PDA

View Full Version : Advertising 2009

nnj18
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
So I want to hear some thoughts from you guys on this. I have $6000 to spend; what would you spend it on?

Green Finger
11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Savings
Savings
Savings
Equipment
Operating cost
Advertising
Savings
Savings..........

Get my point. Cash is king in this economy. Save and make wise decisions. Purchase equipment that fits your properties. Not what everyone else has.

Advertise only what you know you can do. If you can't do it don't advertise for it to get calls.

larryinalabama
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Id buy BEER

NewHorizon's Land
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Lettering your truck.
Brand
Brand
Brand

Then maybe some direct mailers

nnj18
11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
oh I have alot more then $6k in the bank guys....im not an idiot :hammerhead:

I was thinking like 5000 direct mailers, a few nice newspaper/local news adds, letter up the truck and enclosed trailer (when I get it).....I'm looking to add 40 new customers (basically double what I have now) I did the math and I need atleast 75 for me to get a crew out mowing. I hate mowing and would rather be out selling or doing installs.

Also any equipment I buy in the future will be financed.....been paying cash but I'm done with that, got no-where doing it that way. I've spent over $17000 on equipment with cash and that does NOTHING for your credit. I'll take the payments, but anyway back on topic. sorry :waving:

Green Finger
11-26-2008, 01:01 PM

I was thinking like 5000 direct mailers, a few nice newspaper/local news adds, letter up the truck and enclosed trailer (when I get it).....I'm looking to add 40 new customers (basically double what I have now) .

Basically 6 grand for 40 customers. Why Don't you advertise and find some who is trying to sell their client list, offer them 4 grand and pocket the two. Save yourself the hassle.

Just my two cents

nnj18
11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Basically 6 grand for 40 customers. Why Don't you advertise and find some who is trying to sell their client list, offer them 4 grand and pocket the two. Save yourself the hassle.

Just my two cents

I hear yah man...I've been looking to buy some accounts but so far the two guys that were selling out locally were crazy high on wouldnt budge. The one actually never sold even 1/2 his accounts and 5 got my door hangers from earlier in the year and called me up signed for next year. :D I mean 40 accounts is what I'd like to get, if I get more I'll take it.

I'd rather advertise though to get my name out and BRAND myself. Everything has been word-of-mouth until this year and I did 5000 door hangers, 1000 business cards, shirts and those "got leaves" signs.

Even if I did buy 40 for $4000 which is cheap considering most guys here want around $200+ per account, I'd still spend that other $2k on advertising just to see what it brings in.

Green Finger
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
True

Try ValPac for advertising good results.

Dunlaps LawnCare
11-26-2008, 04:30 PM

I was thinking like 5000 direct mailers, a few nice newspaper/local news adds, letter up the truck and enclosed trailer (when I get it).....I'm looking to add 40 new customers (basically double what I have now) I did the math and I need atleast 75 for me to get a crew out mowing. I hate mowing and would rather be out selling or doing installs.

Also any equipment I buy in the future will be financed.....been paying cash but I'm done with that, got no-where doing it that way. I've spent over $17000 on equipment with cash and that does NOTHING for your credit. I'll take the payments, but anyway back on topic. sorry :waving:

do the newspaper and letter the truck and trailler up and do some flyers mabe a phonebook add

IndyChad
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I think you would get better info on marketing from reading a book than asking people on here. You will probably get some good info on here, but then there will be that guy who has never advertised in his life giving you his advice too!

nnj18
11-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I think you would get better info on marketing from reading a book than asking people on here. You will probably get some good info on here, but then there will be that guy who has never advertised in his life giving you his advice too!

um yah thanx for the advice but I'm WAY ahead lol! I'm going to college for business admin, so I'm taking marketing 1 right now lol

mikesturf
11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
With your current customers; ask them which of their neighbors/friends would they be willing to forward a price quote to. Find out their addresses so you can check out their yard, give your customer an exact price quote so they will give it to the prospective customer. Then GO to their house to follow up (not phone call) to close deal. Give current customer a free mowing/fert, etc. for each closed deal-this gives them incentive to sell you also. Maybe tell your current customer that if we (me and you) can sign up some neighbors, your price will go down since I am doing many lawns at one stop.

DLAWNS
11-29-2008, 09:41 AM

I think what you had in mind is just fine. I personally like fliers also. As much other advertising that I might do, I always supplement with fliers. I usually double or triple up on areas that I really am targeting. For instance, they get your mailing, then they get your flier, and then they open the newspaper and there is your ad. Then if you get your truck and trailer lettered and you get work in that area, then there you are again. Hope my method works.

nnj18
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Mike- yah I've been giving my customers a referal prgram. Like this fall if they sent me atleast one nieghbor they received 10% off their own fall cleanup. I've been doing the same for maintenance where for every nieghbor the send me that signs a 1yr contract they receive 2 cuts free.

Dlawns- yah that's what I was thinking of doing. Like 2x sets of mailers, then the newspaper adds, then they'll see my signs on my customers yards, then they'll see my work and my trailer with logo....gotta brainwash 'em lol!! :hammerhead:

DLAWNS
11-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Mike- yah I've been giving my customers a referal prgram. Like this fall if they sent me atleast one nieghbor they received 10% off their own fall cleanup. I've been doing the same for maintenance where for every nieghbor the send me that signs a 1yr contract they receive 2 cuts free.

Dlawns- yah that's what I was thinking of doing. Like 2x sets of mailers, then the newspaper adds, then they'll see my signs on my customers yards, then they'll see my work and my trailer with logo....gotta brainwash 'em lol!! :hammerhead:

So true, lol!

newtostone
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Don't waste to much money on the news paper, just do a basic ad.

Letter everything you have, Big Bold and Clean looking (best money spent)

Door to Door makes money

Direct mail I haven't tried yet I will be doing 30000 or so this spring.

Be shameless and tell everyone you know your working hard and looking to grow. Ask them to tell their friends.

capnsac
11-30-2008, 03:03 PM
I dunno if you have business cards in every single thing you carry with you, but if you don't get to it.

I now have a stash of business cards in:
My wallet
My truck
My gym bag
My gym pass holder
My work badge holder
My cell phone carrying case

You never know when you are going to meet a prospective client, having to write your name and number on a piece of paper looks unprofessional at best. I basically have one of these things on me at all times, so I always have one handy. It has paid off many times! Just my .02

nnj18
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
yah I have business cards....I think I said that before some where above if not my b.

Green Finger
11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
um yah thanx for the advice but I'm WAY ahead lol! I'm going to college for business admin, so I'm taking marketing 1 right now lol

Some of us do have college degrees(in business) and some don't.

The purpose of this site is to get REAL life experience. I have found that books can only teach you the fundamentals. I know a guy with no colege degree but has a very successfull business.

You gain experience from people who are actually doing it. True you are going to experience things on your own. But if one piece of advice can help then it's not in vain.

LushGreenLawn
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I have good luck with flyers inserted into newspapers.

nnj18
11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Some of us do have college degrees(in business) and some don't.

The purpose of this site is to get REAL life experience. I have found that books can only teach you the fundamentals. I know a guy with no colege degree but has a very successfull business.

You gain experience from people who are actually doing it. True you are going to experience things on your own. But if one piece of advice can help then it's not in vain.

I agree with you 110%!!! :waving:

Go read back to who I was responding to and the context!!

Tyler7692
11-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Instead of sending postcards, I think I will be sending some heavy card stock glossy trifold brochures. More bang for the buck.

LushGreenLawn
12-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Instead of sending postcards, I think I will be sending some heavy card stock glossy trifold brochures. More bang for the buck.

Keep in mind doing it that way your paying .43cents to mail each piece vs. .26 cents.

If you have a website, use that as your brochure, capture their attention with the postcard, and point them to your site.

FIRESCOOBY
12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I've had pretty good luck with direct mail flyers. I've had two BOLD phone book ads for the last year or so and have only rcvd 4 calls from both of them. For me, I WILL NOT be renewing the phone ad.

I'm considering mass direct mail as I contemplating purchasing a Turf Revitilizer and will need to get a lot out to get a good number of seeding jobs.

Just my 2 cents.

nnj18
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I've had pretty good luck with direct mail flyers. I've had two BOLD phone book ads for the last year or so and have only rcvd 4 calls from both of them. For me, I WILL NOT be renewing the phone ad.

I'm considering mass direct mail as I contemplating purchasing a Turf Revitilizer and will need to get a lot out to get a good number of seeding jobs.

Just my 2 cents.

yah I haven't heard great things about phone book adds, newspapers on the other hand are great around here...some guys get over 100 calls in a week depending on the add and how well they're known.

I think after really working some #s two sets of 3000 direct mailers = 6000 direct mailers. Three newspaper adds and like 2500 door hangers.....maybe some other smaller stuff as well.

FIRESCOOBY
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
yah I haven't heard great things about phone book adds, newspapers on the other hand are great around here...some guys get over 100 calls in a week or two depending on the add and how well they're known.

Yeah, gonna try that this year also.

IndyChad
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree with you 110%!!! :waving:

Go read back to who I was responding to and the context!!

That person that you were responding to just so happens to have a degree in the exact same area you are studying, and another in Landscape Design so I guess I am two steps ahead.:waving: I was just letting you know that there is so much material out there for marketing and advertising, but you seem to know it all already so good luck to you.

capnsac
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
That person that you were responding to just so happens to have a degree in the exact same area you are studying, and another in Landscape Design so I guess I am two steps ahead.:waving: I was just letting you know that there is so much material out there for marketing and advertising, but you seem to know it all already so good luck to you.

ASSumption, can ya dig it? :drinkup::drinkup:

juspayme
12-03-2008, 04:37 AM
buy an enclosed trailer best thing i ever did. i live in a small town, its not hard to see whos cutting their grass.

i ran ads in yellow book...verizon..there bunk dude. alot of tightwads.

when you look like the king, you get paid like a king....

the king commeth....http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=254281

nnj18
12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
yah I'm getting an enclosed in the spring and it will be lettered.

ryry278
12-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I am getting an enclosed trailer for pretty much that reason or alone. Also just bought a color laser printer got a great deal and going to print off 5,000 or so 3 fold brochures with pictures to put in newspaper boxes or mail if no boxes. have a yellow page ad and would like to get a website started up.

TXNSLighting
12-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I am getting an enclosed trailer for pretty much that reason or alone. Also just bought a color laser printer got a great deal and going to print off 5,000 or so 3 fold brochures with pictures to put in newspaper boxes or mail if no boxes. have a yellow page ad and would like to get a website started up.

FYI: You cannot put anything in a mail box.

ryry278
12-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I meant mail them i know its a felony to put anything in the mailboxes i do not even post on a mailbox

nnj18
12-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I had a lady complain about me putting door hangers on her door, she said stick them in the mail box. I was like lady I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars in fines to appease you.....didnít go over to well. Lol

born2farm
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
For the 2009 season I am planning on sending out 5,000 or so post cards with a 1% expected return. Does anyone have a picture or sample of postcards you have used. I will be advertising season service of Landscape Install/Maintenance, Lawn Maintenance, Debris Cleanup and Snow Plowing. If you have any examples please share.

Another question. Do you guys use your logos on your postcards or just the name?

phasthound
12-07-2008, 05:20 PM
For direct mail markeing check out http://quantumdigital.com/

born2farm
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
ignore my post it was supposed to be a new thread

nnj18
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Using a local guy thanx though.