PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Removal

raintree
11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I have 20 resturants that have decided to switch from brown dyed mulch to red. I need help in knowing what to charge in removing the some of the mulch to allow room for the red. We have had this account for 3 years, and the mulch has never been removed. Thank you for your help.

ARGOS
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
What a waste of money.

T and M.

White Gardens
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Ya, good Hardwood mulch would be much better.

T and M.

Dreams To Designs
11-24-2008, 01:07 PM
raintree, you will spend almost as much time to remove mulch, as you would to put it down, so that will add substantially to your labor costs. You will also have to consider disposal. You really can't reuse the removed mulch as I'm sure it will have soil and other contaminants in it.

Red is a popular, obnoxious color for commercial business' to be noticed. It is however, not the best for the plants as almost always it is made from recycled pallets. The pallets absorb the dye better than other materials. Because the pallets have not been composted like quality organic mulches, they will rob the soil of nitrogen as they break down. You may want to consider adding a nitrogen fertilizer along with your pre-emergent application. One of the easiest nitrogen sources will be blood meal.

Kirk

KCLawnTamers
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
You could dye the mulch they have now and overlay new red...

paradise32258
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
sounds like a pain in the azz.. i would try to determine the amount of time it will take and then figure out the price based on your hours . then maybe charge for the disposal if you can swing it .. good luck to ya

neighborguy
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I agree major PITA. Just thinking about it though, could you use a vacuum similar to a leaf vac and just suck it up? Not sure if anyone rents those or not. If no rental, could you sub it out just to have the existing removed and then do the install of the new yourself.

Just some different ideas.

I do agree that the dyed stuff is garbage. Go natural.

Marek
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
What are you charging per yrd installed ? If its a contract that you have had for a while and are going to keep then removing some of the excess should be part of your install price.