PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a aerator.you help me pick one!!

leeslawncare
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey guys , I'm going to Atlanta in the morning to get a (used) aerator .they both cost the same. one is a ryan 28inch ,an the other is a bluebird 28 inch. give me your prefrence.

JDUtah
11-23-2008, 01:29 AM
What engines do they have?
What condition are the pluggers in? They bent? What about the chain and alignment? How well do they run?

I prefer Ryan, but you gotta look at the above questions...

BeautifulBlooms
11-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I bought a new Turfco Turnaer 26 with chariot for like $3900 and it helped me go from doing 13000 sq. ft. per hour with the bluebird in your picture to 19000 sq. ft. So it was 1.5 times faster than the bluebird and I still was able to make the same amount, and my shoulders arent wrecked this season. I would think twice about buying one of those models after having used them for 3 years, I decided to just throw the big $ at a good one that will increase my efficiency and save on my body's wear and tear!

P.S. I sold $2800 worth of aeration this season, and my hourly rate for all the aeration this seasoon came to $128/hour after I did all the calculations. Thats like $80 in profit per property (maybe $1200 in total net profit) It will pay for itself in 4 years . . . and it will hardly have any hours ont he machine at that point either.

LushGreenLawn
11-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I would go with the one in better shape. The Bluebird is basically a copycat design of the Ryan, their almost the same unit.

fastcat
11-23-2008, 06:43 PM
go with the ryan it looks like it has a honda engine on it.

KACYDS
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Have used a ryan many of times......... Thats the one I would get, esp. with a honda on it.

turfcobob
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
A caution here. Designs have changed alot since the 1970s when the Ryan was designed and most everyone else copied it. The design is hard to operate is not user friendly and can be just plain mean on the body. There are units available today to do not beat you up, drive like mowers and you can ride behind them on larger properties. Problem is they cost more. I depends on how much you value your back and how much your chiropracter and back doctor costs. Trust me there are much easier units to use out there.

BeautifulBlooms
11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Well said Turfco, oh wait you are from turfco so you should know, but what he said is exactly what I was talking about after I went from 3 years of using the bluebird, to buying the turnaer26 with the chariot. You can use the chariot on most lawns, you just have to know when to detach it and just go back and forth, but even the lifting and lowering mecahnism on the turfco takes the strain off the shoulders.

SOONERS222
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I recently purchased a Ryan Lawnaire IV and love it so far. Good Luck

leeslawncare
12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
i got me one for 1150.00 not hurt good machine ...can't wait to use it this spring.

turfsurfer
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
When I first started aerating I bought a Bluebird and hated it so much I returned it within a week and got the Ryan V. IMO the Ryan was much easier to handle and operate. That being said, I now have a Z-plugger for the last few years and cuss everytime I have to walk a yard with the Ryan. it all depends on how much aeration you plan to do and how much you value your back. If you're determined to choose between just those 2, then I choose the Ryan.

BeautifulBlooms
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Ive never used a ryan, only a bluebird and now my turfco. The turfco is much easier o n the shoulders because the lifting mechanism is much easier to use. It also has the chariot that you can use on almost any yard. Small yards dont allow for the chariot because there is so much turning, but on anything over 5000 sq. ft. or so you can use the chariot on 80% of the lawn.