PDA

View Full Version : How do you find good workers?

Rufscape
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Hiring new employees sucks. Most guys are just lazy and just want to pass time. I find myself doing most of the work...
Steve

garydale
11-30-2008, 12:21 PM
IMO you need to grow your own. By that I mean hire younger folks, train them your way and turn them loose to be creative.

You will never find someone as good as you want because if they are that good they would be in business for themselves.

People need to be given room to grow if they are going to be happy and stick with you. Nobody will ever do a job exactly like you would so accept that principle and give them guidiance.

Rufscape
11-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I think your right. I did put alot of time and effort in to this kid I had for 5 years but he just never matured enough to where he should be by now. I can't seem t get rid of him though. I need to find a leader even if it means I have to pay well. I don't know how much longer I will be able to take the abuse of doing the work my self constantly.....Thanks Steve

lawn crafters
11-30-2008, 06:40 PM
yeah i hear what your saying i have a helper who workis for me, 2man operation, and i will be promoting him to leader and i will train another employee to take his place when he takes mine. and i will just help on projects like fall and spring cleanups, i will trim bushes and mulch, they will cut. well see how that goes

Rufscape
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Let me tell you it is hard doing that. I tried this year with poor results. You really need to get someone with his priorities straight and excellent responsibility. The customers get used to having you present at the jobs even cutting grass.....Good Luck.............Steve

nnj18
12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
My buddy sends me his guys whenever he gets slow or I really need them. He has about 20 employees steady and he's constantly getting new guys; if they're good and he doesnt need them he gives me their phone #s. He sent me my best guy who works hard, has common sense, could run a crew the 1st day, has 7yr.s expierence, can drive a stick shift and is GREAT!!!

mikecaldwell1204
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I think your right. I did put alot of time and effort in to this kid I had for 5 years but he just never matured enough to where he should be by now. I can't seem t get rid of him though. I need to find a leader even if it means I have to pay well. I don't know how much longer I will be able to take the abuse of doing the work my self constantly.....Thanks Steve

In order to find and retain a leader you have to pay him a decent salary or what is his motivation for running the crew and keeping up with your expectations?

Toy2
12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Dude, have you been sleeping?????

2009 brings Bama, and with Bama....HOPE..... it means he will pay for all the things we need.....job?

Who needs a freckin' job!!!

Bama forever and ever!!!!!:clapping:

PROCUT1
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Look for hispanic guys.

Gave up on whitey a long time ago.

nnj18
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Look for hispanic guys.

Gave up on whitey a long time ago.

oh yah....I tried some white guys, 5 to be exact all lasted one day or less.

Green Pastures
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
You rarely hire good workers.

Good workers are trained by a man who knows how to hire people with potential to become good workers.

Have an employee manual with what you expect from them, make them read and sign it prior to hiring.

Have a training program, stick to it.

OUTLANDER
12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
screw the paper work!! a good personable relationship is better i've been there

richallseasons
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I am working on a machine to clone myself in a full size me...........

ein999
12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
YOU GO TO MEXICO AND START PASSING OUT CARDS AND GET THEM A PLACE TO STAY WHILE THERE HERE.

You think im kidding!

azjojo99
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
It's easy to find good workers, just fire the bad ones! Don't put up with their games

topsites
12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Have an employee manual with what you expect from them, make them read and sign it prior to hiring.

Have a training program, stick to it.

See that's it right there, we reap what we sow but setting all that up would likely take more than a few years,
when we stop and think that corporations with all their items in order have been around 50-100...

But that is what it takes, a proper and methodical approach,
the more like a real business we look,
the closer to hiring good employees we get.
No paying under the table :p

Anyhow, peace out.

NC Greenscaper
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
This question is one of the biggest hurdles in our business that most of us must overcome. It cannot be answered with a quick answer. This is something that I have been giving recent attention and thought to. Good employees are not found on isle 13 at Walmart. Chances are, if you are like me finding good employees is harder than finding good customers. It not only involves where to look and but when to look. It deals with how do I as the owner/manager/interviewer look and how does our company look to employees. Does it look like a company that would attract a good employee or another loser. What does your image portray to employees? Is your company a bottom feeder?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Firts off if they are a good worker they already have a job!!payuppayuppayuppayuppayup

NC Greenscaper
12-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Firts off if they are a good worker they already have a job!!payuppayuppayuppayuppayup

Good point. This thought occurred to me also. Just because they have a job doesn't mean they wouldn't rather work for me. What do you think. So one place we could look is where they are currently working.

phikshin
12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Good point. This thought occurred to me also. Just because they have a job doesn't mean they wouldn't rather work for me. What do you think. So one place we could look is where they are currently working.

Exactly. I worked for the same guy for the past 4 years. Im guaranteed a job next spring but it doesn't mean I wouldn't rather work for someone else. If someone offered me more pay or better incentives etc I would work there. I don't mind the guy I work for; I just don't like the guy I work with.

elite lawns
12-12-2008, 11:25 PM
YOU GO TO MEXICO AND START PASSING OUT CARDS AND GET THEM A PLACE TO STAY WHILE THERE HERE.

You think im kidding!

I did it last month when i was there it would be crazy if they call lol

wrtenterprises
12-13-2008, 07:12 AM
If you have a college or university near by, I suggest you try hiring students. The men and women are smart, young and strong, understand and take direction well, and are very reliable. You are not going to find a 10 year employee, but you will find good help. Scheduling can be a real headache during the school year, but it's something you get used too. I also believe this method is best served by a smaller 1-5 person operation. And best of all, most institutions of higher learning have a degree program that fits somewhere in our job description. What a great pool to choose from.

I also have had very good luck hiring people who had a paper route when they were young. These folks learn at very young age in most cases that discipline, reliability and hard work pay off. I currently have (2) multiple season students that fit this mold completely.....

2 clowns mowing
12-13-2008, 07:22 AM
we hire college students as they grow with company they find a way to do college and work together.

TREEGUARD
12-13-2008, 08:40 AM
i agree with procut white guys around here all suck there allways complaining they want to stop at 7-11 for something to drink or it's to hot can we go home early today.
My worst hispanic guy can run circles around my best white guy

Az Gardener
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
White, Mexican, Asian it doesn't matter, people are people and their race doesn't count for squat. Their are slackers in all communities. Do us all a favor and be absolutely sure you are hiring a citizen first.

I have posted how to get good workers so many times I cant count. Use the advance search feature with me in the appropriate box and you will see what I do, it works pretty well. Any problems I have I have to take responsibility for by being too lax.

It doesn't take years to build a good workforce but it does take work and commitment. Check out my e myth thread in the business section, some good info there too. Hire for character and you can teach the rest, were not sending people to the moon here.

garydale
12-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Hire for character and you can teach the rest, were not sending people to the moon here.

Right on!!
Character is the key.

TPendagast
12-13-2008, 11:28 PM
The biggest problem is everyone in this industry is in a spot one higher than they should be.

Your foreman/leader should be your worker, the account manager should be a foreman and at least 50% of the people who owna business should be working for someone and not running their own shows.

Everyone thinks too much of themselves, and they really arentas good as they think.

The second problem is guys are in the higher positions because they cant afford to live at the pay for the one they belong in.

Lawn foremen should get paid 14-18 DOE
Helpers should get paid 11-13 DOE

IF you pay what they pay at walmart and mcdonalds, you will share their employee pool.

the Third problem is if you paid your lawn foreman 18/hr you would loose all your jobs to the guy paying his lawn foreman 12. All the while complaining he cant get a good dependable guy, and still thinking he is a better businessman than you, because he "knows how to cut costs and get customers."

If someone paid me 18/hr to cut grass, gave me the right truck and equipment (not a ranger and a time cutter) and gave me enough work to keep me and a guy or two 40-50 hours per week and let me do it in 4 or 4.5 days, kept me busy from march 15 until december 15 and let me collect unemployment without complaining and maybe called me when there was snow (and paid 25 per hour for me getting up and comming in a 2am) Id go work for him.

Instead, you find someone who wants to pay you $20/hr in salary work you 60-70 hours a week (on a fixed salary based on 40 per week) and expects you to do all the sales and business building to boot.
Is it any wonder we all work for ourselves??

PROCUT1
12-14-2008, 02:02 AM
The biggest problem is everyone in this industry is in a spot one higher than they should be.

Your foreman/leader should be your worker, the account manager should be a foreman and at least 50% of the people who owna business should be working for someone and not running their own shows.

Everyone thinks too much of themselves, and they really arentas good as they think.

The second problem is guys are in the higher positions because they cant afford to live at the pay for the one they belong in.

IF you pay what they pay at walmart and mcdonalds, you will share their employee pool.

the Third problem is if you paid your lawn foreman 18/hr you would loose all your jobs to the guy paying his lawn foreman 12. All the while complaining he cant get a good dependable guy, and still thinking he is a better businessman than you, because he "knows how to cut costs and get customers."

If someone paid me 18/hr to cut grass, gave me the right truck and equipment (not a ranger and a time cutter) and gave me enough work to keep me and a guy or two 40-50 hours per week and let me do it in 4 or 4.5 days, kept me busy from march 15 until december 15 and let me collect unemployment without complaining and maybe called me when there was snow (and paid 25 per hour for me getting up and comming in a 2am) Id go work for him.

Instead, you find someone who wants to pay you $20/hr in salary work you 60-70 hours a week (on a fixed salary based on 40 per week) and expects you to do all the sales and business building to boot.
Is it any wonder we all work for ourselves??

Great post.

I cant think of a better way to explain it.

True to the letter.

Az Gardener
12-14-2008, 11:14 AM

I do that

If someone paid me 18/hr to cut grass, gave me the right truck and equipment (not a ranger and a time cutter) and gave me enough work to keep me and a guy or two 40-50 hours per week and let me do it in 4 or 4.5 days,

I can do that but we only work 40-42 in 4 days

kept me busy from march 15 until december 15 and let me collect unemployment without complaining and maybe called me when there was snow (and paid 25 per hour for me getting up and comming in a 2am) Id go work for him.

We work all year except our hours go down to 30-40 per week Dec thru Feb. I can find stuff for the guys to do but usually they just want to go home early.

Then there is the health insurance, the free lunches and drinks every day, paid vacations. The education both horticultural, field, business and life is all paid for, both the classes and the time training. That is just the beginning.

sdk1959
12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Hire college kids for the late spring & summer and a few part-timers that work full-time elsewhere but are available for work in the late afternoon and weekends.

In both types above if you screen the job applicants to make sure they are physically up to the work you'll get good people.

Your not going to get a responsible adult employee for a seasonal daytime job at $10-$12 an hour. But you can get eager summer college kids full-time and responsible motivated adults part-time.

College kids are looking for a decent paying full-time seasonal summer job to pay thier college expenses and tuition and adults are looking for a decent paying part-time job to earn extra money.

What are thier other job choices, working retail or a fast food place at $8-$9 an hour? You can pay better than both, use that to your advantage and hire the employee types above and you'll do fine. Thumbs Up

sdk1959
12-14-2008, 01:08 PM
For those lawn companies and others who hire illegal Mexican immigrants.

Did you know the reason they work so hard is that the Mexican equivalent pay your paying them is $50-$60 an hour is what it will buy in Mexico. 1 American dollar = 13 pesos.

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Put an ad in the paper for workers starting at $50.00 an hour and see how many Americans line up and circle your building to apply. See how hard they would work.

Or tell your Mexican help you'll start paying them the equivalent of $10-$12 hour in Mexico which is about $2.00 an hour here and see how how many walk off the job.

Mexicans cross the desert for $10-$12.00 an hour? Don't think so. $50-$60 an hour yeah!

I had tree work done in 2006 and got talking to one of the Mexican workers. He was only about 25 and owned 2 houses in Mexico from the money he sends back there that he earns here. A $250,000 house here he told me is only $50,000 in Mexico. Small wonder why they are so eager to work here.

Start paying $50-$60 an hour for lawn work and you'll see how hard Americans work or start paying your Mexican help $2.00 an hour and see how hard they don't work, if at all. :usflag:

TPendagast
12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Then there is the health insurance, the free lunches and drinks every day, paid vacations. The education both horticultural, field, business and life is all paid for, both the classes and the time training. That is just the beginning.

Az are you accepting applications?

Az Gardener
12-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I will be in the spring.

PORTER 05
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
yes this is all we talk about, mt and my brother we are both very lucky to have eachother casue we will never ever not show up, so there will always be 2 of us, i also have another brother that works alot of the time he was full time with us during fall clean-ups worked 4 weeks straight, dint say a negative thing once, family is the way to go.....but we also have other guys white guys yup you guessed it always complianing freaking out cry walking off the site not showing up, wanting more money.....but i do have to say i only pay them $10-$12, i bet if they got $20 HR like what all 3 of us are getting + way more i bet they wouldnt brak for lunch, but yes if i paid them that i would have to either increase my prices or take a cut then i would go under......

so thank god for my bros and ill just have to keep dealing with white junkies till i find some legal mexicans that i will admopt!!!!

PROCUT1
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Learn Spanish.

Employee problems will be solved.

TPendagast
12-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Sprech ze espanol

yourmove
12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Not really . . . You can't buy a can of Coke for a peso in Mexico!

However, you will spend a dollar.

80sturgisrider
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
The biggest problem that I have in hiring someone is finding a reliable person that isn't a drug abuser. Dont get me wrong--I don't care what a person does on his time, but when he is on MY time, you better believe I want them CLEAN and alert. Although I have excellent liability insurance, I am not in a hurry to file any claims because some knucklehead had a stupid attack which resulted in serious property damage--or worse--injuring someone. I pay better than any other company in my area. I start my inexperienced guys at $8.00 and if he can drive (with a 22' trailer), immediately starts at $10.00 per hour. During the spring and summer, employees can generally get all the O/T they want!! I do drug tests that the employee pays for initially and if the test comes back clean, I reimburse him, PLUS he receives his hourly wage on top of that. Anyone want to add to this?

mowerdude777
12-31-2008, 11:39 PM
A few years back I chose to hire my friend as my worker after haveing some bad luck with former employes. He works for low pretty pay and he does a great job I would never fire him just hope he wont quit ever! :)