PDA

View Full Version : Mack Midliner

Summit L & D
11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
What are the pro's and cons of this truck? Maintenance issues? The truck has a new interior and fresh paint.

6 cyl. Renault Engine
5 speed
300,000 miles. (there is no indication of any engine or transmission work being done)
$8,500 asking price

My main concern is the miles. I know that we won't put more than 15,000 miles on it a year, but that is still a lot of miles to start out with.

AintNoFun
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
nothin for nothing that is one fugly truck.. i dont see many around on the roads anymore if that means anything? cant find a nicer international or something?

stuvecorp
11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
My friend works at a Mack dealership and he had said once how the Midliner was a disposable truck. You are probably better off with anything else.

Scag48
11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Can't beat an International. Although that truck is pretty cheap.

bobcat_ron
11-26-2008, 06:22 PM
My Dad has a 1992 long chassis, as much as I hate that under powered, under geared, ugly piece of sh*t on wheels he calls a truck, he's had no major issues with it, to date he has about 200,000 kms on it, and the odometer stopped working a year ago.
One big problem he had was the turbo boost pipe kept popping off, but he flared the end of the aluminum pipe and it's been fine, a few minor electrical glitches, but other than that, it's a real damn good solid death trap on wheels.

treemover
11-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Looked at one years back and everyone said dont mess wwith them, odd ball brake setup for one thing, I went international and never looked backed

bobcat_ron
11-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Looked at one years back and everyone said dont mess wwith them, odd ball brake setup for one thing, I went international and never looked backed

Odd ball brake set up?

My Dad's has spring brake drums in the rear and drums on the front, nothing odd about that, just don't park on a hill steeper than 12 percent with a heavy load. (Dad learned real fast that day.)

Summit L & D
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Right now I'm torn between 2 goals. #1 having nice newer equipment and an impeccable professional image. #2 paying cash. If I lean toward to the option number 1 I'm most likely going to shoot number 2 in the face.

Here is an international that I like. But it's pushing the pay cash goal.

1991 International 3800
105,000 miles
dt 460
16' flatbed dump
$12,000 asking price

What am I gaining/losing between the 3800 and 4700 Internationals?

BIGBEN2004
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
What are you using the truck for? Those two trucks are set up completely different. I like the International with the crew cab and long flat bed.

Scag48
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I guess I have to ask: what will be the end purpose of the truck? The Midliner you posted and the International are setup for 2 different applications. What are you trying to do with the rig?

treemover
11-26-2008, 07:47 PM
it was something with how the brake pods and s cams were lined up in the rear. maybe i had bad choice of words they said they were very expensive to work on(brakes). i would go with the international. I always thought 3000 series were van/bus series

Summit L & D
11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
It's going to pull a gooseneck. So for the 16' dump bed, I'll have to cut out a square in the floor and mount the hitch to the frame. If I find one with a long enough bed it gives me a few options as far as configuring the front half.

Junior M
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
It's going to pull a gooseneck. So for the 16' dump bed, I'll have to cut out a square in the floor and mount the hitch to the frame. If I find one with a long enough bed it gives me a few options as far as configuring the front half.
For pulling a GN, I would go with the Mack out of those two choices, but over all that Mack would be my last choice, its just so darn ugly..

treemover
11-26-2008, 08:14 PM
the 4 door would be nice for the crew and the dump gives you a multi purpose truck

Scag48
11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
It's hard to tell just how long it is from the axle to the rear of the deck on that International, but you want the gooseneck ball right over the axle. With that truck, it appears that won't be possibe. That's a real long rig to be towing a trailer. The truck is almost 30 feet long plus trailer, long rig to be turning around. I'd keep looking around, don't be in a hurry. Lots of deals will present themselves this winter.

Gravel Rat
11-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't get involved with a Mack Midliner the engines a JUNK the truck is cheap. Its actually a Renault truck rebaged as a Mack its why it looks like a British truck.

If your planning on pulling a gooseneck find a shorter wheelbase truck a single axle truck tractor would work the best.

Summit L & D
11-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the info on the Mack. I've decided to stay away from that one. FWIW, length is not a major concern for me, as 90% of the time we have more than enough room for turning. Is there any reason for me to spend the extra money and get a Freightliner? They seem to be 30-50% more than the internationals I've been finding in comparable specs.

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't buy a used business class freightliner so anything from FL50-60-70-80-112. Stick with a cornbiner or if you want a good truck then a Kenworth or Pete. The Freightliner cabs are cheaply constructed they squeek and rattle and in general the truck isn't well constructed.