PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat Hyd. breaker HB980 or Hb1180?

Marshbrook
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I recently bought a new Bobcat 435 mini x to go along with my Bobcat A300 loader, and I am considering buying a hyd. breaker for them, Bobcat's web site gives two choices for both these machines, the HB980 with 500lbs of hitting force or the HB 1180 with 750lbs of force. Has anyone here had any experience with either of these two breakers, and would it be worth the extra price difference to get the bigger breaker? This is all new to me, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

bobcatuser
11-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I recently bought a new Bobcat 435 mini x to go along with my Bobcat A300 loader, and I am considering buying a hyd. breaker for them, Bobcat's web site gives two choices for both these machines, the HB980 with 500lbs of hitting force or the HB 1180 with 750lbs of force. Has anyone here had any experience with either of these two breakers, and would it be worth the extra price difference to get the bigger breaker? This is all new to me, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I have a Bobcat B950, 500lb breaker. It works excellent for the type of work I do, running it with a 334 or S185 loader.

If youíre not sure about buying the HB 1180 why not try to arrange a rental purchase agreement with the dealer. I like to rent equipment when possible, itís the best way to make a decision before purchasing.

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Both are decent breakers. You'll get more blows per minute out of the 980 than you will out of the 1180 (rated for up to 26gpm I think) although the diameter of the tool on the 980 is a bout 1/2" smaller. Depending on what you plan on breaking (slabs, rock, asphalt, etc.) the extra 1/2" tool diameter and 250lbs of force might not be necessary. I'd rent the smaller one to see if it will work in your application. If it seems like you need more performance the decision gets easier.

ksss
11-23-2008, 12:14 PM

I think there are much better breakers out their. When BC and Stanley had an agreement, that was a breaker. I logged countless hours on mine banging lava rock and numerous demo projects and never did more than replace the tool. I bought it for 5K near new and sold it worn out 10 years later for 2500 at a RB sale. Great value. The newest breakers BC is marketing don't seem to have the confidience from the dealers and the contractors that the Stanley did.

I currently have an Okada and I am very happy with this breaker. I have had it for about 3 years. Hard hitting and dependable. This breaker also does not chew on the couplers like the Stanley did. I think Kent also makes a dang good breaker. I cant remember who makes the BC breaker maybe Husky? They use a lot of GPM . Okada does not.

I would at least shop around some for the best breaker. I would at least research Stanley, Kent, Okada, BTI is also popular here on track hoes.

RockSet N' Grade
11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
not for sure, but i do not believe bobcat hammer's are huskie. huskie hammers are denoted by hh-2, their new and improved version, which does not dry fire if not engaged and has more impact force than previous models.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
not for sure, but i do not believe bobcat hammer's are huskie. huskie hammers are denoted by hh-2, their new and improved version, which does not dry fire if not engaged and has more impact force than previous models.

You might be right with that, when I rented the 500 pounder from Bobcat, I noticed it didn't fire with no load on it.
But they still aren't the best, the Cat branded hammer I rented hit much harder with less impact on the carrier.

ksss
11-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Yes Rock Set you are correct. Does anyone know who builds the BC breaker?

RockSet N' Grade
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
the huskie hh500-2 has 575 ft-lbs, 510-1180 blows per min, 9-20 gpm oil flow required, total weight with top cap 820 lbs
the hb 980 has 500 ft-lbs, 1,450 blows per min, 21.1 gpm oil flow required, total weight with top cap is 980 lbs.

the new huskie hh-2 is right up there as far as impact and quality goes.....i don't know if it is the "best".......but with alot of these second generation breakers, they are getting closer and closer to being competatively the same........

walk away from the bobcat brand, there are better breakers out there for the money.

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I big downside to the Bobcat breakers is the points, the upper part of the shaft they cast in a "lip" to prevent the point from going to far inside and keep debris from going up, that's where a few have broken off if you do a lot of prying, I've seen 5 points in 2 years like that.

SellingIron
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I would stay away from the BC Breakers. (Quick note: They weren't designed to pry up concrete. Will void warranty.)

Scag48
11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
How would they know if you pry concrete? Not to be a smartass, but seriously, how could they prove anything and void the warranty?

IMO a breaker should handle some prying. You're supposed to hammer at 90 degrees, but sometimes you need to wiggle the tip to jiggle debris loose.

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
How would they know if you pry concrete? Not to be a smartass, but seriously, how could they prove anything and void the warranty?

IMO a breaker should handle some prying. You're supposed to hammer at 90 degrees, but sometimes you need to wiggle the tip to jiggle debris loose.

That's probably why they designed the shaft like I mentioned earlier, so it snaps off at the flared section.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
That's probably why they designed the shaft like I mentioned earlier, so it snaps off at the flared section.

Sweet, that's good to know. haha