PDA

View Full Version : Dump truck air brakes

Siteprep
11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a 2007 Freightliner 10 ton dump truck with air brakes, but no air brake hook up for a tag trailer.
How much $ and how hard is it to have air brake lines added to a dump truck to pull an air brake trailer.

mastercraft
11-30-2008, 04:49 PM
If the truck already has the tractor control valve, it is'nt very hard to do yourself, and mine was about a $100 bucks for the shop to run the air lines. If it does'nt, it is much more complicated because you have to run the lines and controls inside the cab, as well as to the rear. The last one I had done was 5 years ago, and set me back $700.

bobcat_ron
11-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I've always heard that if a truck like that doesn't have a hook up for trailer air, it's not a good pulling truck, or it lacks sufficient air supply.
Don't forget, you also need a tractor protection valve on the truck.

RockSet N' Grade
11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I had it checked out at a shop and estimated a couple years ago.........for a complete set up of new air lines to cab w/controls, proper air tanks, and air to the rear........all the magic was around $3,500 to have a mechanic do it.

Siteprep
11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
The truck has 2 air tanks on it, all I am needing to get done is running the air lines, in cab hook up and couplers. The truck is a 35000 lb unit and I am purchasing a 20 ton air brake trailer.

Gravel Rat
11-30-2008, 08:35 PM
You say 10 ton that is a tandem then you say it has a 35,000lb gvw that is a single axle.

Anyhow if it is a single axle and it has the small Mercedes power the truck isn't going to pull a 20 ton tag very well.

Now with the new trucks the Johnny bar in the Freighliners is on the dash so you might need to take it to freightliner dealer to have a factory trailer valve installed. So your going to need, tractor protection valve, hand valve, you may have to replace the tredle. They will have to rip the dash appart to install the valves and plumbing etc. Now if this is a single axle you may need to change the compressor. You also have the trailer wiring to install. Does the truck have a apron on the back to bolt a pintle to.

Siteprep
11-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, it is a single axle 35000 lb truck, it has a 285 hp engine. It has a 10 ton dump on it.
It has a pintle and electric brakes on it. I pull a 10 ton electric brake trailer, I am tired of spending $ replacing the brakes. I need to upgrade to a heavier trailer, I am in the process of upgrading to heavier class equipment. Now if the truck will not handle it then I may have to consider trading it for a tandem. I may not have to buy a 20 ton trailer I only need one that will hold 20,000 lbs comfortably possibly a 15 ton trailer. What do you all think. Thanks for all the input so far.

Gravel Rat
11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Hate to see you give up a fairly new truck. Single axles are not the greatest for pulling tags. All you can do is try it see how the truck does.

MackCat
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I have a single axle Mack with a 35000 GVW WITH A 250hp ENGINE AND IT PULLS A 20 TON TRAILER WITH A Cat 953C on it like it`s not even there, so I don`t think you will have any problems

Gravel Rat
12-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Pulling power isn't the problem its the touge weight makes the front wheels do the dance. You really need to pay attention to where you place the machine on the trailer. Put too much tounge weight and you have power steering.

A tandem axle has the same problem if you really put a good load on the tounge. I have seen 200 size excavators on a tandem axle tilt it is too much tounge weight and the truck is see sawing on the trunnion (spring suspension).

ksss
12-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I had a bid to do one a couple years ago and it was 2500.