PDA

View Full Version : Buring grass on purpose?

tangofox1971
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I have done a search to no prevail. I have a guy who wants me to burn his grass. he says it will come back in the spring better. I have a propane burner wand i use for weeds in driveways and sidewalks etc. i have never done this before and dont know how to price this job. how much do you burn and how bad. What should it look like when properly burned? I am in arkansas all grasses are dormint now. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
tang,

where is this yard? city? suburb? farm? how close to other houses?

i hear the burnt lawn look is in these days??????????

i would say if you burn the crowns/roots the grass might not recover come spring?

my opinion is the resulting char from the grass would benefit the soil but...
does he want to reseed come spring? or grow out the burnt existing grass?

that will give you the answer how much to burn?

maybe tree gal will post? she's has probably the most experience here with this subject?

treegal1
11-27-2008, 05:06 PM
if you olny burn the top and not the root its a great practice, no tillage to grow weeds with and all the stolons or corms are safely tucked in the nice cool fire proof soil, and all the K stays just in the area you burn, we use this practice on several different types of fodder and ornamental grass, the 3 top performers are sedan grass(animal feed) empire sod(lawn) and muhly grass( native ornamental ). just light a fire and 3 weeks later its always better and naturally the best looking grass around. Bahia and some zoysia has also been burned on my watch, they do fine, maybe even better if burned. black plastic to fry the tops for a day and the 3 days to dry then its light them up

******also just get a burn permit they are like 20$ and save 1000$$$ in fines!!!!!!******

treegal1
11-27-2008, 05:15 PM
there are more in the other posts...............

4.3mudder
11-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I have heard that wild fires get out in a farmers fields before. The guys will tell them let it go. The ash carries nutrients and after a while it will get back in the soil and help with new growth for the next go around. For crops, anyways

tangofox1971
11-27-2008, 09:30 PM
It is a lawn with no other houses near by. about 1.5 acres. not in city limits. I would be afraid that the heat from the grass would transfer to the root even underground. Tree gal mind if i pm you for more info.

treegal1
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
go ahead and ask away...

Smallaxe
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
We do that on a regular basis here in this part of the country. Always in the spring when there is still frozen ground and snow in the woods. Called a 'Controlled Burn'.

Nice and brite green a few weeks later. Never tried burning a bunch of green live material like in the picture. wow!!! Big headache there. :)

T&J Landscaping
11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
it is to late to burn grass, should of waited on a hot day , and lay tarps over the yard, in 2-3 days he will have burn grass,, or right now now u can just throw salt all over his yard, and wil burn real quick

treegal1
11-28-2008, 12:00 PM
did you ever wonder where the term your the salt of the earth came from???? it means that you could wreck any thing.

bad idea salting the ground!!!!!!

treegal1
11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
We do that on a regular basis here in this part of the country. Always in the spring when there is still frozen ground and snow in the woods. Called a 'Controlled Burn'.

Nice and brite green a few weeks later. Never tried burning a bunch of green live material like in the picture. wow!!! Big headache there. :)the under growth is all dead and makes the live stuff into a sort of char. it burns real well with out any type of help at all.

Smallaxe
11-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, that makes more sense than what I envisioned. [Flamethrowers on patches of hemp and Never igniting and burning on it own.]

Char is a nice bonus, :) we have basically ash unless it is also a brush fire.

11-29-2008, 01:29 PM
. [Flamethrowers on patches of hemp

why would you what too do that!:cry:

RonB
11-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Some around here burn their yard - but not this time of the year. Doing it now could give erosion problems, not to mention a black lawn till spring.

I would wait till around Feb/March or till the grass just started to green again.

Smallaxe
11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
why would you what too do that!:cry:

Because Paraquat caused health problems. We also had to stop using agent orange on the poppies. lol.

11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Because Paraquat caused health problems. .

dame government choppers!:usflag::gunsfirin

muddstopper
12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Burning the grass does release the metal nutrients to the lawn, but the trade off in loss gas nutrients is not worth the trade off. When you burn the grass, stubble, or crop residues, you loose all the stored-up Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Oxgen and Carbon. You cannot build up humis levels if you are releaseing the stored Carbon, in the forms of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and other such forms, to the atomosphere. You would be much better off applying a biostimulant to increase microbial activity that would eatup the residues and reduce thatch buildup. This would be better for the enviroment (not to mention not having to worry about a fire getting out of control), and would release the gas nutrients in the forms the plants can use and help build humis levels at the same time. Large crop producers do often burn off the stubble and crop residues in their fields, but the reason isnt to return nutrients to the soil, its so that they can work their fields without plant residues clogging up their plows and planters.

clallen03
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
My wife is from a small town near Benton called Gurdon. We visit her home town in July and November every year. Every year in November almost all of the residents in the town are burning leaves right in their front lawn. This goes on all of the leaf season. Normally my father-in-law has over 4-5 very large burn patches in the lawn. He doesn't use gas, just a match on dry leaves gets the fire started.
By July when we come back there is no evidence of the lawn being burnt. The entire lawn is full and green as you expect a lawn to be without fert/weed control.

Hopes this helps

PS. The lawn is a mixture of centipede and bermuda.

Southernlandscape343
12-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do it now. Just be careful with it. The EPA may frown on it but then again they frown every time we start our equipment up. :dizzy:

Smallaxe
12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Burning leaves is different than burning grass stubble.. The only time we do the dead grass is typically in roadside ditches and areas that look like that. Fire cleans up 'wild brush' terrain quickly enough to have it mowed as soon as it turns green.

I like to keep sections of the woods burned clean incase a forest fire approaches the living areas. I am able to gather char from that as well. :)

clallen03
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
When the leaves are burnt the ground is burnt also. I dont understand the difference in the two. After the leaves are burnt the grass around that entire area is burnt.

I have never done it myself because in Atlanta that will get you fined really quick. Im just telling what I see done every year and I never see anything that will lead me to think it will cause a problem.

Smallaxe
12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
When the leaves are burnt the ground is burnt also. I dont understand the difference in the two. ...

When we burn grass the fire just races across the surface, barely singe-ing the thatch layer. Burning leaves creates a hotspot that can actually kill grass under the pile.

What I was addressing however, was the loss of nutrients - up in smoke. The leaves would not add nutirents to the soil anyways unless they were of a nature to be mulched into the turf.

With the drought you guys had - I could imagine that no burning permits are allowed. :)
I hate the leaf burning thing anyways. Instant headache when working in a comunitee that is burning leaves. I have had to walk off the job more than once.