PDA

View Full Version : 2002 John Deere 260 Skid Steer

Lobell
11-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi, looking at a 2002 John Deere 260 skidsteer this weekend and wanted to get some opinions and thoughts. It is a well used 2 speed machine with almost 6000 hours, but the owner claims no leaks (which I will verify in person), the two drive motors, aux pump and lots of seals have been replaced along with new pins and bushings in the bucket.

If all pans out, what do you guys feel is a fair price for this machine if it runs and works good? Has anyone used a 260/270 (before the series 2)? What did you like or dislike? Does it have TOO many hours to make it worth anything?

Any and all input is really appreciated as I will be going to look at it this weekend.

SellingIron
11-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Offer $2,000.00.. better yet, I would stay away from it. Was the guy a dairy farmer? 6K is alot of hours on any skidder..

KTM
11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
If I remember correctly the 260 had the same engine as the smaller JD's, which I thought was small for such a big skid. unless you can get a steal of a deal I would keep looking, I don't think it would be worth more than 7,500 in good running shape, even though a dealer might price it on the lot at 10,000.

stuvecorp
11-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't think that machine would have any resale and that is alot of hours, you could do better with another machine.

accurate machinery
11-29-2008, 11:03 AM
With the hours you are looking at and if the machine is in good condition which would be a surprise with those hours I would price it at $5K. There are too many low hour late model machines going cheap these days.

I have had plenty of JD 260's and they are a very tough machine, I have never had one with any welds on the loader arms, up to 9000 hours! 6000 hours is a lot, if the machine was well cared for it could have a lot of life left to it. I would not be surprised if it had lots of nickle and dime issues. In machinery that could be $500 to $1000. issues. Check the parking brake, if it is not working it could run you $2500 or more. If the steering controls are loose and the parking brake is bad, the machine could take off on it's own and kill you or anyone else around it. Watch out for a bad circuit board, when it goes bad, (combined with seat belt interlock), it applies the parking brake while you are driving and burns up the brake. A bad circuit board will can also keep the alternator or battery light on and every time you get a new circuit board you get a new hour meter.... The 3 cylinder turbo is the same engine as the JD 250, that is why I prefer the JD 270 with the big 4 cylinder, it doesn't have to work as hard. On the 260 you will tend to keep the engine revved up to get the torque, also on the 260 it is better if you have the 14 X 17.5 tires for the ground clearance. A lot of 260's have the 12 X 16.5 tires, not enough ground clearance for such a big heavy machine. I think the 14 X 17.5 tires were standard on the 270 only. I hope this helps, I post a lot of details on my website about how I inspect skid steer loaders when I buy them.

fool32696
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi I just picked up a 2000 JD 270 and the parking brake was functioning correctly when I picked the machine up and unloaded it at my house. I started it today and it took longer than usual for brake to release. Brought it to my acreage to push some dirt and I got off it to take a leak and after getting back on it I couldn't get it to release. I played with it for a little and it finally worked. I parked it again and now it won't release. When I flip it off the boom controls work so I think the seat belt and seat interlocks are working fine. Bad switch? Bad solenoid? I'm thinking it wouldn't be a fuse because it wouldn't be an intermittent problem.

accurate machinery
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
At least you have a parking brake that works! The big money comes in when they don't work. Most often the parking brake issue is caused by an electrical issue not letting it release. Double check the seat belt switch, seat switch and ignition switch. Look for a melted connector on the back of the ign. switch. Good luck and let us know what you find.

fool32696
12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for response. I replaced the switch and that fixed it. Unfortunately Nortrax Orlando got me for $72.