PDA

View Full Version : road sweeping

BrandonV
11-27-2008, 12:03 PM
hola gentlemen, I got to rent an attachment I've never used yesterday. We of course have been working on this wall and as is typical for us landscapers we come into a filthy environment, do our job without making a mess, and then are told we need to clean up after ourselves... or in this case everyone else. anyways, instead of hand-sweeping a 1/4 mile of asphalt or wasting a ton of water w/ my hydroseeder I called up cat and gave a sweeper attachment a try.. wow did it work great. left nothing but for some dust. anyways, as usually the problem with renting attachments I always want to buy them when I'm done, but if I did buy one I'd want it for my ditch witch instead because we're not usually cleaning on such a grande scale.

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Your machine is a open cab machine ?

You must have been covered in dust :laugh:

BrandonV
11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
yeah no joke, I was going to use the telehandler but we had it tied up installing the rocks still. I did however make it a point to have the wind to my back and went real slow... still had to clean out my nose pretty good.

Junior M
11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I would like to run one..

Your 287 look like its about ready for some new tracks..

bobcat_ron
11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I would like to run one..

Your 287 look like its about ready for some new tracks..

He's at 50%, no big deal.

Junior M
11-27-2008, 02:39 PM
He's at 50%, no big deal.
Really? The look farther gone than that, hmm guess you learn something new everyday..

NEUSWEDE
11-27-2008, 03:16 PM
were you running it forward or reverse?

BrandonV
11-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Forward. Was that correct? I didn't have a manual.

Lawnworks
11-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Really? The look farther gone than that, hmm guess you learn something new everyday..

The lugs are what to look at... if they are in good shape he has got a lot more hours to use.

Junior M
11-27-2008, 06:00 PM
The lugs are what to look at... if they are in good shape he has got a lot more hours to use.
Lugs, as in the actual tread on the tracks?

Lawnworks
11-27-2008, 06:07 PM
.............drive lugs.

Junior M
11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
.............drive lugs.
Ok, I feel stupid, You've lost me..

bobcat_ron
11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I've used an open broom, they are better at keeping the dust away from you, but they are just the worst for insurance claims.

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 06:23 PM
The drive lugs is what the final drive grabs. Instead of a chain and sprocket the tracks have lugs under the tread.

You will wear out the drive lugs quick of the tracks get too loose or your doing lots of hard pushing.

bobcat_ron
11-27-2008, 06:24 PM
My lugs are fine, I run my tracks looser than normally, no ratcheting or wear yet.

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 06:38 PM
If your tracks are loose loose then you will wear the lugs. The conditions you run in will wear the lugs. For Ron cow poo isn't that abrasive :laugh:

The highways maintenance contractor runs a broom on the front of a ITC loader or on the front of the plow truck. I works okay but you have one h*ll of a dust storm.

I would be wearing a mask or have a enclosed cab because breathing in the dust isn't good for you. If you do it enough you may end up with sillicosis.

stuvecorp
11-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I did however make it a point to have the wind to my back and went real slow... still had to clean out my nose pretty good.

I have many hours sweeping with the pickup sweeper, it sucks but is oddly satisfying. The wind is your friend.

NEUSWEDE
11-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Forward. Was that correct? I didn't have a manual.

If you drive backwards and have the sweeper broom rotate back towards the bucket it will get it a lot better and get it a lot cleaner than shown. If there is a lot run over it forwards and then drag backwards and cleans it up a lot better.

Also the broom sweeps in both directions depending on if your going forwards or backwards.

stuvecorp
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
If you drive backwards and have the sweeper broom rotate back towards the bucket it will get it a lot better and get it a lot cleaner than shown. If there is a lot run over it forwards and then drag backwards and cleans it up a lot better.

Also the broom sweeps in both directions depending on if your going forwards or backwards.

I did forget to say that going backwards worked much better for me, too. I was impressed how good the sweeper would work on decent blacktop. I made good money on the sweeper part of snow removal.

BrandonV
11-28-2008, 06:25 AM
this pavement is pretty rough, they ran one of the scarifiers over it I suppose to prep it to be repaved. I didn't know it'd pick up more, all that's left is a real fine dust, like talk almost. I personally not having a cab am glad it didn't pick that up :-)

BrandonV
11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
thanks for the reversing idea, I actually got asked today to sweep the entire project since they were so happy w/ what I did earlier... reversing worked much better.