PDA

View Full Version : Interesting retention pond clean up

AWJ Services
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
This is at a Townhouse project and they will cover it with a deck.
It was just paved so had to do the final cleanup to the retention pond.
12+ inches of muddy silt.
No access.Walls are 9foot 6 inches tall at the lowest.
Hoisted a Ditch Witch SK 350 in and went to work.
Pushed it to the corner and used the Excavator to dip it out.
It was another companies job I just supplied the excavator and the know how.LOL
I had to dig with bucket out of view.

BrandonV
11-22-2008, 11:39 PM
got to love those little ditch witches

AWJ Services
11-22-2008, 11:41 PM
They are the best in my opinion.
I have to rent when I need one but I hope to make it a purchase for 2009.LOL
The go on the machine had never ran one before today.
Within an hour he looked like a seasoned pro.

P.Services
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
a strait edge bucket would have worked better. but oh well it got it done none the less.

coopers
11-23-2008, 04:13 AM
I am glad to see the Kubota is still working good for you! :)

AWJ Services
11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I have grown quite fond of it.
Really good machine.
It was hard to make the payment at first but it has now started earning it's keep.
The one thing I do not like is when you swing the front door up the Wiper motor is in such a position that I hit my head when climbing in if I am not careful.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, that just like how we clean manure pits out inside of barns!

stuvecorp
11-23-2008, 01:52 PM
It was another companies job I just supplied the excavator and the know how.LOL

That's awesome. We don't need no stinkin' wheelbarrow.:)

AWJ Services
11-23-2008, 02:31 PM
His 4 guys where actually going to use wheelbarrows.LOL
That mud was heavy.
This time of year work is hard to find so we will do anything.
I put in some more pics.
You can see how slimy the mud is.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Let me get this straight now, do the houses there have retention ponds built underneath to hold water while there is a major rain storm?

Dirtman2007
11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I've cleaned out a many of retention ponds but that one tops the cake! I've never seen so many columns to run into before. Well atleast I'll know how to do this if I ever get one like this to clean out.

AWJ Services
11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
One pond for the whole project and they will build a deck/community area over the top of it.
Thats what the pylons are for.
I also sleeved under all of the curbs and before the asphalt was installed.
Went under 40 or so curbs .
In this pick you can see the slabs for the townhouses.
In the other one going under the curbs.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 03:17 PM
The upscale house we have around here on the moutain sides all have retention ponds under the garage floors, water from the perimeter drains and roofs runs in and gets pumped out later or in metered amounts during rain fall.

AWJ Services
11-23-2008, 03:26 PM
The upscale house we have around here on the moutain sides all have retention ponds under the garage floors, water from the perimeter drains and roofs runs in and gets pumped out later or in metered amounts during rain fall.

Thats really a good Idea.
Some areas require all the down spouts be piped into a ground containment area.
But they do not specify the size of the the retention device so the builder installs a 55 gallon drum with an above ground relief pipe?

RedRebel
11-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Why is there a need for that in just stituations like that?

AintNoFun
11-23-2008, 03:45 PM
its a pretty big thing here in NJ where land is so scare and desirable. Ive seen a lot of parking lots with the underground retention areas. depending on where you at in the state an acre can go for a half million dollars, thats a lot of waste to make it a stormwater pond..

Let me get this straight now, do the houses there have retention ponds built underneath to hold water while there is a major rain storm?

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Thats really a good Idea.
Some areas require all the down spouts be piped into a ground containment area.
But they do not specify the size of the the retention device so the builder installs a 55 gallon drum with an above ground relief pipe?

Nope, the one house I saw had a garage that was 20x30 and it was being poured as a suspended floor with 2 supports in the middle and a lower section in the floor for the pump(s) All the water (roof, perimeter and yard) goes straight into the tank and the home owner can have a second pump put in the hole for a water hose for irrigation and gardening water usage. But then when large amounts of water inflow are detected (by an electronic measuring system) the secondary pump kicks in and starts pumping it into the storm sewer system, but only at 1/3 the capacity, so down stream systems don't get over whelmed, then after the flow subsides, the system can pump the entire tank empty or keep it topped off for summer time water usage.
This was an mandatory system at the time I read about it 2 years ago, but it's since been downscaled to an option for the "greenies" out there.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Those retention systems should be mandatory, IMO. The availability of water is going to become a viable resource in the future. Those who collect water using their house as a tarp to catch it and store it, then use it for a later date, are money ahead.