PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a GIS based estimating program?

hobbsd
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know if there is a GIS or satellite based virtual estimating program out there? so that you don't have to go on-site with a wheel to measure the lawn size?

Thanks for the help =)

hobbsd
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
anyone heard of such a thing? bump...

Is trugreen using something like this?

Josh.S
12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Here is what I do...

I go to our county's auditors office website. On that website their is aerial views in the map. I can take this and measure our areas on my computer.

Try to find your county's auditors website and maybe you can do this also.

syzer
12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I think the best thing to do is just measure on site. I hate it too, but I dont know any successful companies that dont do it.

BeautifulBlooms
12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Depending on what you are doing you can get a fair estimate of property size from google earth. Mulch beds may be more difficult than lawn areas. Also one drawback is the image may not be up to date and things may have changed since th image was taken.

Jays Green Daze Landscape
01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
How can you use Google Earth to get the lawn dimensions?

BeautifulBlooms
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It is only an estimate because any lawn on slopes the area will be off because you are only looking at it with 2 dimensions, however it can save you some time in estimating some things.

Zoom in until you only see the lawn in thewindow (you need to know which house it is physically for this to work, because if you type in an address it doesnt always go to the exact house, it goes to a point in the road and there might be 4 houses to choose from.

Then there is a tool to draw lines which you can draw along the property lines and do you simpl math to figure out how big the lawn is. You can also get a pretty good idea how wooded a place is too.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
you can also try this www.goilawn.com.

Jays Green Daze Landscape
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ever used goilawn?

AintNoFun
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
msn maps is 10 times better than google earth, give that a whirl, you'll never go back to google earth again!!

BeautifulBlooms
01-24-2009, 01:20 AM
WHat happens to the lawn that is outside the lines? Just because the easement is there, doesn't mean you don't have to mow it?

Josh.S
01-24-2009, 02:26 AM
WHat happens to the lawn that is outside the lines? Just because the easement is there, doesn't mean you don't have to mow it?

You don't "have" to mow that easement.. but it is definitely expected. In the first picture it looks like he included the turf area of the easement.

What is the cost per estimate with this software? Could I use it in my area, Lima (45806)?