PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting track tension in Gehl CTL60 / Tak TL130

stasek
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, we picked up a '06 Gehl CTL60 through Ironplanet. We brought it in couple days ago, and the machine looks to be in great shape, but it has couple small problems: it doesn't come with user manual/operator guide (I'm going to contact local dealer to see if they can get me one) and the tracks definitely need some adjustment. I tried searching, but cannot find a quick guide on how to adjust the track tension. While I search for the operator guite, could someone give me a cliff notes version on how to do that?
Also, if you happen to know where to get the manual(s), please let me know.
TIA

bobcat_ron
11-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Lift the front of the machine off the ground with the bucket, and tension the tracks until you have about 1/2" of sag from the middle rollers, that's a safe tension.
The tensioning grease fitting should be inside the frame, covered by a plate with 2 bolts or no plate.
Takeuchi has no actual center roller, rather a space between the 4 rollers, so just get the best of both of them as close to 1/2" as possible.

Dirt Digger2
11-29-2008, 02:07 PM
there is a little plate dead center of the tracks...i believe its a 7mm wrench to get it off (2 bolts and a plate about 4"x8")...inside you will see a grease fitting, you don't need to lift the machine up, we never do.

pump grease into the fitting until you have about 3 inches of "slack" in the tracks...you don't want too much and you don't want them too tight either...just grab the track and move it up and down, it should only move about 3 inches

if you go too far and need to let the tension out, on the fitting with the grease zerk you will see a bolt, i believe it is 18mm, loosen it and grease will come out, letting the front idler get pushed in and hence taking tension out of the track. If you ever have to take tension out make sure you have a few towels handy because it will fill that little compartment up with grease and make a mess...just dont forget to tighten the fitting before putting the cover back on the track rail

stasek
11-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll try it out in a little bit. Do you happen to know the size of the grease fitting?

Dirt Digger2
11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
what do you mean?....its a standard fitting that any grease gun fits onto...the same size as the loader and bucket pins

AWJ Services
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
The bolts are 13 mm as well as the grease fitting if you need to back it out.
In a pinch a chainsaw wrench does work.
The manual gives a predetermined speak on the track tension but my advice is to leave them looser than tighter.
If you overtigthen they will stretch the cables in the tracks.
They have to be really loose to cause a problem unless you are side slopping a steep bank.

SellingIron
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
What weight grease should he use for the tracks?????What color should it be??

AWJ Services
11-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I use the same as what I grease the rest of the machine with.

iron peddler
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
dirt digger....how do you feel 3 in of slack in a track that has steel cables in it by hand?

Dirtman2007
11-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I pump mine up until the battery operated grease gun stalls. I have to keep mine tight for the crap I work in or I'll be putting them back on every day. I've tried keeping a little slack in them but they just keep falling off. I would say that its the fools that are runnign the machine doing it but even I manage to knock one off every now and then. So tight is better for me. I've put them back on way to many time:hammerhead:

Here's what they look like

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/Letsdig/015.jpg

bobcat_ron
11-29-2008, 11:20 PM
You might have an alignment problem if they come off other wise, being tight is not good for anything, motors and sprockets and imbeds wear faster.

Dirt Digger2
11-30-2008, 01:19 AM
dirt digger....how do you feel 3 in of slack in a track that has steel cables in it by hand?

grab the middle of the track with two hands and lift up and down (perpendicular to the ground)...i don't mean slack as in a stretched out rubber band, more so in "sag" i guess i should have said

SellingIron
11-30-2008, 01:38 AM
JK about the grease......Run the tracks like B-Ron said. 1/2" even and 1": Run them to tight and you will wear out your sprocket and track. Let it sag a little....

AWJ Services
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
If they are to tight it will kill the sprockets.
Takeuchi says you lift the front end with the bucket and allow slack on the bottom of the track.
You measure the droop under the small roller that is just under the the grease fitting.
Needs 1 to 2 inches.
I will get my manual to verify, this is from memory.

Nelson M Martin
12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Bobcat specs for 3/4" between roller and track......but i have noticed the machine runs considerably quieter with 1" or just a bit more.
with 1/2" i would guess the Gehl/Tak would have lots of vibration to the cab:nono:

bobcat_ron
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
The Takeuchi OEM tracks have a different design to the steel imbeds, that's one of the reasons they ride rough.
If they would cast the flat squares imbeds in a diamond pattern, they would be really smooth.

stuvecorp
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
The Takeuchi OEM tracks have a different design to the steel imbeds, that's one of the reasons they ride rough.
If they would cast the flat squares imbeds in a diamond pattern, they would be really smooth.

Unfortunately it is a rough ride.

Like the new Kitties, BCRon.

AWJ Services
12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
The ride is not that bad.No worse than any other rigid track machine.
I prefer the metal too metal.It keeps the rocks from tearing up the track where it meets the roller.

stuvecorp
12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
The ride is not that bad.No worse than any other rigid track machine.
I prefer the metal too metal.It keeps the rocks from tearing up the track where it meets the roller.

I took the Mustang out to move some trees and we now have frozen ground with some ruts. I didn't do it for too long. I am glad that most stuff we do with it is on smooth ground.