PDA

View Full Version : Business plans

Stihl036pro
11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I am having a business plan developed by a professional business planer. Everything is going good and I am pleased with the progress. I want to get a feel for how many LCO's on this site have had a business plan developed for there company. Has the plan helped you as a company? Have you followed the plan? I have been in business for eight years with no set plan on paper as to where I am going with my company. Its about time to get this stuff straight. Thanks

supercuts
11-25-2008, 08:36 AM
im doing well without it. how much is it going to cost? alot of times i wait for my buddy in Old Saybrook to do this stuff and i se if it works. then, if it does, i simply copy him. except his trucks are all red (and one gray) and mine are all white. at least we both like fords.

Mark

Stihl036pro
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Your buddy in Saybrook must a really smart guy. :waving: lol What else have you copied from him? lol. This rain sucks today. At least I am getting caught up with all my other stuff.

supercuts
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
get a job!

Stihl036pro
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I have to install a plow on the 550 later today. I got a smoking deal on a used set up. I'm pumped about it. It just can not snow before my clean-ups are all done.

JDUtah
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
There are professional business planners? IMO that is a no-go. Big red flag!

It is your business, your passion, your life, your concern. The owner of the business needs to be the one to develop the plan. If he has employees they need to be involved. Your plan needs to be developed by the people of the business so it can capture the essence of that business. (ONLY AFTER you have created the plan should you have a professional edit and print it if you are using it to obtain loans etc.)

The most important part of your business plan is that it captures the owners passion and vision, then outlines the current plan to get there.

There is no way someone else (especially an outsourced professional) can capture that. Your plan might look good, but I doubt you yourself will even buy into it after the first two months. Only if you and your employees develop it will they feel the passion about it.

I tend to agree with Supercuts (and add my own reasoning). If you outsource the business plan for your business, you are better of getting a job.

2 books to help you “get this stuff straight”
E Myth Revisited and E Myth Mastery
both by Michael Gerber

Stihl036pro
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Well,,, I am developing this plan for my company. So I am overseeing exactly how he is setting it up. I have it in my head it just needs to be put in order on paper. I know what I need to do in order to make my company become very wealthy. I just need a little help setting up the systems. We already covered the owners passion, vision and business objective. My future plans for the company are in there also. I already listen to the E-myth book 3 times. I'm surprised that there is not more people that have tried this approach. I think a lot of entrepreneur's have there plan in there head but do not know how to implement there plan in there business.

JDUtah
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Well,,, I am developing this plan for my company. So I am overseeing exactly how he is setting it up. I have it in my head it just needs to be put in order on paper. I know what I need to do in order to make my company become very wealthy. I just need a little help setting up the systems. We already covered the owners passion, vision and business objective. My future plans for the company are in there also. I already listen to the E-myth book 3 times. I'm surprised that there is not more people that have tried this approach. I think a lot of entrepreneur's have there plan in there head but do not know how to implement there plan in there business.

Ahh, thanks for the more info.

So is he designing your systems, writing your plan? Both?

supercuts
11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
when he advises you to sell the L39 let me know, ive got $10k with your name on it!

Stihl036pro
11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
So far he has helped me with both. My vision is becoming clearer on what I want to achieve with my company. He suggested that I change the name of my Business to something I represent to my customers, (Example, Reliable maintenance plus property care, LLC.) Something along those lines. Potential customers will see that name and think reliable lawn service right off the bat. I use my last name now as my company name. The question is? Why is my company different than the rest of the competition. I can think of maybe 5 LCO's in my area that use there last names as there business name.
We are working on systems for the company. I am developing a play book on everything that I need in order to run the company the correct way. Does anyone have there business as a turn key operation? I want them to join this thread. I know it is not many. I am in the beginning stages of making this happen. There is a rough draft in place and I am going to fine tune it as I go a long. Where are all the entrepreneurs?

JDUtah
11-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Follow up...

Sounds like you are moving forward, good!

You said you listened to that book. Only the first book I mentioned is available audibly. That means you only know the stuff in “Revisited”. Read E-Myth Mastery. It is RIGHT up your ally. It is 400 pages of entrepreneur magic. Albeit he takes 70 pages to get into the good stuff. You even have to download worksheets (I'm guessing 30-50 of them) from his website that go along with the book. And they are designed to help you exactly with what you are asking about. Attached is a copy of one of the worksheets...

Buy the book; I still believe it is exactly what you are looking for.