PDA

View Full Version : Setting out dogwood trees

kirk1701
11-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey guys,
Partly continued from here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2595074&postcount=13

I found a local tree farm where I can purchase kousa dogwood trees and decided to replace two that died on me over the summer. Problem is I'm getting the shaft from the tree farm ;)

Four weeks ago I was told they would have the tree's ready for me to pick up in a couple a days. Then I got to asking about "Warranty" and I was told if they set them out they would guarantee them to bloom in the spring so I said OK for $40 more per tree.

I've called each week, trying to get info on when they would be delivering and setting the trees out and I've got one excuse after another from it being to wet after a 1/4 inch of rain to we don't start digging up the trees till they loose their leaf's :confused:

So, thought I'd get some other opinions, am I being shafted and given a run around or am I being told the honest truth. :dizzy:

White Gardens
11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey guys,

I found a local tree farm where I can purchase kousa dogwood trees and decided to replace two that died on me over the summer. Problem is I'm getting the shaft from the tree farm ;)

Four weeks ago I was told they would have the tree's ready for me to pick up in a couple a days. Then I got to asking about "Warranty" and I was told if they set them out they would guarantee them to bloom in the spring so I said OK for $40 more per tree.

I've called each week, trying to get info on when they would be delivering and setting the trees out and I've got one excuse after another from it being to wet after a 1/4 inch of rain to we don't start digging up the trees till they loose their leaf's :confused:

So, thought I'd get some other opinions, am I being shafted and given a run around or am I being told the honest truth. :dizzy:

Your totally getting the shaft. All their excuses are ludicrous. I would be calling them everyday until the delivered and set the trees.

You can spade out any tree up until the ground freezes, that goes for planting too.

kirk1701
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Your totally getting the shaft. All their excuses are ludicrous. I would be calling them everyday until the delivered and set the trees.

You can spade out any tree up until the ground freezes, that goes for planting too.

We'll, they told me this week last time I called so we shall see.

We don't get very much freezing temps here, we get the same weather as Nashville since we are on the Kentucky/Tennessee boarder so guess they have all winter.

Thing was I really wanted to decorate them for Christmas

Marcos
12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'll be willing to bet you a hot fudge sundae that this tree farm does about 98% or so of its business to wholesale customers, like landscape contractors or other nurserymen.
When you called the 1st time, I'll bet that the person on the other end of the line just assumed that you were "just another wholesale buyer", and they qouted you wholesale prices for kousa dogwoods.
Later, when they discovered that you are a homeowner looking for a RETAIL-type warranty (at the previously qouted wholesale pricing), they certainly had to do something to cover their profit margin.

Legitimate wholesale nursery operations CANNOT afford to cater to the general public the same way that they do the rest of the Green Industry.
Some wholesale nurseries have retail "divisions" that they can conveniently refer that (very profitable) segment of business to, but many others do not, or choose not to.

I recommend that you call them right now, and ask them if this is EXACTLY what happened, or not.
If you are "direct" with a manager about this situation, I'll bet you that they'll be willing to come to some type of compromise on the warranty time line, if this manager finds that they've made sort of mistake in assuming your trade status. Be firm but cordial with them. Try to possess a spirit of "cooperation", and I'll bet you you'll get much of what you're looking for.

Please bear in mind...the main reason WHY "wholesale should be wholesale" and "retail should be retail" is the very premise of keeping legitimate landscapers / nurserymen / arborists / IN BUSINESS...and able to feed their families!!!

kirk1701
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll be willing to bet you a hot fudge sundae that this tree farm does about 98% or so of its business to wholesale customers, like landscape contractors or other nurserymen.
When you called the 1st time, I'll bet that the person on the other end of the line just assumed that you were "just another wholesale buyer", and they qouted you wholesale prices for kousa dogwoods.
Later, when they discovered that you are a homeowner looking for a RETAIL-type warranty (at the previously qouted wholesale pricing), they certainly had to do something to cover their profit margin.

Legitimate wholesale nursery operations CANNOT afford to cater to the general public the same way that they do the rest of the Green Industry.
Some wholesale nurseries have retail "divisions" that they can conveniently refer that (very profitable) segment of business to, but many others do not, or choose not to.

I recommend that you call them right now, and ask them if this is EXACTLY what happened, or not.
If you are "direct" with a manager about this situation, I'll bet you that they'll be willing to come to some type of compromise on the warranty time line, if this manager finds that they've made sort of mistake in assuming your trade status. Be firm but cordial with them. Try to possess a spirit of "cooperation", and I'll bet you you'll get much of what you're looking for.

Please bear in mind...the main reason WHY "wholesale should be wholesale" and "retail should be retail" is the very premise of keeping legitimate landscapers / nurserymen / arborists / IN BUSINESS...and able to feed their families!!!

I can see your point Marcos, however thats not the case because the very first time I stopped I was inquiring to just that, whether they sold to the public or not before I even asked anything else.

I was told they did sell to the public and was not till after that I went any further.

Marcos
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I can see your point Marcos, however thats not the case because the very first time I stopped I was inquiring to just that, whether they sold to the public or not before I even asked anything else.

I was told they did sell to the public and was not till after that I went any further.

Well then, as long as you're 100% certain of that, next time I'm though Bowling Green KY, I'll have to look you up & fix you up with that hot fudge sundae! :waving:

I'd go to the local affiliate of the B.B.B. if they keep jacking you around like you're saying they are.
Or...you can at least call & threaten that you'll report them.

kirk1701
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Well then, as long as you're 100% certain of that, next time I'm though Bowling Green KY, I'll have to look you up & fix you up with that hot fudge sundae! :waving:

I'd go to the local affiliate of the B.B.B. if they keep jacking you around like you're saying they are.
Or...you can at least call & threaten that you'll report them.

See thats the thing, I don't know if I'm being jacked or not because there was never any paperwork done. After I asked if they sold to the public and got a yes for an answer the lady gave me a roll of ribon and told me to tag the trees I wanted and I was quoted a price :confused:

Since then its been one excuse after another but since there is no paper trail I've got thousands of "what if's" running through my head and now with all the excuses just confirms it but could I just been forgot about or due to them delivering them I could have been put on a list and have to wait my turn but if thats the case I would like to have been told.

Smallaxe
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
If they are going to guarantee spring blossoms they may want to make sure that the dogwoods are completely dormant b4 they plant.

I don't really follow the line about dropping all the leaves to be ready, as long as it gets enough water, but they want to be sure, I suppose.

PatriotLandscape
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
40 dollars more and they will plant them and add a warranty? that sounds like someone screwed up on the pricing.

kirk1701
12-01-2008, 11:36 PM
If they are going to guarantee spring blossoms they may want to make sure that the dogwoods are completely dormant b4 they plant.

I don't really follow the line about dropping all the leaves to be ready, as long as it gets enough water, but they want to be sure, I suppose.
See, thats why I am thinking the lady might be telling the truth, maybe she didn't know when she told me the first time and now rather then coming out and telling me the truth she's trying to cover it up till she can deliver them.

40 dollars more and they will plant them and add a warranty? that sounds like someone screwed up on the pricing.

and this has also been going through my head, the what if she is waiting till she can deliver them and keep the cash under the table, not turn it into the business or something of that nature?

kirk1701
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM

OK smallaxe,
Spring is here and I got questions :laugh:
As you recall from above I got three dogwoods, purchased two Kousa's to replace two of three Cherokee princess that died. I still have one Cherokee princess that made it and bloomed already but the two kousa's look like they are going to go straight to leaf's and not bloom?

I already got a call into where I purchased the kousa's to purcase a third one to go where the Cherokee princess is now because I want all three to bloom at the same time. Only now I've been told the kousa's might not bloom this year because they were just set out last fall. Now I'm confused and not sure if I need to purchase and replace the Cherokee princess at all now. :confused:

Should I wait? Go ahead and replace the Cherokee princess?

BostonBull
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Why so concerned about the brachts? I have seen dogwoods put on 6"-12" of growth every year for the first 3 years with no brachts. Dogwoods seem funny to me in that they sometimes wont bloom for a season, or three! haha

I wouldnt worry about brachts on the tree, be more concerned with proper planting, care, and health of the tree. The brachts will come soon enough.

Marcos
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Why so concerned about the brachts? I have seen dogwoods put on 6"-12" of growth every year for the first 3 years with no brachts. Dogwoods seem funny to me in that they sometimes wont bloom for a season, or three! haha

I wouldnt worry about bracts on the tree, be more concerned with proper planting, care, and health of the tree. The brachts will come soon enough.

I 2nd that motion. :waving:

The flowers will come soon enough.
Be more concerned about the general health & well being of the plant.
When the brachts DO finally show up, it'll be a sign that the plant's beginning to feel at ease in it's new location.

We have a Cherokee Chief dogwood that didn't show nary a signal or sign of blooming for 4 years, then all of a sudden one spring......WHAM..........red blooms everywhere!

kirk1701
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I 2nd that motion. :waving:

The flowers will come soon enough.
Be more concerned about the general health & well being of the plant.
When the brachts DO finally show up, it'll be a sign that the plant's beginning to feel at ease in it's new location.

We have a Cherokee Chief dogwood that didn't show nary a signal or sign of blooming for 4 years, then all of a sudden one spring......WHAM..........red blooms everywhere!

We'll see I have a total of three trees across the front. Two Kousa's and one Cherokee princess which is blooming now. I'm told the Kousa's will bloom late June into July so it just look off if one of the three blooms at one time of the year and the other two at a different time.

Not sure if that makes sense? :confused:

BostonBull
04-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds anal to me. Look at it this way, you will have color out there for spring and summer!

kirk1701
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Sounds anal to me. Look at it this way, you will have color out there for spring and summer!

Never thought about looking at it that way but you make sense :)

I have a wild dogwood on the side also blooming now so with the Cherokee princess thats two blooming now and two blooming later in the summer :rolleyes:

Yea, might leave as is :drinkup:

Smallaxe
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
OK smallaxe,
Spring is here and I got questions :laugh:
As you recall from above I got three dogwoods, purchased two Kousa's to replace two of three Cherokee princess that died. I still have one Cherokee princess that made it and bloomed already but the two kousa's look like they are going to go straight to leaf's and not bloom?

I already got a call into where I purchased the kousa's to purcase a third one to go where the Cherokee princess is now because I want all three to bloom at the same time. Only now I've been told the kousa's might not bloom this year because they were just set out last fall. Now I'm confused and not sure if I need to purchase and replace the Cherokee princess at all now. :confused:

Should I wait? Go ahead and replace the Cherokee princess?

I have transplanted Blueberries in the fall b4 they drop their leaves and the blossoms come on with a full load of berries, to follow - without missing a beat.

If they were talking warranty that you would have blossoms, then that is their stupidity.
One reason you would not have had blossoms is that the bush wasn't old enough to put out blossoms - or - like the other guys said.

Dreams To Designs
04-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Rhe wild dogwood in the woods is Cornus florida, as is the Cherokee princess, the native flowering dogwoods will "flower" before the leaves emerge. The Kousa dogwood, is Cornus kousa, sometimes called japanese, chinese or asian dogwood. The Kousa will bloom after the leaves emerge in late spring, sometimes as late as early summer. The Rutgers hybrid dogwoods, the Stellar series are hybrids of Cornus florida and Cornus kousa, and will "flower" in the time between the native and asian dogwoods, when the leaves are first emerging. If you plant all three, you can have dogwood "flowers from early to late spring continuously. Another feature of the Rutgers hybids, is that they do not fruit like the other dogwoods, which can be an advantage when planted near a patio or sidewalk.

It is also true, dogwoods may not bloom for a season or two, until well established and than when happy, will put on a magical display.

Kirk

kirk1701
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the answers guys.

Yea, think I'm going to leave them as is :clapping:

1 wild dogwood on the side blooming now with the Cherokee princess in the front also blooming now then have the other two Kousa's which will bloom later with any luck :)

LAbb
04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Rhe wild dogwood in the woods is Cornus florida, as is the Cherokee princess, the native flowering dogwoods will "flower" before the leaves emerge. The Kousa dogwood, is Cornus kousa, sometimes called japanese, chinese or asian dogwood. The Kousa will bloom after the leaves emerge in late spring, sometimes as late as early summer. The Rutgers hybrid dogwoods, the Stellar series are hybrids of Cornus florida and Cornus kousa, and will "flower" in the time between the native and asian dogwoods, when the leaves are first emerging. If you plant all three, you can have dogwood "flowers from early to late spring continuously. Another feature of the Rutgers hybids, is that they do not fruit like the other dogwoods, which can be an advantage when planted near a patio or sidewalk.

It is also true, dogwoods may not bloom for a season or two, until well established and than when happy, will put on a magical display.

Kirk

This is a true story. My parents had a dogwood in their front yard for 20 years which did not bloom. They finally gave up and chalked it up to the tree being a rare "male only" tree, so my dad decided he was going to cut it down in the winter so he didn't have to mow around it. For some reason or another he didn't get around to cutting it down in the winter and decided to do it in early spring. When he went out to cut it down he noticed a few blooms on it so he decided to give it one last chance. Later that month the thing had beautiful snow white blooms all over it. It's bloomed now for the last 4 years :)

Here's a picture of it in the back part of the yard.

kirk1701
04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I believe that, actually my mom does that with her plants and vegitable garden and if it don't produce it gets pulled up :laugh:

I think the plants know and rather then die they produce :)