PDA

View Full Version : Aeration - Acres Per Hr Avg

Josh.S
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey, I was wanting to see what kind of acres per hour you guys were getting in reality.

I am attempting to make a sheet in excel. This sheet will be for making prices, you will enter in the square footage of the property and the estimated efficiency percentage. I am trying to see how accurate it will be in estimating time, and then I can turn that time into prices.

So can you guys throw some number out for sq/feet or acres per hour with a walk behind aerator on several different property types.

JB1
11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
you really should get your own numbers for yourself, as specific to your machine. I know of a contractor and they time all their operations whether they are using a ztr, walkbehind, aerator or whatever other machines so they know their times for sure.

Josh.S
11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
you really should get your own numbers for yourself, as specific to your machine. I know of a contractor and they time all their operations whether they are using a ztr, walkbehind, aerator or whatever other machines so they know their times for sure.

I know. I just didn't do enough aeration this year. I told my guy to write the times down but he forgot because normally he just writes the date. And that one day was basically most the aerating.

I was just trying to get some ballpark figures for walk behind aerators to test my spreadsheet.

MOW ED
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I will probably get slammed but I did about 50,000 in 5.5 hours or so a few years back with a Lawnaire IV. Mostly flat yards but they did include landscaping and trees. Its hard to pin a definate number on this because there are so many variables. Weather, equipment, desire of the operator to work are all things to consider but hard to measure.
That above experience got me to but a small 15hp tractor with a 3 point hitch that has a 40 inch Classen split tine aerator on it. I now ride all but the smallest lawns and can actually make more money and work all day without getting tired.
I know this probably didn't help you much but mayby you will consider my setup for your operation. I would never go back to walking.

ALC-GregH
12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I will probably get slammed but I did about 50,000 in 5.5 hours or so a few years back with a Lawnaire IV. Mostly flat yards but they did include landscaping and trees. Its hard to pin a definate number on this because there are so many variables. Weather, equipment, desire of the operator to work are all things to consider but hard to measure.
That above experience got me to but a small 15hp tractor with a 3 point hitch that has a 40 inch Classen split tine aerator on it. I now ride all but the smallest lawns and can actually make more money and work all day without getting tired.
I know this probably didn't help you much but mayby you will consider my setup for your operation. I would never go back to walking.

That's funny. When I first saw a walk behind aerator I thought, man that looks like a b***h to operate. I had read on here that they're a handful to operate so I kept on looking and saw a tow behind model. I decided to rent the pull around aerator (don't own one) and did so. In 1 day I made about $700 just riding around customers lawns on my small garden tractor aerating. I even did my lawn before I had to return the rental. I'm looking forward to doing it all over again. :D

JB1
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM

this what we use, and yes it beats walking.

SLC, LLC
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM

You have any pictures of that setup?

BeautifulBlooms
12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Last year we used a bluebird rental ( I do not remember model or width but it was less than 2' of aeration width I think) I averaged 12,000 sq. ft. per hour. This year I bought a Turfco Turnaer 26 with the chariot, which you can use on most lawns at least some of the time. I averaged 19,000 sq. ft. per hour this year, and my body wasnt nearly as beat up.

I paid about $4000 for the aerator setup and sold $2700 in aeration this year (16 properties), so now that I own I am really going to push the service to all my lawn customers and all of our landscape properties.

gorrell
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I recently did two football fields and a high school baseball field in just under 3 hours with my 42" core aerator on a Steiner 525. Charged $350........Lynn

MOW ED
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
You have any pictures of that setup?

Sure do! It works great and the turf tires make it easy on the grass.

SLC, LLC
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for posting. What brand of aerator is that that you have there? Any specifics? Dealers?

MOW ED
12-02-2008, 08:15 AM
The aerator is a Classen 42" split tine aerator. It is the same as a Lesco just painted green. I bought it from an old member on this site who no longer posts but he was a dealer. It cost around 1100 delivered to my door from Iowa in 2002. It is a 3 pt set up but there is an option for a wheeled assy. if you don't have 3 point capability. The Model is 48R or 48RT I don't rmemeber the difference. Here is a link I found just off Google showing the wheeled option.

http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/classenaerator-p-218.html?cPath=202_213

Josh.S
12-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I've used those behind tractor setups before. I understand that they can do big areas cutting down a lot of time relative to a walk behind... but I could never get them to pull out nice plugs like the walk behind.

Do you guys get good solid plugs like the walk behinds?

Do you go over the property 2-3 times to try to get as many plugs per sq foot pulled as a walk behind?