PDA

View Full Version : 450H Deere dozer???

Construct'O
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Thinking about trying to get this size dozer to back fill my trenchs and also to winch the tiling machine in the mud and also use to string out the field drainage tile off the maxi stringer.First thought was another CTL ,but one is enough,i'm thinking?

Trying to get the second crew going.My thoughts are i would really wether have the dozer then another CTL.Just think it will hold it's value better and i think i can get more hours out of the undercarriage on the dozer then a CTL the way it looks to me.Cost isn't going to be much more or maybe even cheaper then replacement tracks for the CTL's.

Machine is coming up for auction 450 H Deere,2500 hrs.Cab a/c/h.Six way blade.2000 year.Looks to be repainted.Will be 9 years old here soon,but if the hours are correct it should still have a lot of use in it.

Might go reasonable?Don't really have time to go to the auction,so will have to wait and see when the time comes.

What's it going to bring:confused: Checking out iron planet,and etc. to get some ideas.Sale is about 250 miles away.:usflag:

Scag48
11-25-2008, 10:21 PM
How much iron you gonna buy this year?!

I like the H series machines, they're nice. I've spent some time on G's and H's, can run them both, but prefer the H just for the hystat system. I have heard very little issues with the Deere's, they're as good as Cat's dozers IMO.

That dozer would be around $40K out here, thereabouts.

Dirtman2007
11-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Thinking about trying to get this size dozer to back fill my trenchs and also to winch the tiling machine in the mud and also use to string out the field drainage tile off the maxi stringer.First thought was another CTL ,but one is enough,i'm thinking?

Trying to get the second crew going.My thoughts are i would really wether have the dozer then another CTL.Just think it will hold it's value better and i think i can get more hours out of the undercarriage on the dozer then a CTL the way it looks to me.Cost isn't going to be much more or maybe even cheaper then replacement tracks for the CTL's.

Machine is coming up for auction 450 H Deere,2500 hrs.Cab a/c/h.Six way blade.2000 year.Looks to be repainted.Will be 9 years old here soon,but if the hours are correct it should still have a lot of use in it.

Might go reasonable?Don't really have time to go to the auction,so will have to wait and see when the time comes.

What's it going to bring:confused: Checking out iron planet,and etc. to get some ideas.Sale is about 250 miles away.:usflag:

I'm going to give you a little "heads up"

When we were looking at dozers I found two 2002 "nice" JD650 dozers that had been repainted and said to have "low Hours", Called the fellow and he said they had 2000 or so hours on them. So we drove a good little way to go look at them. Yeah the machines looked great with the new paint job, but it really covered up a POS! I hopped in the cab and could not find the hour meters in either machine. The fellow came out and asked him where they were and he stated that they had been removed before he bought the machines... ok, then he stated that dozers usually only get a 1000 or so hours a year on them... WTF! you told me that they had 2000 hours on them... now they could have as many as 6000 hours. Negative sir... got back in my truck and drove off:laugh::laugh:

what a joke he was.

all ferris
11-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I've spent some time in a 550H and it was a nice machine. However, it really didn't have enough power. I think it was like 100 hp. It would have been way more productive with 50 more hp.

I think you could do all the things you want to do with a large CTL faster than you could with a 450H.

Junior M
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I've spent some time in a 550H and it was a nice machine. However, it really didn't have enough power. I think it was like 100 hp. It would have been way more productive with 50 more hp.

I think you could do all the things you want to do with a large CTL faster than you could with a 450H.
I disagree, that 450 will push that wet dirt back into the hole a whole lot easier with less passes than a CTL...

Dirtman2007
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I disagree, that 450 will push that wet dirt back into the hole a whole lot easier with less passes than a CTL...

I've ran a 450, 550, 650 and a 750.

the 450 is just big enough to somewhat piss you off. A good size skid steer would probably beat it as they can move faster than the dozer. A 550 a good size to have bigger and stronger than the 450, my takeuchi 150 will not keep up with a 550 JD as I've put them side my side, I can push faster but the dozer pushes more.

A 650 is a good pushing dozer LGP or standard, it'll move some dirt.

A 750 is a moster, those machines will move some dirt quick!

Altogether I think the JD 700H with a 6 way blade is the best dozer, big enough to push bulk dirt but still small enough to do fine grading.

Scag48
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
For pushing dirt and grading, it's hard to beat a dozer. I think we determined in the last dozer/skid thread that some jobs for dozers can be done with skids fairly effectively, but a skid will never be faster than a dozer when it comes to grading through cuts. Maybe the same speed, but definately not faster. Fill grading, I'm still on the fence about it in favor of dozers. However, I think it's fair to start assuming that 450/D3 size dozers are almost on the verge of becoming extinct just for the fact that the large tracked skis are gaining popularity. However, the 550/D4 size and up, skids will never be able to touch.

To top that off, for what he can pay for the dozer, that's what another CTL would cost. And, the dozer will hold it's value a little better as well. Since he already has a CTL, having the dozer might expand other work opportunities.

Aw screw it, Construct'o you know you need an 8T, just get it done. :drinkup:

all ferris
11-25-2008, 10:57 PM

And when have you run 450H? And have you used a TL150? Have you ever had to tow a dozer? Have you ever had to pay for the vehicles big enough to tow a small dozer?

Maybe he already has the trucks and trailers big enough to move a dozer but it's much easier to move a TL150.

I'm just saying that I have run both of them and I thought the TL150 would be a better choice.

all ferris
11-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I've ran a 450, 550, 650 and a 750.

the 450 is just big enough to somewhat piss you off. A good size skid steer would probably beat it as they can move faster than the dozer. A 550 a good size to have bigger and stronger than the 450, my takeuchi 150 will not keep up with a 550 JD as I've put them side my side, I can push faster but the dozer pushes more.

A 650 is a good pushing dozer LGP or standard, it'll move some dirt.

A 750 is a moster, those machines will move some dirt quick!

Altogether I think the JD 700H with a 6 way blade is the best dozer, big enough to push bulk dirt but still small enough to do fine grading.

This is all great info!

CAT powered
11-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I ran a 750J Deere and LOVED it. I also ran a 600H and it was good, but not quite the dozer the 750 was. A 700H is just enough dozer to make you feel confident to take a dozing job, but not quite enough dozer to do the job efficiently.

One thing I liked about the 750J was that if you wanted to spin the machine around real tight the tracks would go in opposite directions and it'd spin in place. I think that all new machines might do that, but I'm not sure since all I own is old iron.

Lawnworks
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
And when have you run 450H? And have you used a TL150? Have you ever had to tow a dozer? Have you ever had to pay for the vehicles big enough to tow a small dozer?

Maybe he already has the trucks and trailers big enough to move a dozer but it's much easier to move a TL150.

I'm just saying that I have run both of them and I thought the TL150 would be a better choice.

He is 14.....

Junior M
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
What does towing a dozer have to do with this?, I am with scag, I still think a dozer will do things like that better, it is made to push, and but if the 450 is a gutless wonder then maybe step up to the 550, the dozer could eventually lead to more work and expanding your business...

all ferris
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
He is 14.....

Sorry....... I didn't mean no harm.

dozerman21
11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
He has a couple of D6's for his big jobs. Anything over a 650 size Deere is way overkill for what he's looking to do.

A CTL can't touch a finish dozer when it comes to heavy cutting, swales, land clearing... whatever takes grunt work or tractive effort. Put a CTL on some frozen ground or dirt piles and see how far you go.

Construct'O- The 450J's that I have ran were nice machines, and they're basically an H with more creature comforts and a modification to the blade from what I understand. I strongly considered a 450J before I bought my Case.

If I were you I would also look for a deal on a 550 or 650. They are basically just a step up in power for each machine (although the 450 has enough power) with larger pads and blades. I've seen some good deals on all 3. The hydraulics have a good feel and the visibility is good. I would also check out the Case 650K. I've been very happy with mine and I liked it more when I ran it next to the Deere. Both are very nice machine and I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Also, if those tracks have 2500 hours on them, they are probably the original set and could be close to replacement, especially if it's been ran in sandy soil.

P.Services
11-25-2008, 11:57 PM
i know my ct332 will push harder then any other ctl out there.

i have run it side by side with my dads 450 and he can EASILY out push me. we were pushing piles of brush together with his machine on one end and mine on the other end both pushing the same direction. i had to give it all the throttle and just barely creep along to keep my side moving and he was hardly even trying. as i recall he was laughing and being a fool twiddling his thumbs. dont get me wrong a ctl can PUSH but not like a steel track dozer with all that traction and gear.

put a 450 and a ctl in hard packed virgin ground and there is NO comparison. getting equipment unstuck...... i would take a 450 anyday of the week.

CAT powered
11-26-2008, 12:06 AM
A D6 CAT is the same sized dozer as a 750J Deere from what I understand.

The H and the J series aren't very different. The visibility in the Deere dozers is superb.

P.Services
11-26-2008, 12:20 AM
whats that new komatsu with the crazy a$$ cab/engine design? you about sit right in front of the blade.

Construct'O
11-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Guys thanks for all the replys !!!!!

Scag just one more:).Helps ready to kill me know.I told them to kick my a$$ if i bought anything else:hammerhead:,so who knows.Don't want to pi$$ them off and have them quit.

Just hired another dozer guy and he is guhoo!!!! to work.:cool2:

Really just got the idea of the 450H when i saw it on a fly in the mail>It will be an H model for sure,with cab and the works if it happens.

Dozerman i did step up and checked the 550 H out it is rated at 80 hp and the 450 H was around 70 hp.Really not wanting any bigger for the turning for the trench backfilling.The machine won't see many hours and other then turning and twisting will have easy life.

Just thought the price for the smaller dozer would be in the range i wanted to spend,but 550 isn't that far off from what the 450's was that i looked at.

I'm dozer guy so i'm pretty sure it will be a dozer this time.

Plus i have a auto laser system(like new) that i bought that will fit right on a Deere since that is what it came off of.All the hoses,laser,reciever, mount,cables,control box the whole ball of wax.So it would be nice to put it to use!:dancing:

Thanks again for the replys.Will consider all comments.:usflag:

Junior M
11-26-2008, 12:26 AM
whats that new komatsu with the crazy a$$ cab/engine design? you about sit right in front of the blade.
I would guess for a better view of the back of the blade, I have no clue but I do know their uglier than sin..

P.Services
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
well yeah i know its so you can see the blade better. i think they look bad a$$. i would give my left nut to own one!!! ]

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6338041&GUID=9D73783E8E82421DA6F990717F72CBE5

Junior M
11-26-2008, 12:34 AM
well yeah i know its so you can see the blade better. i think they look bad a$$. i would give my left nut to own one!!! ]

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6338041&GUID=9D73783E8E82421DA6F990717F72CBE5
What dont you want to own??

P.Services
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
i dont really want that much. excavator, dozer, rolloff, pickup. im happy

Junior M
11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
i dont really want that much. excavator, dozer, rolloff, pickup. im happy
Oh, thats not that much, just a few things, its not like they cost that much... :rolleyes:

Scag48
11-26-2008, 01:36 AM
The new D51's are badass. First reports I heard that guys had an interesting time getting used to sitting in the center of the machine, more or less. I've heard it pushes pretty good though, it's in the D6 class. I guess Deere and Komatsu were getting tired of getting stomped on by Cat and are finally doing something about it. Technically, the D51 (130 horses) and 700J (115 horses) compete directly with the D6K (125 horses). Up until the release of the H series dozers, Deere didn't have anything that directly competed with the D5/6M. Actually, the 750CII was probably paired toward the 6, but the 750 was an awkward machine that was designed to run a semi-u blade but was occasionally upfitted with a V-pat that the M's and N's come standard with. Needless to say, you don't see many finishing crews running 750C's. Deere finally seeing a need for a narrower guage, V-pat equipped dozer unleashed the 700H to battle with the 5M and the 750J competes with the 6N now. Komatsu never really had anything up until the release of the new D51's worth mentioning, but they're on the map now, the new 51's are a weapon I've heard. Company I worked for has a few Komatsu dozers, I think we have (5) D37's and we had at least one, if not (2) 155's that were new a couple years ago. However, I don't think they'll be going back to Komatsu. Still have a fleet of (9) 6R's and 7R's, (10) D5G's, and (4) D8's all the way from the L that I ran up to the 2 new T's.

Construct'O
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Here is a picture of the machine coming up at the auction? Nice looking machine if looks means anything.The hours was actually 2135 hours.Tracks are salt rail.Look to be pretty good as far as what little you can see by the picture.

I need to call and maybe they could email me some better pictures(close ups) ,plus be able to talk to ower,maybe?

Had a couple other pictures ,but they was smaller and couldn't see as much as this one.Busy and might not go to sale ,need to keep hamming things here at work since the weather has been decent here lately.

What do you guys think????:usflag:

Junior M
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh, man, that machine isnt the right color, its white? whats up with that? :laugh: :laugh: The pic isnt there..

Construct'O
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Here it is maybe:confused::):usflag:

bobcat_ron
11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
That's good little dozer, I love Deere's High Intensity lights, you feel like a deer in the night when you get in front of them.

all ferris
11-26-2008, 09:35 PM
IMO anyone that puts a chrome stack on construction equipment must really take good care of their equipment.

It has been re painted???

Junior M
11-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Here it is maybe:confused::):usflag:
Isnt that a cute little bugger, I couldnt resist :laugh:, So you havent looked at the machine up close yet? It looks in pretty good condition the way it sits, not all beat up and just painted over, it looks like a decent machine that someone repainted to keep looking new..

CAT powered
11-26-2008, 09:36 PM
All the H series dozers have chromies.

bobcat_ron
11-26-2008, 09:37 PM
IMO anyone that puts a chrome stack on construction equipment must really take good care of their equipment.

It has been re painted???

Deere does that on all their yellow iron, even the sh*t steers.

all ferris
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
The 550h I used had sweeps(Logging) so it didn't have that mirror to look at.

Scag48
11-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I think the chrome stack on the dozers is an option. If not, a lot of guys take them off. I've seen some with, some wihtout, seems almost half and half.

Dirtman2007
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know what all JD dozers just have a straight exhaust pipe with no flapper on the end or a 45 degree bend?

Seems like it would not be good for water to go down the pipe everytime it rains, And rarely do you see one covered with a bucket or something.

Scag48
11-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know what all JD dozers just have a straight exhaust pipe with no flapper on the end or a 45 degree bend?

Seems like it would not be good for water to go down the pipe everytime it rains, And rarely do you see one covered with a bucket or something.

I would wager that Deere thought of that. Hell, you thought of it, I thought of it, damn engineers that designed the machine better have thought of it.

Construct'O
11-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Basicly the chrome pipe(option like Scag said) is just for looks,if like on the CTL there is a smaller pipe inside the chrome pipe part way up.So if it get water in it it just runs down the inside of the pipe and into the engine compartment:rolleyes:.

As for me, mine has a raincap installed on my pipe:).I don't want any water in mine no matter what !

Back to the 450 H in the pic,it is a LT (long track machine with 16" pads) would like to have wider pads for the mud,but the rails will hold up longer with the narrower pads(turning and twisting around backfilling).

The angle 6-ways just won't work in the wet heavy water soaked,mud from the trench.When you try to angle it doesn't want to roll alone the blade into the trench.Sticks to the blade and just pushes up along the trench as you move up the line.Tilting helps ,but only a little.

Anyone care to guess what it will bring and what would be a good price.I would like to see it 25K or under,but the internet has them quite a bit higher at sale privately.Going to check ironplanet,tomorrow.

What do you guys think?????:usflag:

Scag48
11-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Long track is the only way to go IMO. Better suited for finish grading, a lot better balance, and the machine doesn't bounce around nearly as much which is nice on your back at the end of the day.