PDA

View Full Version : Lantern Lighting Trick for Hardscapers

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I am intentionally posting this in the hardscape isle instead of the lighting section, so moderators....please do not move this :)

Nothin spectacular. Just thought hardscape guys doing / venturing into lighting may be interested in seeing this.

Throughout the last 14 months we have been working at a fairly large estate home. We just lit the front of the home, along with the front entrance.

They wanted low voltage lanterns on their pillars, and they wanted the lanterns to match the one's on the dwelling.

So the client purchased 2 line voltage lanterns and we converted them to low voltage.

The conversion was VERY easy! Each lantern came with (4) candle albra light sockets.

I then went to a local electric supply house and ordered conversion sockets. the conversion sockets went from candle albra to medium base.

I purchased adapters that screwed into the medium base sockets. These adapters then allowed for low voltage bulbs.

As far as the wiring, that was easy! You simply connect the low voltage wires to the black and white wires!

The lantern in the picture has (4) 20 watt bulbs.

What makes this nice is we have uplighting on birch trees that are at the entrance to the driveway. The pillars and the trees are on the same transformer, this way all the outdoor lighting comes on and goes off at the same time.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Pillarwithlantern.jpg

kootoomootoo
11-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Don't give away all our secrets...been doing this for years. No need for conversion sockets...just buy 12v candelabra bulbs.

Frontier-Lawn
11-24-2008, 02:25 PM
personally i would do a 12v led conversion so i can get brighter light

mrusk
11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Does it even throw off any light? I never understood the point of doing low voltage for pillars.

Whats the deal with the SRW pillars? Is this a low budget job?

DVS Hardscaper
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you guys serious??!!

There are (4) 20w bulbs in there!

The pic was taken at 1:00 in the afternoon, with a slightly overcast sky!

zedosix
11-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Looks great! I'd like to see the rest of the job Andrew

tonyGub
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I am intentionally posting this in the hardscape isle instead of the lighting section, so moderators....please do not move this :)

Nothin spectacular. Just thought hardscape guys doing / venturing into lighting may be interested in seeing this.

Throughout the last 14 months we have been working at a fairly large estate home. We just lit the front of the home, along with the front entrance.

They wanted low voltage lanterns on their pillars, and they wanted the lanterns to match the one's on the dwelling.

So the client purchased 2 line voltage lanterns and we converted them to low voltage.

The conversion was VERY easy! Each lantern came with (4) candle albra light sockets.

I then went to a local electric supply house and ordered conversion sockets. the conversion sockets went from candle albra to medium base.

I purchased adapters that screwed into the medium base sockets. These adapters then allowed for low voltage bulbs.

As far as the wiring, that was easy! You simply connect the low voltage wires to the black and white wires!

The lantern in the picture has (4) 20 watt bulbs.

What makes this nice is we have uplighting on birch trees that are at the entrance to the driveway. The pillars and the trees are on the same transformer, this way all the outdoor lighting comes on and goes off at the same time.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Pillarwithlantern.jpg

There was no conversion needed. All you needed was 12 volt candelabras..same sockets that came with the lantern would have worked.

DVS Hardscaper
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
There was no conversion needed. All you needed was 12 volt candelabras..same sockets that came with the lantern would have worked.

Just GREAT......NOW you tell me!!!

tonyGub
11-25-2008, 12:01 AM

Sorry just trying to help. The guys at the supply houses dont always supply the best info.

DVS Hardscaper
11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Sorry just trying to help. The guys at the supply houses dont always supply the best info.

no, I appreciate the help, thats why we're here...to learn! I buy mostly Vista products and the Vista rep (whom is also knowledgeable with lighting in general as he used to be a lighting contractor) never mentioned that 12w bulbs were available.

And Oh! Matthew Rusk - What do you consider "low budget"? Does a man of your caliber consider $130k and counting low budget?

mrusk
11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
And Oh! Matthew Rusk - What do you consider "low budget"? Does a man of your caliber consider $130k and counting low budget?

For an entire property landscape on a mil+ house its low budget. He11 man we do 100k front landscapes!

Your not getting much for 130k. It must be a flat property with no retaining walls and no pool.

We get screwed here in my area. We need to build retaining walls on almost every project. Some of these jobs we have over 100k in walls. I'd rather see that money go to outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, etc.

DVS Hardscaper
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
For an entire property landscape on a mil+ house its low budget. He11 man we do 100k front landscapes!

Your not getting much for 130k. It must be a flat property with no retaining walls and no pool.

We get screwed here in my area. We need to build retaining walls on almost every project. Some of these jobs we have over 100k in walls. I'd rather see that money go to outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, etc.

Ya know, there is a saying, it goes like this:
"Hire a teenager while the still know it all" :)

Not sure about your speal about what one gets for any dollar amount.

And neither are you, MRusk :)

Business is about making a profit.

It doesn't matter is one is scooping dog poopie, or re-building the World Trade Center.

If someone only gets a 1200 SF patio and they pay 50 grand for only a 1200 SF patio - then what does how much one gets and doesn't get have to do with anything???

Or maybe the cost for a 2400 SF job is only $12,000.00. 12k may be a low amount of money, but maybe the contractor is netting $6,000.00. Sound far fetched??? Well.....its not. And I can explain further when I have more time :)

The job at hand is a job where 95% of the work was done at the rear of the dwelling, and was sold for full value at a time when most other contractors began feeling the economic pinch :)

I don't consider $16,000 of PERENNIALS that will be planted in the front this spring small beans :) Now, if it were shrubs and trees......then that would be very minimal :)

Keep Reading the Posts, MRUSK, you're gettin there ol buddy :weightlifter:

kootoomootoo
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM

see post #2

http://www.superiorlighting.com/Candelabra_Light_Bulb_p/s3868-sat.htm

mrusk
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Ya know, there is a saying, it goes like this:
"Hire a teenager while the still know it all" :)

Not sure about your speal about what one gets for any dollar amount.

And neither are you, MRusk :)

Business is about making a profit.

It doesn't matter is one is scooping dog poopie, or re-building the World Trade Center.

If someone only gets a 1200 SF patio and they pay 50 grand for only a 1200 SF patio - then what does how much one gets and doesn't get have to do with anything???

Or maybe the cost for a 2400 SF job is only $12,000.00. 12k may be a low amount of money, but maybe the contractor is netting $6,000.00. Sound far fetched??? Well.....its not. And I can explain further when I have more time :)

The job at hand is a job where 95% of the work was done at the rear of the dwelling, and was sold for full value at a time when most other contractors began feeling the economic pinch :)

I don't consider $16,000 of PERENNIALS that will be planted in the front this spring small beans :) Now, if it were shrubs and trees......then that would be very minimal :)

Keep Reading the Posts, MRUSK, you're gettin there ol buddy :weightlifter:

I dont care about the flowers you are going to plant. It just seems that that 'pillar' is not what you would expect to see at the entrance of a "fairly large estate home". A srw pillar is the lowest budget pillar you can build.

Maybe estate homes are different in MD then in NJ. If that is the case please correct me. In jersey a fairly large estate home is 10k sq ft +.

tthomass
11-26-2008, 12:36 AM
My garage is 10k sq ft +.........and I race my car in it :)

zedosix
11-26-2008, 12:40 AM
My garage is 10k sq ft +.........and I race my car in it :)

Wow, what kinda car you have in there, is it a bumper car?:laugh:

tthomass
11-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Apparently one guy did........

DVS Hardscaper
11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I dont care about the flowers you are going to plant. It just seems that that 'pillar' is not what you would expect to see at the entrance of a "fairly large estate home". A srw pillar is the lowest budget pillar you can build.

Maybe estate homes are different in MD then in NJ. If that is the case please correct me. In jersey a fairly large estate home is 10k sq ft +.

Always makin friends, aren't cha, Matt?

MRusk - sounds like we're on the same page as according to the MD real estate tax website, this home is 12,000 SF :)

Couple of things old buddy:

1) The owner of the home is an architect.

2) Have you seen the 2008 Techo catalog?? I'd venture to guess that 96% of the homes in the catalog are estate homes.......with pillars :) It does no good for you to sit back and type and type and type and type stuff to someone about something thats a) a matter of opinion b) a common and accepted practice.

Something for you to ponder, ol buddy:

3) Sometimes using common sense can do wonders. Instead of being a know it all teenager, and making people dislike you, you should ask questions and learn :)

mrusk
11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Always makin friends, aren't cha, Matt?

MRusk - sounds like we're on the same page as according to the MD real estate tax website, this home is 12,000 SF :)

Couple of things old buddy:

1) The owner of the home is an architect.

2) Have you seen the 2008 Techo catalog?? I'd venture to guess that 96% of the homes in the catalog are estate homes.......with pillars :) It does no good for you to sit back and type and type and type and type stuff to someone about something thats a) a matter of opinion b) a common and accepted practice.

Something for you to ponder, ol buddy:

3) Sometimes using common sense can do wonders. Instead of being a know it all teenager, and making people dislike you, you should ask questions and learn :)

But I am not here to make friends. I could careless what techo has in their catologe. SRW entrace pillares= cheap.

DVS Hardscaper
11-26-2008, 06:23 PM
MRusk - it doesn't matter, all that is your opinion.

And you don't need to make friends. Whether you realize it or not, based on the amount of time you invest here - it is a fact that you are here to establish credibility. Such unqualified statements make you look like a complete babbeling fool :)

Does your house.....oops, I mean...does your parents house have fiberglass shingles on the roof or does it have a slate roof??

Some people have drywall walls, some people have plaster walls. drywall is cheap. What do you have??

I'm a contractor. I make my money off of selling production hours. If someone wants to purchase our time to build pillars with Legos - then we're going to install Legos. If someone wants us to build pillars with logs cut from a 24" dia Oak tree - then we'll do it.

If someone wants to pay us to get in our trucks and drive around the beltway all day long - then we'll jump in the trucks and drive around the beltway all day long.

Billable hours are billable hours. Easy as that.

PlatinumLandCon
11-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Andrew has a point, we're in business to make money, otherwise we wouldn't put up with the everyday BS if we didn't.

My cousin, 26, started a construction company 4 years ago with the intent to build custom "estate" homes and high end reno's. He got the chance to build an award winning home early this year and into the summer. His ego took over and he jumped at the chance, even though he knew he wasn't a big enough company to handle the job. To make a long story short, he finished the job over time, over budget, and lost money. He still won an award for it (not sure of the magazine name) but realised he needs to focus on what makes money, not the nicest jobs. If SRW pillars are what they want, thats what I'll build.

DVS Hardscaper
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
And thats JUST IT!

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but I always use this as a comparison:

Down the road is a home that was built about 4 or 5 years ago. Not a small house, not an mansion. This house was stick built by 3 guys from the foundation up. The craftsmanship and the quality of the construction are second to none.

My other neighbor and his wife knew they wanted to move and build a new home. They wanted this builder to build their home and they had no intentions of talking to anyone else after seeing this home be built. So they asked the builder if he would build their new home.

His response was "I'm sorry, but I'm not building anymore homes, I can't make any money".

See, quality costs money. And everything has it's breaking point. And even the upper class are smart enough to say "ok $7500 for pillars or $3500....".

Poor MRusk got his girdle in a twist because I mentioned our client with an estate home. He seems to forget that estate homes are not unusual outside the nation's Capital :)

soopa
11-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Great tip! I never considered doing this.

As for SRW pillars being low-budget... uhh... ok.

CertPro
11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Any pillar is a higher end add-on

AztlanLC
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Well coming from a guy that has the answer for all and every single post brags about himself all the time.
Every job he has posted he's there for months not cause the job is so big but because he always runs into some delay due to someone else fault never his.
Every picture he takes is from far away and never a completed job.

zedosix
11-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Well coming from a guy that has the answer for all and every single post brags about himself all the time.
Every job he has posted he's there for months not cause the job is so big but because he always runs into some delay due to someone else fault never his.
Every picture he takes is from far away and never a completed job.

I wouldn't give im to much crap, he's a young wipper snapper thats all, albeit with a real drive. Can't find that in too many youngsters these days! The arrogance thing well thats another story!

DVS Hardscaper
11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Old or young, a babbeling fool is a babbeling fool.

Unless you're over 85 years old, age doesn't excuse one for being a complete ass.

I'm officially nick naming MRusk 'Garth Brooks' because he thinks with his whopping 2 years of experience that he's the Garth Brooks of the hardscape industry.

syzer
11-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Out of curiosity, what type of other pillars are out there? Brick and mortar? Mortar and stone, stone veneer?

DVS, where in MD are you located?

mrusk
11-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what type of other pillars are out there? Brick and mortar? Mortar and stone, stone veneer?

DVS, where in MD are you located?

Brick and stone..

syzer
11-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Stone looks nice! Is that natural stone veneer in that last photo?

YardPro
11-29-2008, 09:23 AM
the wall/columns in the second pic looks tacky....

bigviclbi
11-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure the columns in the second pic were built to match the existing stone on the house from old threads. But that asphalt patch job in the second pic is horrendous. What happened? My guess is the belgium block was too high and had to be comensated for , could it have been tapered down a little more before the driveway? Love the first and second ones.

zedosix
11-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the columns in the second pic were built to match the existing stone on the house from old threads. But that asphalt patch job in the second pic is horrendous. What happened? My guess is the belgium block was too high and had to be comensated for , could it have been tapered down a little more before the driveway? Love the first and second ones.

I am assuming the asphalt patch job was necessary cause of the pitch in the road. If the curbs were placed any lower there would likely be standing water and a bit of a ditch there.

AztlanLC
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Like I said we keep seeing the same exact photos over and over never a close up and actually I remember the picture from the brick pillar being in another forum when they were being build and the blocks were all out of alignment which of course was on act of god.

mrusk
11-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Asphalt patch?

This is a new devlopment. In jersey they pave twice. A base coat. And then once all construction is done they pave the final coat. The do a little 'patch' in front of each driveway so the homeowners dont bottom out their bimmers. Once the road gets the final coat on you don't have those patches.

Aztlan go cut some grass.

AztlanLC
12-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry buddy true hurts if you want I can post that picture?, and I can't since don't even know how to mow anymore.

jbailey52
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
woah , Aztlan thats sounds like you have something on someone.. what ya got picture wise?

DVS Hardscaper
12-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Post that pic!!

Post that pic!!

Post that pic!!

Post that pic!

Tyler7692
12-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Some of these idiots in this forum bicker and carry on like little b*tches. I'd name names, but its obvious who I'm talking about (and it takes more than one...)

kootoomootoo
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Was it this one...

mrusk
12-04-2008, 12:34 AM
HAHAHAH If that is my biggest slip up as a landscape contractor I think I am doing pretty good.

You guys just made my night. Lets see how your 100k jobs that you signed before your 21st birthday.

jbailey52
12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Dude, I notice that people on here do pick on youhere.. but you sound like a tool... If I was you I would think about one of my customers seeing these posts and be embarassed... but just my two cents

DVS Hardscaper
12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Dude, I notice that people on here do pick on youhere.. but you sound like a tool... If I was you I would think about one of my customers seeing these posts and be embarassed... but just my two cents

The search engine SPIDERS do crawl this site. I have sold jobs where the client stumbled across this site and found me.

mrusk
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
The search engine SPIDERS do crawl this site. I have sold jobs where the client stumbled across this site and found me.

I have had people see my pics here and call me for work.

DVS Hardscaper
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127491&stc=1&d=1228364488
Was it this one...

Too funny! This is why I love this site! Nothin like comin home from an honest day at work and seeing the entertainment!

mrusk
12-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Too funny! This is why I love this site! Nothin like comin home from an honest day at work and seeing the entertainment!

DVS find something legit to laugh about.

kootoomootoo
12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
The pillar is square ...matt's left foot is just twice the size of the right one.

DVS Hardscaper
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
DVS find something legit to laugh about.

Goodness gracious, no need to, the workmanship in the picture speaks for itself. :hammerhead:

Lite4
12-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is boulder mounted light I did about 5 years ago. It is a 12 volt conversion also and is tied into the other accent lights in the landscape. I think I read a comment from someone disregarding 12 volt systems. I would simply say to you, that you have never seen a properly installed 12 volt system or you definitely wouldn't say that.

DVS Hardscaper
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Tim R. -

I like that boulder!

Mind telling us about how the lantern is mounted. I mean, does it have bolts drilled and bolted to the boulder, or is there more to it? Also how is the cable routed? Only problem I could see is the boulder breaking apart from heavy drilling?

I live in a wooded setting and something like that would be perfect for my residence.

Lite4
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
No problem DVS,
I simply had the boulder core drilled, approx 1" hole or so from top to bottom. I then used a diamond blade on a grinder to flatten out and level the area for the base of the light. I then drilled 4 holes for the base in the stone and used concrete wedge base anchors. Worked fabulous. The wire runs right out the bottom of the rock to the circuit hub. I didn't have to do anything with the sockets, I just simply used 12v candelabra lights. There are 3- 12watt lights in the fixture and it is plenty bright. It metered at 11.6 volts at the light which is right about where you want to run those candelabra type bulbs. I am actually going to replace the existing candelabras for flicker lights this spring. I think having it look like candle light in there would be cool.

loupiscopolandscaping
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
thanx for the tips guys...good luck