PDA

View Full Version : Getting close

Scag48
11-24-2008, 12:28 AM
The weather here is driving me nuts, but it's getting better for snow. Winter is off to a slow start this year, about 2 weeks behind normal. We recieved about 12" of snow last Thursday and Friday at the hill, another foot and I'll be working. We can get that pretty easy here on the west coast. Driving me nuts though, I'm ready to roll my winter ride.

Here was the view as of today late in the afternoon. Just another foot, that's all we need.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/stevenspass.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/stevenspass2.jpg

I found a couple videos on youtube for those who haven't seen a snowcat in action. I've run quite a bit of iron, just about everything except for scrapers, and these will be more fun without a doubt. The first video I'll throw up is more or less to show the dimensions and how they run around. Plus, the audio is good and they sound awesome. I know the new BR350's are running Cat C9's putting out 345 crank horse at 1,800 RPM's. The red one coming through the shop area is a Bombardier/Prinoth BR350. I believe the BR350's were running Mercedes diesels up until last year I think it was, so the one in the video probably has the Mercedes power going from what it sounds like. We have 5 of those bad boys where I'll be working and that's probably what I'll end up running. We have a couple older BR275's as well, and 2 brand new Prinoth Bisons that my boss and other supervisor will be running.

Can't get over how awesome they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYQf96cEfM

Here's a video from Squaw Valley in a Pisten Bully. Pretty decent video, hats off to this guy. Give it a second when it starts up, for some reason it's about grooming but he put footage of the wire rope for the gondola rolling through the sheaves. I'm going to guess this was early season track packing, could be wrong, but the description said they're working 4-6 feet of fresh snow. Tough to get 4-6 feet of fresh overnight. Once the season starts, grooming crews run every night. My crew runs 7 cats every night, 10 hour shifts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvfxx_GOPI

Another decent video. This guy apparently works up at the other resort easily accessible from Seattle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxyNU5vpwk

The cab, almost like the space shuttle. Speed control is a dial on the left side of the joystick. Blades are 12 way, which is super nice. Directional control is via 2 levers on the left hand armrest, you can kinda see them in the picture. F-N-R's is what they call them, fairly simple system. These machines have a top speed of 12 MPH, will climb 100% slope and traverse 75%. When things get real gnarly, we have a BR350 with a winch.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/BR350cab.jpg

bobcatuser
11-24-2008, 01:14 AM
That must be a blast driving a Snowcat.

I worked briefly as a snowmaker at Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver. There is nothing like racing snowmobiles on a ski hill at 2AM and getting paid.:canadaflag:

Setting up the air water guns was the worst part of the job.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 01:26 AM
We don't have any snowmaking, but I'd like to learn how to do it. The hill I used to teach skiing at while I was in high school had a little snowmaking back in the day, now almost all the groomed runs have snowmaking plumbing easily accessible. I always thought about doing snowmaking or even working on lifts. Half the snowmaking guys were nuts, just as crazy as the guys in the cats. I knew 2 guys that did snowmaking at night and taught snowboarding during the day, talk about a crazy schedule.

Some of the guys from other resorts I've heard will take the cats out and build jumps off the snow whales where the guns pile up the fresh. Line up a couple cats for lighting and jump sleds and tubes off the whales in the early hours. That would be rad.

I'll have to get my kicks in other ways. There are a couple single blacks that are pretty steep that we groom and are on the grooming checklist. So steep in fact that you can't go up them, only down. On a fresh snow night, what a sledding ride that would be all the way to the bottom. I guess they'll cut loose pretty easy and will straight take off if you're in a lot of fresh snow.

How is the skiing at Grouse Mountain? Never skied there, I just know it's a smaller hill. Been to Whistler a couple times, been out east to Big White, Red Mountain, want to go to Fernie, I hear Revelstoke is pretty good, done Apex a handful of times.

bobcatuser
11-24-2008, 02:54 AM
How is the skiing at Grouse Mountain? Never skied there, I just know it's a smaller hill. Been to Whistler a couple times, been out east to Big White, Red Mountain, want to go to Fernie, I hear Revelstoke is pretty good, done Apex a handful of times.

Cypress is probably the best skiing for local hills then Grouse and Mt Seymour.

Revelstoke is world class skiing, heliskiing is about $800 per day. The new resort is booming.

I have some work scheduled this spring in Whistler. One of my landscape customers is bringing me in as a sub, the job involves landscaping an estate home. We get five star accommodations with a nice travel allowance.:clapping:

I was looking to buy a sled to take up to the Pemberton ice fields this winter but ended up buying a 21' Sea Ray:dizzy:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Can't beat a Sea Ray. My old man has a 22' he's had for a long time. It's older than dirt, but they don't build 'em the same anymore. Old Ford inline 6 with an OMC inboard/outboard. It's on the small end for any serious water, but it's pretty worthy of rough straights.

Whistler is insane, I'd totally go up there and work for a winter running a cat or something. Just so damn expensive to live there is the only problem. Pemberton is sweet, I went up there a couple times while at Whistler. Some good sledding to be done up there.

I had heard Revelstoke was having financial problems with the resort, I suppose they tried to get too big, too fast outside of the heliskiing operations. But, the skiing is awesome I hear. Fernie is one of the best kept secrets I think and Red Mountain is a pretty rad place to drop in. Canada is by far my favorite place to ski, however I've never made it south to Utah or Colorado to do any skiing, so I guess I better not sell this country short of good skiing too quickly.

coopers
11-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Yeah this weather we've had is boring. Skiing is usually an option by now or at the very least by Thanksgiving time. I hope we get some good systems coming out of the Gulf of Alaska...with some cold air out of Canada. That would be snow for all of us! Not just the mountains. But at the very least, the mountains need an ass load more snow.

Scag, just don't let this happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6echOlWDxw&feature=related:hammerhead:

bobcatuser
11-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Can't beat a Sea Ray. My old man has a 22' he's had for a long time. It's older than dirt, but they don't build 'em the same anymore. Old Ford inline 6 with an OMC inboard/outboard. It's on the small end for any serious water, but it's pretty worthy of rough straights.

Whistler is insane, I'd totally go up there and work for a winter running a cat or something. Just so damn expensive to live there is the only problem. Pemberton is sweet, I went up there a couple times while at Whistler. Some good sledding to be done up there.

I had heard Revelstoke was having financial problems with the resort, I suppose they tried to get too big, too fast outside of the heliskiing operations. But, the skiing is awesome I hear. Fernie is one of the best kept secrets I think and Red Mountain is a pretty rad place to drop in. Canada is by far my favorite place to ski, however I've never made it south to Utah or Colorado to do any skiing, so I guess I better not sell this country short of good skiing too quickly.

My Sea Ray is a bow rider powered by a 350 with bravo one stern drive, 50 MPH. It only has 160 hours and is like new, there are some good deals on boats lately.

You should check out Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. I drove through those states on my way back from Texas back in March. In Laramie Wyoming I stayed at a hotel that was like a ski lodge, If I had more time it would have been nice to do some sightseeing.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Winter is a little slow this year. I heard on the news Whistler might be open this weekend. I don't ski never really interested then some people I know can't get enough. Ski resorts are going to find it tough in B.C. because people just don't have any extra money to spend. Whistler is too expensive for most people. The other mountains are more reasonable in prices.

GradeMan
11-24-2008, 05:50 AM
AH Gracel Rat are mountains will be fine, and are economy will bounce right back

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
How is the visibility in those snowcat things? I bet that is where John Deere got the idea for that forward dozer..

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Even my little R/C Pisten Bully is impressive in powder. Let it snow, let it snow!

Scag48
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
How is the visibility in those snowcat things? I bet that is where John Deere got the idea for that forward dozer..

Visibility is awesome, the blade is right there. You have mirrors to watch the sides of the machine, much like a truck. But, it's like any other piece of equipment, you're in it long enough and you know exactly where the tracks/tiller are, width wise, all the time without the mirrors.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
AH Gracel Rat are mountains will be fine, and are economy will bounce right back

I think Whistler will see the biggest drop. Who can pay 300 dollars a night for a hotel room ?

Scag48
11-24-2008, 02:17 PM
GR, what you're missing about Whistler is the clientele base. You're right, the average joe can't afford to go skiing there. They haven't been able to afford it in years past so this year won't be any different. Whistler attracts 2 types of skiers: the super rich or the super good skiers, either way, they're going. The super rich go because of the village, the super good go for the absolutely sick terrain. I put myself in the latter category, I'd go to Whistler regardless of cost just so I can ski Spanky's ladder on Blackcomb. I don't make a wad of cash, but I'm a die hard enough skier that I don't really care what it costs. A season pass where I'm working is $900, luckily I got mine free as an employee or I'd be out $900.

Skiing puts life into perspective. While everyone else is running around blowing money on the latest electronic toy, I'm out getting a lot more joy for my dollar than the newest iPhone. I think a lot of people in society lose track of what's really important in life and shoot to keep themselves happy with material items. I myself go absolutely apesh!t on a snow covered slope, beeing doing it this way for the better part of 18 years. I do a lot of backcountry skiing where there is no resort or lift. You bum a couple snowmobiles, take a couple of your buddies, and get lost in the hills chasing powder. It's a little more risky, avalanches are prone in the backcountry, but it's worth it. I'm a little more hardcore than the average skier, but when you're addicted to skiing you just go regardless of cost.

The Peak 2 Peak gondola at Whistler Blackcomb is scheduled to open in about 3 weeks, that'll be sweet.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Even the rich are not spending the money. It is why Whistler is worried you watch the local news and Whistler is experiencing a big drop in tourism. Whistler was almost not going to exist this year because they needed a loan to pay a massive debt.

The other local mountains will see more people because they are cheaper.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Whistler is halfway backwards, they have more people there during the summer than they do in the winter. Now, with that said, unless you're a mountain biker, there really isn't a whole lot to do once you get there in the summer, except for some glacier skiing but that's small peanuts. The majority of their summer tourists are morons who just show up there, spend money in the village, and hang out. I would imagine this summer was rough on them for that. I don't believe they will have an issue with the ski season, like I said, folks that go to Whistler to ski are going for a reason whereas the summer crowd just goes to be there and that group represents a larger number than winter guests.

You're right though, the cheaper resorts will have decent numbers this year. Maybe not epic just because skiing is expensive and if it's a smaller hill, it attracts only "recreational" skiers who would rather not ski than go broke. I like to have a bunch of money in the bank, but skiing I'd go broke to go do.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
We will see but the money in B.C. isn't floating around like it was in the previous years. Too many rich people have seen their investments take a chit kicking.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah but Whistler is a diverse place. I've met people from England, Austria, Italy, bunch of people from across the world come to ski there. Like I've said, the skiing is good, they'll be fine in the winter. The summers is what would worry me, mountain biking just doesn't bring the numbers, although it is an awesome place for that as well. I rode Whistler in '04 I think it was, since then they've added a bunch of mountain biking terrain. It was awesome then and I know it's even better. However, the mountain biking alone isn't enough to maintain the thirst and 70% of the people who head up in the summer do practically nothing except for spend money in the village buying crap they don't need. Tough to keep that clientele returning when things slow down as they don't even really need to be there in the first place.

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Whistler is a great place to take "rental" women.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Whistler is a great place to take "rental" women.

Why would you want to spend that much on them? :laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Ron quit browsing Hastings Street for your future wife to be, taking them to Whistler isn't going to make them look better :laugh:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Hastings is legit. A bunch of my friends and I were there last August for my buddy's bachelor party, or "stag" party as you canucks like to call it.

GR I think you and Ronnie need to head down there one of these weekends so that both of you have a better chance of getting some action.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Nope I'am not into woman with all kinds of diseases. Ron likes the ones with needle tracks in the arms and missing teeth :laugh:

Junior M
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
GR I think you and Ronnie need to head down there one of these weekends so that both of you have a better chance of getting some action.

I dont think GR will get any if all he talks about is the freakn economy and loggers not having jobs and all the crap he always talks about.. :rolleyes:

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Nope I'am not into woman with all kinds of diseases. Ron likes the ones with needle tracks in the arms and missing teeth :laugh:

That made me laugh and sh*t myself. :laugh:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM

I'd defiantely agree that off Hastings down into Vancouver there are some sketchy folks. We were down there walking around and saw quite a few syringes on the sidewalks and quite a few folks sleeping on building stoops.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't thing we should talk about Vancouvers street workers in actuality its not funny because there is good people that have gone bad.

Vancouver is a freak show it may be a good place for jlm335 to visit :laugh:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Vancouver is a freak show it may be a good place for jlm335 to visit :laugh:

Oh for real, that would be the best field trip Jr. will ever go on. Hell, he's probably still at school right now, might as well ask before you leave Jr..

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh for real, that would be the best field trip Jr. will ever go on. Hell, he's probably still at school right now, might as well ask before you leave Jr..

Jr. would fit in real nice there, half the crack heads have about as much edumakashun as he does and slur their speech like his deep south accent. :laugh:

talus
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
:clapping:Holy crap Gravel Rat! Your making jokes. I did't think you had it in you. If your face feels funny, it's just a smile. Now, doesn't it feel good?:laugh:

bobcatuser
11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
We will see but the money in B.C. isn't floating around like it was in the previous years. Too many rich people have seen their investments take a chit kicking.

GR you have to understand the people that have old money are recession proof. Some of these people make more in one nightís sleep than an average person makes in a year.

Imaging inheriting multiple warehouse complexes, generating hundreds of thousands per month in rent with no mortgage or real expenses. Or a shipping line that owns freighters that were paid for on their maiden voyage in 1980 and are still in service making you money.

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Or a shipping line that owns freighters that were paid for on their maiden voyage in 1980 and are still in service making you money.

Docking fees from ports and crossing through the Panama Canal are outrageous, trust me, they are huuuuge, they get charged by the foot and the weight.
Then re-painting every 3 years, complete refurbishment every 5 years, minor repairs every year and dry dock fees, they really add up.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Look I got a sixth grade edumukashun thats pretty good for my area! :laugh: I know a guy that failed ninth grade 4 times.. :laugh:

I think I'll stay in the south I cant stand that "Ehh, and Booger" crap.. :laugh:

ksss
11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Look I got a sixth grade edumukashun thats pretty good for my area! :laugh: I know a guy that failed ninth grade 4 times.. :laugh:

I think I'll stay in the south I cant stand that "Ehh, and Booger" crap.. :laugh:

6th grade eh? That must make you like an Ivy league graduate among your peers?:laugh:

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:36 PM
6th grade eh? That must make you like an Ivy league graduate among your peers?:laugh:
Hmm more like a Pine league, we dont know what ivy is.. :laugh: :laugh:

Scag48
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Another job opportunity. I just bought a new pair of skis last week from a guy who runs a small shop. I guess he's swamped and he figured I knew enough about skis and the biz that he offered me a job to help him out. So I'll be doing that on the side, along with my grooming job and I'm plowing snow for a buddy so that I have a place to live this winter. While I'm working on the grooming crew, the mountain is 80 miles from either of my reisdences. I'll be living 50 miles from my parents house and 100 from my Seattle area place. In order to live at this place, I am required to plow the snow as well. I'm going to be a busy dude this winter it seems. And I'm supposed to be shopping for another skid for my old man, that takes a little time as well. I may put that one off until spring, I'm just not going to have the time once the season starts.

stuvecorp
11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Another job opportunity. I just bought a new pair of skis last week from a guy who runs a small shop. I guess he's swamped and he figured I knew enough about skis and the biz that he offered me a job to help him out. So I'll be doing that on the side, along with my grooming job and I'm plowing snow for a buddy so that I have a place to live this winter. While I'm working on the grooming crew, the mountain is 80 miles from either of my reisdences. I'll be living 50 miles from my parents house and 100 from my Seattle area place. In order to live at this place, I am required to plow the snow as well. I'm going to be a busy dude this winter it seems. And I'm supposed to be shopping for another skid for my old man, that takes a little time as well. I may put that one off until spring, I'm just not going to have the time once the season starts.

Scag, the skid part is easy - just call your friendly Case dealer and have him deliver a shiny 465. Problem solved.:)

Scag48
11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Scag, the skid part is easy - just call your friendly Case dealer and have him deliver a shiny 465. Problem solved.:)

You're right, that's what I'd do. I'm actually weighing options for a 445/450 as I think a 465 would be a little too much for my dad. I doubt he'll buy new, that's the other issue. He needs a 2,500 ROC machine, or close to it. Would love a 440 but at only 2,200 ROC, it won't lift enough.

stuvecorp
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
You're right, that's what I'd do. I'm actually weighing options for a 445/450 as I think a 465 would be a little too much for my dad. I doubt he'll buy new, that's the other issue. He needs a 2,500 ROC machine, or close to it. Would love a 440 but at only 2,200 ROC, it won't lift enough.

The 440 is a sweet machine, if you have tracks or VTS it will lift much more. I have always liked the 450/90XT. Are you guys thinking of running tracks?

Scag48
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
No tracks, don't really need them. They would be super nice if he did more excavation, but he doesn't. The machine is pretty much a wheelbarrow and moves pavers, retaining wall blocks, etc.. The most dirt he moves at one time is around 100 yards, if that. IMO that's not enough to constitute having tracks and mud isn't an issue, ever. If he was doing larger grading jobs and needed the pushing power, I'd say tracks would be a great investment. If he was to get tracks, getting VTS would be the only way. Dedicated track machines take it in the shorts for resale.

In all reality, he doesn't need a bigger skid steer. The only reason for stepping up is to move pallets of material easier, the 216 does everything else just fine. It makes it hard to justify a machine purchase just so you can move pallets of material. The way he moves them around now is he'll have the crew break them down in half so the 216 can lift them. It's almost not even worth trading a machine out just for that. It's peanuts to pay the crew to break the pallets down compared to what it would cost to buy another machine.

Gravel Rat
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
You know you will make a decision on the right size machine and almost get to the point of signing the papers and your dad will change his mind :laugh:

Give him your choices and say here you decide :)

Scag48
11-25-2008, 05:35 PM
You know you will make a decision on the right size machine and almost get to the point of signing the papers and your dad will change his mind :laugh:

Give him your choices and say here you decide :)

You almost know him better than I do. :laugh: I plan to do the research, spec the machine, give him options and let him figure it out. I can't complain too much, he gave me something to do after I got laid off in October. I don't take any crap off him though, I made him a fair amount of money this year.

stuvecorp
11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
No tracks, don't really need them. They would be super nice if he did more excavation, but he doesn't. The machine is pretty much a wheelbarrow and moves pavers, retaining wall blocks, etc.. The most dirt he moves at one time is around 100 yards, if that. IMO that's not enough to constitute having tracks and mud isn't an issue, ever. If he was doing larger grading jobs and needed the pushing power, I'd say tracks would be a great investment. If he was to get tracks, getting VTS would be the only way. Dedicated track machines take it in the shorts for resale.

In all reality, he doesn't need a bigger skid steer. The only reason for stepping up is to move pallets of material easier, the 216 does everything else just fine. It makes it hard to justify a machine purchase just so you can move pallets of material. The way he moves them around now is he'll have the crew break them down in half so the 216 can lift them. It's almost not even worth trading a machine out just for that. It's peanuts to pay the crew to break the pallets down compared to what it would cost to buy another machine.

That's funny, one of the biggest chores I was sick of was splitting pallets and the Mustang was to eliminate that. Isn't it wild how we all use our skids differently?

minimax
11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
You have to get the local CASE dealer to call you back if you want to try a machine out and here the dealer sucks rocks.I did like the feel of the 440ct at the conexpo.But I went to case dealer when I could not get any of the sales guy to call me back,and try a 450ct in there yard and kill it trying to fill the bucket in a pile of 5/8" rock and it had a tough time.

minimax

Scag48
11-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you go to the Marysville dealer? I was up there this spring and that one sucks, they don't even have a skid on the lot. There's a dealer in Moses Lake which we'll probably go to. I've said it time and time again, if the service sucks, I don't care how good the machine they sell is.

minimax
11-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Yes it was marysville and I think home depot or lowe's lawn mowers dept. has better service.

minimax

Scag48
11-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah that branch is no good. They had about 12 machines on the lot, no skids, and 1 guy in the office. Yep, serious dealership. The big branch is down in Auburn, I was going to head down there today but got hung up. I'm headed your way for the holiday, I'll honk on my way by the shop. :waving:

Scag48
12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Well we've been plowed with high pressure for the last week, again, so we're still not seeing snow this week. Things are supposed to be getting gnarly next week, all week, and we can get enough snow to start operations in 1 day if things really go crazy. Still screwing around doing cleanup stuff and have been out in the hills on the dirtbike scouting backcountry ski runs. Got my new skis yesterday, waxed and ready to rock. I talked to my boss and he said he's going to get us new guys up to train on the cats as soon as possible, so I'm just hanging out for the time being.

Construct'O
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
You can have all my snow if you would like.Not enough here to do what you want to ,but it melted today and got muddyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!

Took me over an hour to cleanout the tracks on the old dozer.It really gets packed in there, like a beaver dam:laugh: with all the cornstalks and bean stuble.Cleaning silt out of erosion terraces.

On east and north of us they got 8 to 10 inches of snow over the weekend.They are talking more rain turning to snow moving in tonight and tomorrow.Maybe 5" north and southeast of me.I'm hoping it misses here.80% chance so doesn't look good.

What will the training consist of :confused:Good luck:usflag:

Junior M
12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I'd like some snow! I need to get a house wired early, so I can work a deal on the shop the lady is trying to keep from going back to the bank.. Man is it awesome! but anyways I would like to know what the training consists of, and I would like some pics I am curious what one looks like inside..

Gravel Rat
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
No snow yet in the mountains that people don't ski on let alone the ones that people do ski on. We haven't even had any frost yet so either this is going to be a warm wet winter or we are going to get hit hard and strong later in the month or in January.

I really don't like the cold weather so if we don't get any white stuff is fine with me.

bobcat_ron
12-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Here's to hopin' for a warm and wet winter in 2010!!!!

Gravel Rat
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I would pizz my pants laughing if 2010 would be the warmest winter on record :laugh:

It is December the 2nd today and not one day of frost yet. The highways dept hasn't had to spray the road with liquid car ruster.

coopers
12-03-2008, 05:53 AM
It's hit and miss on our winter this year. There have been past winters just like this, mild temps and no major storms. But come January-March, watch out! The weather does a 180 and becomes a nice snowy winter. It's in the books for reference. I'm thinking we'll see things turn after December.

Scag48
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
It's hit and miss on our winter this year. There have been past winters just like this, mild temps and no major storms. But come January-March, watch out! The weather does a 180 and becomes a nice snowy winter. It's in the books for reference. I'm thinking we'll see things turn after December.

Since I've had time on my hands, I've been doing lots of weather research. My prediction is that we may see enough snow next week to be open by next weekend, but it's too far out to say what kind of accumulation we'll see, but they weather guessers are calling for snow starting Sunday/Monday. I'm betting on the dry early season, then get absolutely pounded with snow during January-March.

Scag48
12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd like some snow! I need to get a house wired early, so I can work a deal on the shop the lady is trying to keep from going back to the bank.. Man is it awesome! but anyways I would like to know what the training consists of, and I would like some pics I am curious what one looks like inside..

Well ahead of you Jr., as soon as I'm up working I'll get some video. The interiors are insane, Recaro seats with 4 point harnesses, all sorts of cool stuff.

coopers
12-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Scag, I read on komo's site that mid-December has some hope! They said the jet stream is supposed to be switching and going up into the Gulf of Alaska and then dipping down from Canada. They said it'll be stormy for us in the lowlands (not snow yet) and good snow coming down in the mountains. So in a couple weeks we hopefully will see change. :clapping:

Scag48
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, been watching the forecast 4-5 times a day. Should be seeing some snow on Sunday and hopefully all week, hard to say if serious accumulation will happen. I'm thinking maybe next weekend we'll get open depending on the snowfall next week. If not next weekend, we should be running 2 weeks from now. Super late opening, but better late than never. Bored out of my mind, I'm doing useless tasks to keep myself half-way amused. It needs to hurry up. Temps are finally cooperating, it's cold out east here today, finally below 40 for the last couple days. I think we saw 35 yesterday and that's about all it is today. I feel it in the air, it's coming. I think it's going to be a whopper season once it gets here, I think we'll get a wad of snow end of December, it'll dry out for a couple weeks, pounded in mid to late January and into February.

coopers
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think things are changing. The actual legit weather dude, not Steve Pool, put another link up talking about next week's forecasting. The models are hinting at an arctic outbreak but he's not sure yet....he said it's too far out but there's two themes they're entertaining....one is mountains get a lot of snow and we get stormy weather down below...or everyone gets snow.

Scag48
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I hear that brother. I've been watching things and I think it's going to get interesting. Forecast has been upgraded in favor of snow, I think the high for the week is supposed to be 20-3 degrees cooler than expected, we should get very little, if any, rain in the passes. Most precip. should be falling as snow, about time. The hill I worked at during high school is open today and I'm headed up tomorrow, they have snowmaking and have opened up 1, but hey, it's skiing. I might score a few pics of the carnage.

Scag48
12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
7 inches of snow fell last night at the base elevation,the next 3 days are hit and miss as far as serious accumulation. Come Friday things are supposed to break loose and it's going to be stupid cold, they're calling for temps at 4,000 feet to be right around 15 for the high, lows around single digits on Saturday and Sunday. This weekend will bring a decent storm it seems, during the work week it's hard to tell but I think we'll get small amounts of snow starting tomorrow during the day, Wednesday, Thursday and it'll cut loose Friday.

Tried out the new boards yesterday, felt like East coast skiing. Snow only down the middle of the run, rest of the hill was dirt. Man made snow isn't the best but my childhood hill was able to open up 1 run, just enough to keep me from going insane. As for the new skis, love them so far. New pair of deep snow boards on the right, my trusty hard pack rockets on the left.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/Skis001.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/Skis002.jpg

Junior M
12-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I am even ready for you to go to work! I want to see some pic's! I would love to go hauling ass up a mountain in a snowcat on a steep slope, but I cant for now, so I need some pics! :laugh:

Bleed Green
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
so what do you do the rest of the year workwise? Is working with the snowcat your main job in the winter?

Scag48
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I am even ready for you to go to work! I want to see some pic's! I would love to go hauling ass up a mountain in a snowcat on a steep slope, but I cant for now, so I need some pics! :laugh:

I'll get some once we get rolling. I'd say we're t-minus 7 days right now looking at numerous forecasts.

so what do you do the rest of the year workwise? Is working with the snowcat your main job in the winter?

This is my first year on a grooming crew, but I'd like to do it every year from here on out. That is unless things get stupid busy next winter on my dirt crew and I absolutely have to work during the winter, but I don't think next year that will be the case. I like skiing for free and being an employee ensures that. And if I keep this gig going during the next few winters, I will seasonally take a 4 month hiatus from Western WA, which is sometimes refreshing to get away from all the traffic and BS. That and Seattle in the winter is straight depressing, it rains a lot, there's little to do as outdoor activities in the rain are far from desireable, cloudy all the time, screw that. If it's going to be cold and precipitation is falling, it better be in the form of snow. I hate being at home at my parent's house currently, makes me feel like I've failed at life but it's only temporary. Once the hill gets open and I start running a snowcat, I'll be in a small town in the Cascades. Best of both worlds, living on my own (again) and not in Western WA. Plus, I'll be getting paid to have fun.

coopers
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah hopefully this weekend pulls through. The weather for this past weekend changed like 4 times and that was two days before the wknd! Oh well, I'm sick of this boring winter. If they're calling for snow down at my elevation for three days this wknd it'll be good times up there!

Nice skis by the way! I haven't been up on the slopes for years. Too busy. LOVE skiing though.

Scag48
12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah it's supposed to be cold, that's for sure. My only concern is the amount of precipitation, hopefully there will be enough available for serious accumulation, not just 3-4" shots here and there. We need 2 more feet and we'll be good to fly. Forecasts are showing a precip shadow area east of the Cascades which hints that there won't even be enough precip to make it across the Cascades, which usually means some precip but not tons. Usually a killer storm will pound the entire range all the way across, forecasts aren't predicting that currently. We'll see what happens.

You should get out and ski this year, when it happens. I have a buddy of mine that I've converted from snowboarding that I will be teaching how to ski. Haha. As for the skis, they're a little different than what I'm used to. My Head's are 6 years old, last pair of skis I bought. They were considered a wide ski when I bought them. As you can clearly see, the standard has changed drastically in the last 5-6 years. The joke is that the new boards are designed for deep powder shots, but they handle groomed runs and ice just fine, I was definately surprised. With this new pair, I'll be attempting 15 foot cliff drops this year, something I've hesitated to do in the past due to lack of flotation on the landing. Usually on a not so wide ski, you land and the shovel buries and face first you go.

Scag48
12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I think we'll be up and rolling this weekend, if the hill doesn't open up we'll at least have the cats fired up and start track packing. Weather service is putting out storm advisories already, calling for 1-2" of snow per hour between Friday and Saturday, possible accumulation of 18"-30" between Friday and Saturday alone and snow will continue all day Saturday into Sunday AM. We need at least 2 feet, 20" would probably get us going, but 24" would be sure fire opening status. We're looking at single digit temperature lows and highs in the low teens next week with lows in the high teens/low 20's starting Friday to fire this storm. Thankfully we won't loose any snow on the dry days next week due to warm temperatures like we are today (36 degrees) so it'll hold us over until the next front works its way in late next week. I'll keep posted for Jr. as soon as I have pics.

Junior M
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I think we'll be up and rolling this weekend, if the hill doesn't open up we'll at least have the cats fired up and start track packing. Weather service is putting out storm advisories already, calling for 1-2" of snow per hour between Friday and Saturday, possible accumulation of 18"-30" between Friday and Saturday alone and snow will continue all day Saturday into Sunday AM. We need at least 2 feet, 20" would probably get us going, but 24" would be sure fire opening status. We're looking at single digit temperature lows and highs in the low teens next week, thankfully we won't loose any snow due to warm temperatures like we are today (36 degrees) so it'll hold us over until the next front works its way in late next week. I'll keep posted for Jr. as soon as I have pics.
Nice! :cool2:

stuvecorp
12-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I am looking forward to hearing about and seeing some pictures of the scenery and your chariot.

Scag48
12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
It's going to be a whopper of a storm it appears. Local forecasters are calling for 2-3' of snow at the base elevation of the hill, perfect, we're sitting on 6" already so even 24" would be awesome, 36" would be outstanding. Looks as if I will be working come this weekend unless the storm ends up being a dud but I doubt that'll be the case. Will keep posted.

I'm on 48 hour notice, but at this point I'm figuring more like 12 hour notice. It's supposed to cut loose and dump Friday afternoon through Saturday night with a little finish dusting Sunday morning. Could be working Saturday at the earliest, but my phone will be on. My iPod is charged, my pack is full of gear and tools, peanut butter sandwiches will make their way into the pack Saturday AM, ready to rock.

Junior M
12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Dont forget the camera! I really want to see some pics!

Gravel Rat
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I heard its supposed to be warm weather from the south and it supposed to get warm enough for shorts and t shirts :laugh:

I'am joking the weather is supposed to get cold by friday or saturday so we might see some white crap this weekend.

Scag48
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I heard its supposed to be warm weather from the south and it supposed to get warm enough for shorts and t shirts :laugh:

I'am joking the weather is supposed to get cold by friday or saturday so we might see some white crap this weekend.

GR, a joke?! Holy crap! Haha. Yeah you guys are going to get cold up there as well I hear. Vancouver is supposed to be gnarly cold. Jetstream moves south of Oregon trapping artic air off the west coast. Seattle area is supposed to be around 25 degrees on Sunday, I've seen it that cold a few times, last year mainly, but it doesn't happen too often. Worst thing about coastal areas and cold weather is the humidity, 25 degrees there feels like -5, cold all the way to the bone.

We'll be seeing 10-15 degree highs during the day on Sunday. Thankfully I invested 3 years back in a North Face full down jacket. Not terribly waterproof, but decent wind resistancy and it can be 5 degrees and all I have on underneath is a t-shirt and I'm good. Down jackets are the noise.

Gravel Rat
12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Any bit of snow will cripple Vancouver you will see it all over the news a major crisis there is snow on the roads and congers and india can't drive in it. Can you say smash up derby :laugh:

The local hills in B.C. are looking for the snow too because ski season isn't happening with no snow.

One of the truck drivers said to me couple weeks ago that the farmers almanac (sp) said it was supposed to be a mild and wet winter.

Usually we have had some frost by now it is dec 11 and I haven't had to scrape the winshield yet this year.

Dirt Digger2
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
just dont do this

Gravel Rat
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't know if Scag will beable to stay awake during the night shift he probably will be finding a nice place to have a nap in the snow groomer :laugh:

The worst part of the job would be getting up on the mountainside and its dammit I got to go do a number 2 :hammerhead:

Dirtman2007
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM

As I'm typing this i'm sitting in shorts and a t shirt:laugh: It's 70 degrees and raining out. Gotta love winter in NC:cool2:

Junior M
12-11-2008, 05:19 PM
As I'm typing this i'm sitting in shorts and a t shirt:laugh: It's 70 degrees and raining out. Gotta love winter in NC:cool2:
Same here! except I dont know about the temp, but it for dang sure aint cold out!

I cant believe I am actually going to pay good money to go sit in the cold in about a week, I must be wrong in the head ;) :laugh:

coopers
12-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah if they are putting out WINTER STORM WATCH for all of the lowlands, you'll be very busy up in the mountains Scag. Have fun! Just be careful if you work Friday night and into parts of Saturday. Blizzard/white out conditions in the passes from the HIGH WIND WARNING issued....60mph gusts with snow, not fun. I'll be busy myself dealing with people like GR described....IDIOTS!

minimax
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Have fun scag and be safe.I have the tractor plowed up and ready to roll if we get snow.:)

minimax

Scag48
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Have fun scag and be safe.I have the tractor plowed up and ready to roll if we get snow.:)

minimax

Sounds like you'll be getting snow come Saturday, 6" thereabouts it sounds. Bellingham is supposed to get 8" I think or more. It's going to be GNARLY.:drinkup:

Haven't heard from the boss yet, I imagine I'll get the call sometime today. My best guess is that we may run 2 crews on Saturday, one during the morning to pack the snow fallen today and early Saturday AM and a PM crew to handle the preceeding snowfall well into Saturday night/Sunday AM. I'm curious to see how things play out.

Scag48
12-13-2008, 02:22 PM
We recieved 13" overnight, sitting at 21" at the base elevation. We're 5-6" shy of a marginal opening and it sounds like tomorrow they'll be assessing the accumulation for possible opening. 4" expected today, they kinda blew today's forecast as it was deemed to dump another 12" all through today but it's hard to say what will happen tonight. As it stands we've accumulated 15" in the last 24 hours but I can't see us getting another 9" today. However, things are supposed to keep spitting into late Sunday, possibly Monday, and one forecast I've seen says even Tuesday then it's supposed to cut loose again late next week. A couple more days of 3-4" shots may get us there by Monday or Tuesday, plus the 4" we're supposed to score today.

I'm getting impatient, it's there for the taking now. I can hear the screaming Cat C9's in the groomers in my head. The sound is undeniable.

Scag48
12-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Super cold here and has been for 3 days now, we're seeing 10-12 degree highs at 1200'. Did a little back country skiing yesterday on limited snowpack but it was alright. 2 degrees at the summit, probably a little below zero up there today. After the hike to the top, I pulled my brain bucket off and the sweat in my hair froze almost instantly. Hair icicles, gnarly.

Good news is that the hill where I'm working is opening Thursday, hopefully I'll be getting a call today that we'll be headed up Wednesday night to prep the hill. More snow expected late tonight, all day Wednesday, and some on Thursday. Another chance of snow starting Saturday or Sunday. Off to the races.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/Winter08002.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/Winter08008.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/Winter08004.jpg

Junior M
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
What truck is that pic taken in? What are you driving now? I know you were driving a f150 for a while, then a car of some sort..

Gravel Rat
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Looks too cold for me. Guys like Junior don't know what cold is :laugh:

Junior M
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Looks too cold for me. Guys like Junior don't know what cold is :laugh:
Coldest I ever been was like 4 degrees, thats freaking cold!

Scag48
12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
What truck is that pic taken in? What are you driving now? I know you were driving a f150 for a while, then a car of some sort..

I sold the F150 a couple months ago, it was 2WD otherwise I would've kept it. I parked my Civic for the winter, although I could probably make it around pretty good in the snow given the fact I put wicked all season tires on it. However, it's tough to beat a 4x4 here in WA, where I'll be staying this winter will almost require 4x4, otherwise my car would do just fine. I bought my car to drive in the Seattle area, you rarely need 4x4 over there so the Honda was a good choice considering gas prices this last summer. But since my dad now has 3 trucks, I'm driving my old 2000 GMC 2500 that I sold to him 3 years ago. I have a canopy on it, I can throw all my crap in it when I go off to work. 3 pairs of skis, all my ski gear, clothes for a week, food, cooking gear, etc.. Plus, it's a brodie spinning machine, I can't tell you how many times I've put that truck sideways. Haha.

KCfireman
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
The temperatures for thursday here are suppose to be -4 degrees w/o the wind chill. Plus its looking like were gonna get another ice storm....again!:cry::hammerhead::dizzy::dancing:

Dirtman2007
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Coldest I ever been was like 4 degrees, thats freaking cold!

Hey junior it's going to be 70 degrees here tomorrow. how about yours?

Man I could never live in those cold temps!

Junior M
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey junior it's going to be 70 degrees here tomorrow. how about yours?

Man I could never live in those cold temps!
Its 73 right now, I wore freakin flip flops today!

I could live in the cold, I dont know about below zero cold but I could live in Ohio again..

Dirtman2007
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Its 73 right now, I wore freakin flip flops today!

I could live in the cold, I dont know about below zero cold but I could live in Ohio again..

screw the cold lol

Hey it went from almost 70 this morning a 8am to 45 and rain at 11am... that what I call cold:laugh:

Junior M
12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
screw the cold lol

Hey it went from almost 70 this morning a 8am to 45 and rain at 11am... that what I call cold:laugh:
It hasnt been cold here in like 3 days, I hate heat, it was comfortable this morning in flip flops and short sleeve shirt.

Heat absolutley sucks! You dont have to really worry about it though, your in an air conditioned cab most of the time..

KCfireman
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
screw the cold lol

Hey it went from almost 70 this morning a 8am to 45 and rain at 11am... that what I call cold:laugh:Thats cold? On sunday i went to church in shorts and a polo, it was 61 degrees at the time. When church let out, around 12:15, it was right around 13 degrees, it ended up getting to about -2 that night. Its only 6 degrees right now.

Dirtman2007
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
It hasnt been cold here in like 3 days, I hate heat, it was comfortable this morning in flip flops and short sleeve shirt.

Heat absolutley sucks! You dont have to really worry about it though, your in an air conditioned cab most of the time..

I'll take a hot summer day over a cold wet winter day anyday. Na I do have to get out of the machines and do hand work sometimes, I just don't talk about it much. LOL

Junior M
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I'll take a hot summer day over a cold wet winter day anyday. Na I do have to get out of the machines and do hand work sometimes, I just don't talk about it much. LOL
Very rarely do you! I would to, more work over the summer and I dont have school...

coopers
12-16-2008, 06:23 PM
The cold isn't bad. You get used to it. The only annoying this when the snow melts...it's a gooey wet mess because the snow just penetrates everything. But other than that...it's very nice. It's much quieter with snow and it keeps a lot of people off the road (those that don't have 4x4)....that's nice.

stuvecorp
12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
We started today around -10 and are at 3 with snow now. There is some wind so it's feeling cold, no short pants for me.:nono:

minimax
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
We got some snow on sunday and are going to get more tonight thay say.I went out plowing snow at 3:00 am on sunday here is what it looked like.

minimax

Junior M
12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I hope you got a radio in the tractor! I bet that gets boring after a while..

Gravel Rat
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't catch me up at 3am I have to get up at 4am for work thats bad enough.

stuvecorp
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't catch me up at 3am I have to get up at 4am for work thats bad enough.

That's why you just stay up all night.:weightlifter:

Gravel Rat
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I can stay awake till 1am but after that I'am too tired. There is no way I could have a night shift job like working 11pm to 7am

minimax
12-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I have a radio,heat and a air ride seat.I don't plow snow that much for it to get boring but mowing can! Pulling cars out of the ditch is fun and pays good:)

minimax

coopers
12-17-2008, 03:01 AM
The only bad thing about working a shift like graveyard...is that it messes up your off days big time. I like sleep and I am horrible when it comes to my days off. But I'm going to day shift at the start of the new year...for the whole year! :( Oh well, I can finally focus more on dirt work.

Minimax, great pic of the tractor in the snow!

Gravel Rat
12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Working grave yard shifts actually screw up your body you can have health problems etc.

Scag48
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
We're getting slammed with snow pretty good right now, the hill got 6" last night according to a buddy of mine who went up last night to work on the cats. I'm going up tonight, we'll have a foot or more of fresh to lay down before opening tomorrow morning. :drinkup:

Graveyard definately isn't ideal if you could be doing the same job during the day, then it really grinds on you. I'm sure it'll mess me up, but these are the hours you have to work if you wanna run cats. We only run 4 days a week, so I have 3 days off, could be worse. 11PM to 9AM, at least it'll be fun.

Hey coopers, my offer is still on the table, you'll be hearing from me once you're over this way.

Junior M
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Dont forget the camera!!

coopers
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds good Scag...I'll be there.

Scag48
12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Dont forget the camera!!

Got it packed :waving: