PDA

View Full Version : legal/under table? get real

outrunjason
02-10-2002, 03:41 AM
I was wondering how many operate legal. Like pay taxes and are registered with the countys.

Jason

HOMER
02-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Still waitin' for a response on this one?

Of course everybody is legal on here.................what about you?

rodfather
02-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Legal. Pay insurance, workman's compensation, taxes (you name it). File Scheule C with tax return. Operate as LLC.

plymouthvaliant73
02-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Legal, schedule C, no employees. Registration not required because I use my own name.

longslawn
02-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Legal. Pay taxes, insurances and withhold taxes on employees. It makes it tough bidding againist others but thats the way I want to operate. I want to be consider a professional business.

heygrassman
02-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Filing for a LLC designation on Monday. Have not started cutting yet. Will not have employees in year 1 or 2 (maybe a sub contractor to trim in year 2). Getting quotes for insurance but will have in place before Feb 20, still trying to figure out sales tax in ohio (not convinced it is required given differing opinions on the board).

Good Luck Jason.

Jeff

thartz
02-10-2002, 02:38 PM
If your not legal you had better be soon. I'm sure big brother never looks at web sights like this to see what we're up to.I have to go a black helicopter just flew overhead. JK

visions landscape
02-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Sometimes I really get a kick out of the ?s that get asked on this site.

outrunjason
02-10-2002, 05:14 PM
I thought I would stir up something here. I have talked to a lot of lawn care companies in my neighborhood. Most of them say they don't pay taxes. The dont have a number in the phone book etc. I checked this out and there right. Most all except cash. So I just wanted to know who would be honest with this. My scare is this. I have an assault charge and am on probation. I just messed up. I am afraid I will not be able to get a solicitars license and a business name after the check.

Jason

Randy Scott
02-10-2002, 07:35 PM
So are you saying that if they don't let you get a business license you will just do the business illegally since everyone else does? That's learning from your mistakes!
I would think they would be happy to license you because that would be doing something constructive. I have no idea what the laws are here much less in Texas. All you can do is ask and find out.
Maybe you could work a little deal with the law and tell them you know of some illegal businesses and would like to trade some names for time off of your probation.
I bust my a$$ to make things work for me and I am 110% legit and those that aren't are worthless pieces of ****! I hope they get their just reward. Not much lower of a human being than not paying taxes and then coming up with some BS excuse for why.
Good luck with your business outrunjason, just do it right and legit.

outrunjason
02-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Well I am going to be leagal this year. Just not yet. I was not last year because I planned to do it part time and the next thing I know I was working full time at it. NO all legal this year. But I was worried they would decline me. I wish they looked at it the way you do. That I am not a bad person and doing something good.

Jason

thartz
02-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Anytime your trying to better yourself as a person; your doing something good

Randy Scott
02-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Just plead your case and hope they give you a chance. Heck, you might be worrying for nothing. It may have nothing to do with it at all. Keep us posted.:)

Mykster
02-11-2002, 04:31 AM
Sooner or later you'll get caught and have to pay fines up the #ss if you do it illegally. Few guys in my area are no longer in service for that very same reason. Keep it legit.

mikey
02-11-2002, 11:51 PM
hey
starting out this summer and wanted to know all the legalities
and that stuff..i am gonna be legit this spring..So i wanted to know what i would have to do to make me legit?He told me that all i need to do is get liability ins. and claim my trruck as a part of my business.Then i asked well "what about my tax id# and he said that i dont need a tax id cuz....First of all i wont be laying down any fertilizer til i get my liscence and i wont be removing any huge trees..so he told me if i was that i would need a tax id or DBA #.and ill be the only employer so i ll be a sole proprieter
and when i start doing fertilizer and tree removal that i need to get a tax id or dba#..So when i do my taxes nest yr ill claim all
things that pertained to my business....its better not to screw Uncle Sam cuz when hebites back he put u in the whole for years
hope this helps,if anyone knows anything different or what i was told is right please let me know?

LawnLad
02-12-2002, 10:38 AM
If you aren't legit... wait until a cash employee injures themself on the job and they go to the hospital. First thing they ask when they check you in, "Was this injury work related?" And if they say yes... duck.

Or you or one of your employees is in a vehicle accident with commercial equipment on a trailer behind you. Let's see, you'll get sited for not having commercial plates, your insurance company will decline to cover you since they state that a 'residential' policy does not cover commercial work. Now you've got someone suing you for medical, liability, whatever and you have no coverage and they're going after you because they think you've got deep pockets. Because of course, you're a business and you've got money to spare, right?

Or lastly, you or an employee throws a rock with the mower, line trimmer, etc. and you break a window, hit a passing car, hit the neighbors dog/kid... who's going to pay for that?

Oh wait... one more. Some former employee reports you because they're ticked off at their girlfriend... or you. The Bureau of Employment Services is auditing you and of course they find out you're not legit. The person who reported you isn't going to be in trouble with the IRS since it's annonymous. But you'll be paying for it for years to come.

If you aren't legit... it would be best to not hire anyone. Just do the work yourself. You can still report your income/expenses on a Schedule C. My bet is that if you bothered to track it, you'll come up with more write offs than you will expenses - particularly when you're small and starting off. So you're better off to be legit anyways.

walker-talker
02-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Well put LawnLad!!!

MATT

Jason Pallas
02-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Lawnlad - I coudn't have said it better. Good Job.

proscapeINC
02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
My business is on the table not under it .If your expecting to get some good accounts that bring a decent profit. You'll have to be on the table ready to eat and not under it looking for scraps.

PAPS
02-14-2002, 02:08 AM
Incorporated... Workers Comp... Insurance out the.... Health care...you name it i have it (although, sometimes i wish i didnt)...

Like LawnLad said... wait til an employee pull some stuff on you if your paying him CASH.... then he will take you for all you have... just not worth it to me to risk something I spent so much time and effort building... When a potential employee asks me to pay him CASH... i tell him sorry... i dont run that kind of operation here guy.;)

augs dad
02-14-2002, 05:38 AM
You'd better have liability insurance no matter how small you are...two days after we bought a new truck my wife was driving down the street and a commercial mower threw a rock into the door right right below the drivers window. The LCO had insurance and they paid....but imagine if that stone had hit my wife in the head....it can happen and it does happen...I was in the insurance business a long time and the claims I've seen can wipe out a small business in a hearbeat...and aside from an 'accident' which is what the above thing was, if they can prove that you were also 'negligent' or did not use 'reasonable care' in your operation, your a** will literally be grass.

Gary in PA:

lakegastonla
02-18-2002, 10:02 PM
What kind of dillhole asks such a question and expects an honest answer. You wonder why there are over 700 viewings of that thread and only 20 responses. Are you IRS? :)

walker-talker
02-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Last I looked, 52 responded to the poll! A response to the poll is anonymous, a text response is a different story. Thus the reason for the poll, to get an honest response.

MATT

lamblawnscaping
02-20-2002, 11:18 AM
I don't understand why an assault charge would keep you from buying insurance and paying taxes. Maybe things are different where you are but getting legal here has nothing to do with your criminal record. The IRS dosent not want your money because you beat someone up. The insurance company is not covering you for fights. What do they care?

I am legal. I pay general liability (1,000,000/2,000,000 coverage), workmans comp., commercial auto (1,000,000 coverage), taxes (s-corp status), and I withold taxes from employees. I is just not worth it not to. Besides, the best accounts will require proof of all these things in order for you to get the bid.

thelawnguy
02-20-2002, 11:27 AM
There are lots of guys out there with a full complement of insurance coverage yet still fly underneath the taxman's radar...

randosh4
03-21-2002, 08:51 PM
100 % legit only way to fly !!!!!!11:angel:

John Allin
03-22-2002, 04:36 AM
Oh man...
Readin this one was fun.