don't want it, my brother's Dodge is falling apart and the damn lift pump kepps giving problems.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 03:40 PM
For trailer pulling say a skid steer or mini excavator that is in the excess of 7000lbs on a regular basis your better off with a medium duty. Something with C-7 Cat or ISC Cummins power. Truck will last longer and cheaper to maintain. If you went with International that 466.

If you want Cummins power you want the C series or larger. You won't have a choice of Cat much longer they are getting out of the truck engine business.

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I thought about a Sterling Bullet, but a bigger truck is still a better option, that is to say if it's still worth being in business 3 years from now.
But if it's still a Dodge, I don't want it, my brother's Dodge is falling apart and the damn lift pump kepps giving problems.

There is an aftermarket high performance lift pump most of the Dodge guys run around here. It is expensive but worth it apparently. I cant remember the name of it.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Only Dodge used that lift pump that failed. Actually Dodge screwed up the whole engine management system on the Cummins used in the Dodge trucks.

The freightliner trucks that used the ISB never had lift pump problems.

CarterKraft
11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
This more of the future for for OTR trucking. With CAT pulling engines from OEMS and several manufacuters closing the shift to rail will slowly take over.

Of course this is all my conspiracy theory but, it's working.

ksss
11-23-2008, 04:23 PM
This more of the future for for OTR trucking. With CAT pulling engines from OEMS and several manufacuters closing the shift to rail will slowly take over.

Of course this is all my conspiracy theory but, it's working.

Isn't CAT partnering with IH to market a CAT branded truck built my IH?

KCfireman
11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I never liked Sterling/Ford big trucks, I like Pete's and Kennys better.My father has been driving UPS Feeder Trucks(Tractor Trailers) for the past 3 years. He was in package cars for 23 years before making the transaction. UPS has 4 main tractor mfg's. Mack, Sterling, International and Freightliner. He has driven them all w/ different loads. Single Pup trailers(28ft) and doubles(two 28fts) and 48ft trailers and the notorious double 48ft trailers. He by far loved the sterlings over all the rest of the trucks. He loves the power, torque and the comfort of them. He put Mack as his second choice.

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Its going come to the enviro nuts shutting down any motorized vehical.

Right now the class 8 trucks get poor fuel mileage but "supposidy" run cleaner. Caterpillar doesn't want to spend anymore money trying to make road engines up to emmissions standards. I would rather have Cat power in a truck than Cummins.

You might start seeing rail hauling become more popular. In Canada thou the rail lines/roads need major upgrading so rail might not be cost effective.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Carter, I think you're pretty on par with your prediction. Rail freight is way, way more efficient than truck freight and is far more environmentally friendly. Railroads need this capital boost to expand their infrastructure and I think we'll see the golden age of railroads emerge again.

CAT powered
11-23-2008, 08:07 PM
The new PowerStrokes are really PowerJokes. I've owned the 7.3 and the 6.0 and the 7.3 was twice the engine the 6.0 is. The 6.4 is terrible. (it shot flames 10 feet out of the exhaust and it is lucky to get 12mpg on an unloaded SRW reg. cab)

A lot of guys are taking Ford with blown motors and putting Cummins 24 valve motors into them and making, in a sense, the perfect truck.

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:11 PM
The new PowerStrokes are really PowerJokes. I've owned the 7.3 and the 6.0 and the 7.3 was twice the engine the 6.0 is. The 6.4 is terrible. (it shot flames 10 feet out of the exhaust and it is lucky to get 12mpg on an unloaded SRW reg. cab)

A lot of guys are taking Ford with blown motors and putting Cummins 24 valve motors into them and making, in a sense, the perfect truck.
I worked out of an '07 F-350 and it sucked on fuel mileage but the power was there, and it would fly with a 6,000 pound vac full of "product" as we called it, in reality it was polluted water with an oil product, anything from offroad, gas, air force degreaser.

KCfireman
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I worked out of an '07 F-350 and it sucked on fuel mileage but the power was there, and it would fly with a 6,000 pound vac full of "product" as we called it, in reality it was polluted water with an oil product, anything from offroad, gas, air force degreaser.were you driving this truck? Arent you only 15? I personally love the Internationals. Our fire trucks are both 2001 internationals. Lots of power and torque and they are some pumping sons of b1tches. When im driving one that has 1000gals of water in it it hauls a$$.:weightlifter:

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
were you driving this truck? Arent you only 15? I personally love the Internationals. Our fire trucks are both 2001 internationals. Lots of power and torque and they are some pumping sons of b1tches. When im driving one that has 1000gals of water in it it hauls a$$.:weightlifter:
Not on the road, but inbetween the wells I would, I'll be driving it this summer though! :clapping: Woohoo! I do know the truck would top out at 84 with the vac full of product, it would top out at around 90 empty..

Oh, yeah I am 14 but I will be 15 in March..

KCfireman
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Not on the road, but inbetween the wells I would, I'll be driving it this summer though! :clapping: Woohoo! I do know the truck would top out at 84 with the vac full of product, it would top out at around 90 empty..

Oh, yeah I am 14 but I will be 15 in March..10-4 daddy O'

CAT powered
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes, but 750s can also have Cummins or CAT power in them or a PowerStroke. The 6.4 PowerStroke is arguably the worst diesel Ford ever put in one of their trucks.

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes, but 750s can also have Cummins or CAT power in them or a PowerStroke. The 6.4 PowerStroke is arguably the worst diesel Ford ever put in one of their trucks.
I said a 2007 F350 not an F750..

CAT powered
11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Woops. Either way I'd bet that if you put a 6.4 against a 7.3 the 7.3 would win out. The newer EPA regulations are killing the durability of engines.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Woops. Either way I'd bet that if you put a 6.4 against a 7.3 the 7.3 would win out. The newer EPA regulations are killing the durability of engines.

You're right, the 6.4 is far from a decent motor. 195K on my dad's '99 7.3, still going. He even put gas in it once and ran it, no joke. I think he realized about halfway through, filled the rest of the tank with diesel and drove it home like an idiot. I would've towed it and drained the tank, but hey, my dad's a dumbass. Truck still runs and that was almost 20K miles ago, no injector problems yet.

CAT powered
11-23-2008, 10:42 PM
As long as you keep a spare CPS in the glovebox you can't kill a 7.3L PowerStroke.

That story about the gas is pretty incredible, Scag. I bet the truck revved pretty good on the ride home from the station.

On a random note about filling the trucks with diesel...

I absolutely HATE people that block the diesel pump with their little sh*tbox cars. I'm busy and there's 2 diesel pumps at the station along with 6 gas pumps. You REALLY needed that diesel pump didn't you, lady... Your minivan REALLY needs diesel doesn't it. Grrr. It wouldn't even be that bad if they'd just pump the freakin gas and leave! They'll see their little friend (who is blocking the other diesel pump) and go over and BS with them while I'm sitting there waiting at the only station within a 20 minute radius that has diesel. After I sit there and wait with my nice loud 6.0L for a few minutes without them shutting up I get out and ask/tell them to move. Then they get pissed at me because they're dumba*ses.

Sorry for the rant, but that happens to me AT LEAST 3 times at week. Whenever possible I try to go to the big filling station that has diesel ONLY and high-speed pumps. They'll pump out 100 gallons of diesel in 3 or so minutes. Unfortunately it's about a 20 minute ride to get there. It's always funny to see the idiots pull up in their cars and get out and they only see one pump. Diesel. Then they'll walk around to every other pump there to see if that one has gas. It always makes me laugh.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Forgot about the CPS. He finally got his done this spring after the recall had been out for about a year. I told him last year, he waited, did nothing, I had to drag him into the shop this spring to get it done. Did I mention my dad is a moron?

You're right about idiots using the diesel pumps. It happened to me every once in a while. I just glare at people, that usually gets them to move their ass.

CAT powered
11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I want to buy another 7.3L soon. They're great trucks. Best bet is get a spare CPS for the glovebox. I can't remember if it's the black one or the gray one that is the bad one. Anyways...

Just go to your International dealer and ask for a CPS for a T444E and they'll hand you a CPS that will fit a 7.3L PowerStroke for 30 bucks cheaper than Ford sells em for.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I had heard that trick about getting them from International for less. I'll tell my old man he needs a spare but he'll probably try to argue with me about it.

Dad was pondering getting a used 7.3 with low miles for about $15K, that's about as cheap as they get out here with 40-50K miles. But for what he got his new 2500HD for, there's a larger tax incentive on the new truck and you're money ahead with a new one. Now, if the automakers weren't giving vehicles away like they are right now, he probably would've gone the used 7.3 route.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I have owned both 7.3 and 6.0 and I prefer the 6.0 you can't beat the power. You fix the weak head bolts and do some emmissions removal the 6.0 will run circles around a 7.3. My F-450 is stock hp with 6spd manual the truck weighs 9300lbs empty. It pulls 10% grades at a easy 100km/hr (62 mph). On a wet road I can get a 9300lb truck pretty squirrly.

I doubt I would buy a 6.4 its too hard to work on. Would I go back to a 7.3 nope not worth it I would go with a V-10 before a 7.3 PSD.

If I was in the market for a new 08 F-450 or F-550 it would be V-10 power its reliable and gets 11-12mpg. The 6.4 gets the same mpg and costs 9800 dollars more.

GradeMan
11-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Ah burn those junk fords and buy a dodge diesel

AWJ Services
11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Ah burn those junk fords and buy a dodge diesel

I picture myself owning a Dodge with a great engine but at 400k miles I am riding edown the road an a bare chassis because the truck fell apart around me.LOL

I have owned both 7.3 and 6.0 and I prefer the 6.0 you can't beat the power.

Take a 7.3 add exhaust, chip and airfilter and they will pull anything.
I am just shy of 26k with my rig and the 7.3l pulls it everywhere everyday.
Most of my trips to jobs are at least 30 miles one way.
No big gears in the rear end either.Has Auto as well.

Best engine Ford ever used service wise.
I was factory trained on them when I was at Ford.

KRtraxx
11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I was kind of surprized the other day when I was at a customers and a factory Cummins service truck drove into the yard ..Was a chassis cab with a fairly large service body and a dually rearend...turned out it was an 08 Ford 6.4 F350 or 450(not sure).... I joked with the guy about why he wasnt driving a Cummins..He said he had been, with 2 different Dodge trucks for the last 8 years..Said the engines performed flawlessly but the transmissions,body,interior trim.brakes and frame flex(worst issue he said)(which caused his cube van to crack) were such serious issues that Cummins management decided to go with the Ford..Mileage is about 13 he said compared to 16-17 with the 24V Cummins.But in 90,000 miles no issues at all with the Ford chassis/engine..Said he could tell it flexes less when he drives it loaded. In a perfect world his choice would be the Cummins in a Ford Chassis......

AWJ Services
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
The new Ford built Diesel may be a winner.
On paper it looks that way.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Time will tell if the new Ford engine will work out. The way it is now you open the hood on a 08 Ford and its holy crap. You have so much wiring and intercooling pipes etc you can't even see the engine.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I have a feeling the Ford diesel will turn out crappy like the GM produced diesels back in the 90's, the 6.2 and the 6.5 (I think there was another one in there but I cant remember) were by far the worst diesel ever produced IMO..

KRtraxx
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I dont think Ford will have a bad diesel this time.The main reason they are going on their own on the diesels is they DONT want another outside produced(IH) 6.0 that cost them mucho bucks in warranty claims, let alone wrecking their reputation as the diesel leader.... Be nice if they had the same engineers that made the 304 and 456 in line engines that Ford engineered for the last ag tractors they built.Those were fuel efficient,durable and for over 10 years had some of the highest torque rise and HP hrs per gallon of fuel in the industry. They are still produced in some of the New Holland equipment today.But I'm sure the EPA will end that run soon.
Thats one of the worst things facing diesel engineers today..The pollution laws are strangling these diesel engines..

Scag48
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I will agree that EPA regs. have put a damper on good diesels. Seems to me that Isuzu has it figured out with the Duramax, doesn't seem that they've been affected by the new regs at all. From what I've heard, the '07+ Duramax's are just as good as the older ones. Hopefully that's the case, my old man just bought one and we strayed from Ford with that decision only after I recieved good reports from '07+ Duramax owners, practically zero issues, everyone I talked to had nothing bad to say about them.

AWJ Services
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
All of the newer diesels are a major pita to work on.

The original Gm diesel was a converted Oldsmobile 350 engine.

The 6.2/6.5 was a ground up design by Detroit Diesel.
The 6.5L powers all of the Military Humvees.
Then they got smart and just used someone elses engine and trans.

Ford has always used International but it will soon be to an end.
With todays technology and computers I would be hard pressed to think they would be putting out a turd.
But when I was a dealer tech I worked with engineers on several problems and with what I learned from them about how they go about designing stuff it is a wonder it will even start.LOL

Ford came out with the A4LD trans(ranger/aerostar/explorer) and they gave everyone fits.
The Engineering design team was from France(if my memory serves me) and after numerous failures Ford brought them to the states to a warehouse full of warrantied transmissions.
The lead engineer walked around for several days poking and prodding and finally just started yelling in his native language.
After calming down he was asked what he was saying and he just said

"But there cannot be nothing wrong with them"

I could go on and on with stories but I will say Ford works the hardest to get there customers vehicle repaired.
I am sure everyone has a horror story but I was in the business for some time.LOL

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I still think that Ford will still be the lead seller of diesel trucks just because they are Ford and many people are very brand loyal and refuse to run any other kind of truck..

ksss
11-24-2008, 10:46 PM
All of the newer diesels are a major pita to work on.

The original Gm diesel was a converted Oldsmobile 350 engine.

The 6.2/6.5 was a ground up design by Detroit Diesel.
The 6.5L powers all of the Military Humvees.
Then they got smart and just used someone elses engine and trans.

Ford has always used International but it will soon be to an end.
With todays technology and computers I would be hard pressed to think they would be putting out a turd.
But when I was a dealer tech I worked with engineers on several problems and with what I learned from them about how they go about designing stuff it is a wonder it will even start.LOL

Ford came out with the A4LD trans(ranger/aerostar/explorer) and they gave everyone fits.
The Engineering design team was from France(if my memory serves me) and after numerous failures Ford brought them to the states to a warehouse full of warrantied transmissions.
The lead engineer walked around for several days poking and prodding and finally just started yelling in his native language.
After calming down he was asked what he was saying and he just said

"But there cannot be nothing wrong with them"

I could go on and on with stories but I will say Ford works the hardest to get there customers vehicle repaired.
I am sure everyone has a horror story but I was in the business for some time.LOL

I know everyone likes beating up the 6.2 and 6.5TD, but other than not enough power (no different then all the diesels of that era), I had good luck with them. I had a 6.2 in an 84 3500 SRW. Great truck and regret like hell selling. I put 225K on the truck myself. Ran like a top when I sold it. I have had two 6.5TDs a 93 and a 98. The 93 had over 200K on it and the only thing I did was replace the turbo. The 98 I put 82K on and never touched it.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Dad had a 94 6.5 and it couldnt get out of its own way when it wasnt pulling the trailer, and he couldnt keep breaks on the darn thing, and but I know some guys, like you KSSS, that had awesome luck with the 6.5, so Dad just happened to buy a Friday at 5 truck..

ksss
11-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Dad had a 94 6.5 and it couldnt get out of its own way when it wasnt pulling the trailer, and he couldnt keep breaks on the darn thing, and but I know some guys, like you KSSS, that had awesome luck with the 6.5, so Dad just happened to buy a Friday at 5 truck..

The brakes on those 90's GM trucks were bad. I did not have a problem with the 03 3500 CC but I did put a set on the 98. Everyone I knew at the time had a hard time keeping brakes on them. They flat were too small and burned out when towing. Also 94 was by far the worst year for the 6.5TD. It was the first year of the drive by wire injection pump. It sucked bad. My 93 was mechanical and by 98 they fixed it. Actually by 96 they fixed the drive by wire problems but 94 was not a good year.

stuvecorp
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I plowed with an old 3/4 ton 6.2 and was a monster, it may not be like the new ones but it would plow. On the cranberry marsh they had pickups with the 6.2 and had no problems with them. I think they get beat up unfairly.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
The brakes on those 90's GM trucks were bad. I did not have a problem with the 03 3500 CC but I did put a set on the 98. Everyone I knew at the time had a hard time keeping brakes on them. They flat were too small and burned out when towing. Also 94 was by far the worst year for the 6.5TD. It was the first year of the drive by wire injection pump. It sucked bad. My 93 was mechanical and by 98 they fixed it. Actually by 96 they fixed the drive by wire problems but 94 was not a good year.
I think Dad even went as far as putting larger brakes on the truck and still couldnt keep breaks on it, he tried as hard as he could to keep that truck together and keep from selling it because he custom built the bed from scratch and it was awesome, there was never a thing laying on the flatbed, not a shovel, maybe a couple pipe fittings when you were doing a run with alot of bends in it..

AWJ Services
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
The GM diesels where great durability wise but sucked in the power department.
Just like the 6.9l/7.3l non turbo Fords.
They would run forever but would not pull the hat off of the top of your head.

KCfireman
11-25-2008, 01:00 AM
here's my dad's sterling and trailers.

CarterKraft
11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Well the cool thing about engines with low power output is yep they last forever.

Back to the class 8 deal, CAT is gonna put engines in the IH trucks only, and I bet they will only be for vocational rigs now that CAT has it's own automatic transmissions.

The 7.3 PSD in the Fords will go down as the best work truck to date, sure the 6BT Cummins is a better engine but it is still in a Dodge after all, and that is not even factoring transmissions from that era, wher again Ford dominates with the 4R100.

I bet the Scorpion will be a good engine as long as Ford learned from IH's mistakes.

Frontier-Lawn
02-22-2009, 11:46 AM
to me it was just a rebaged Ram, just buy a ram 3500 if you need a hd sterling!

Junior M
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
to me it was just a rebaged Ram, just buy a ram 3500 if you need a hd sterling!
It'd be more like a 4500 or 5500 Dodge, but same thing.. :laugh:

CAT powered
02-22-2009, 12:36 PM
No. It's the same as 3 or 4 Ram 4500-5500s. You want at least one running mmost of the time right?

Junior M
02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Now, thats not totally true, the motor will always run its a Cummins Its the tranny burning up from all the power of the Cummins:weightlifter: And the front end fallin on its face, and the rear end fallin to pieces.. :laugh:

CAT powered
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
The Cummins will run. The trans will go BOOM and the interior will fall apart twice before the truck's got 200k on it.

Junior M
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
The Cummins will run. The trans will go BOOM and the interior will fall apart twice before the truck's got 200k on it.
True, true and false imo...