PDA

View Full Version : Thatching and stuff

f150 with bobcat
11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
i am sort of new still am i able to thatch in mid march as part of my spring clean up as well as put seed down after

lawns Etc
11-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes but be sure to use treflan as a crabgrass preventer its expensive but its the only one that you can use along wth seed but its only good for about 30-40 days till the new grass gets going then use a real pre m

Smallaxe
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
When soil temps reach 50 degrees your cool season grasses will germinate. Crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees. So I have read.

In my area that may take one week in the open, but very rarely that happens. In the open I may go 2 or 3 weeks in between, 50 degrees and 55. In the shady areas by the lake - easily a month to get the grass to germinate b4 the threat of crabgrass.

It is cheaper to get a soil thermometer than a bunch of treflan. Besides you will eventually learn a lot of things about soils and grass that just aren't commonly considered :)

turfcobob
11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
A little advice here. Dethatching is a very destructive process on a lawn plus it stirs up all kinds of weed seeds that a lying dormat in the topsoil and thatch layer. Spring dethatching tends to really bring out the worst of things and damages the new grass at a time when you really do not want to.
First ask yourself if the lawn really is to the point that it needs mechaincial removal of the thatch layer. Confirm this by checking the lawn. Take a soil sampler and take samples across the lawn. If the thatch is less than .50 of an inch leave it be and work with it. If anything aerate the devil out of it. If the thatch is upwards to .75 or one inch then you have a problem and should remove it. Especially in northern grasses. Just remember you will have a weed battle on your hands when you do.

Smallaxe
11-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Bob is correct. Weeds are the main reason to aerate later towards fall.

duckett6
11-27-2008, 12:45 AM
When is it a good time to aerate a yard?

JDUtah
11-27-2008, 01:27 AM

Best answer is whenever the soil is overly compacted or the thatch is too thick...

RigglePLC
11-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Don't use treflan. It will block the germination of your seed. Use Siduron, also known as Tupersan, or Scotts crabgrass control for new seed.

Except for that, I think above is correct. It is difficult and expensive to remove thatch. If grass is green --just aerate. Most lawns will look fine even if the thatch is a little heavy. It is a fact of life for certain vigorous varieties of bluegrass.

lawns Etc
12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Don't use treflan. It will block the germination of your seed. Use Siduron, also known as Tupersan, or Scotts crabgrass control for new seed.

Except for that, I think above is correct. It is difficult and expensive to remove thatch. If grass is green --just aerate. Most lawns will look fine even if the thatch is a little heavy. It is a fact of life for certain vigorous varieties of bluegrass.

My bad you are right I get the two names confused put treflan down and you will not get anything for a while.Tupersan is exactly what I meant

turfcobob
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Depends on why you want to aerate. Aeration is a process that is used for different reasons. Give me a call and we can chat about it. 402-783-2028

Jason Rose
12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
A little advice here. Dethatching is a very destructive process on a lawn plus it stirs up all kinds of weed seeds that a lying dormat in the topsoil and thatch layer. Spring dethatching tends to really bring out the worst of things and damages the new grass at a time when you really do not want to.
First ask yourself if the lawn really is to the point that it needs mechaincial removal of the thatch layer. Confirm this by checking the lawn. Take a soil sampler and take samples across the lawn. If the thatch is less than .50 of an inch leave it be and work with it. If anything aerate the devil out of it. If the thatch is upwards to .75 or one inch then you have a problem and should remove it. Especially in northern grasses. Just remember you will have a weed battle on your hands when you do.

:clapping: Great advice. Now, what could be used, with little damage, would be a spring tine "dethatcher" that mounts on the front of the mower (JRCO rake). Just once over to rake loose the embeded leaves and matted down grass from over the winter.

I was hoping someone had alread posted this...

Smallaxe
12-12-2008, 09:35 AM
:clapping: Great advice. Now, what could be used, with little damage, would be a spring tine "dethatcher" that mounts on the front of the mower (JRCO rake). Just once over to rake loose the embeded leaves and matted down grass from over the winter. ...

Depending on how thick this "thatch" is, you are better off to keep this organic material in the lawn. Plants thrive on a natural organic soil. Removing that is removing the soils' moisture and air exchange buffer zone.
Ever look at the soil under the leaves on the forest floor?

The bad "thatch" is a layer of inpenetrable tangle of roots and stems growing right at the surface. The good thatch can actually help prevent the bad thatch, if proper cultural practices were in place.