PDA

View Full Version : landscape pro or dynascape?

Lance L
12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
has anyone used both of these? which do you like more, ignoring the cost difference. or if you have used earthscape or similar.

Dreams To Designs
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Are you comparing Drafix, Pro landscape to Dynascape. If so,I have used both and find the imaging features available in Pro Landscape to be a great selling feature for residential design. Both programs handle plans very efficiently, with a slight nod towards Dynascape for being a bit more elaborate. With the imaging features of Pro landscape, especially the 3D flyover feature, your client will be able to understand the design concept you are presenting a lot better than with simple plan drawings. You need good plans for installation and materials takeoff, but imaging can help you sell.

our intended use of the program should dictate your needs. Pro Landscape has yearly updates, excellent support and even a forum exclusively for it's registered users to share ideas and ask questions of the company and other users. For digital software you can't go wrong with either programs, I chose Pro Landscape for it's ease of use, better selling features and their excellent support system

Kirk

mowerman87
12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
has anyone used both of these? which do you like more, ignoring the cost difference. or if you have used earthscape or similar.

Thanks for the question, I just logged on to ask the exact same question and I have the order forms for both DynaScape and PRO Landscape on two other tabs right now. Something else I might add is that PRO is currently selling for less than half the cost of DynaScape ($1,195 Vs. $2,500). Either one is a pretty big software investment in my opinion and I want to buy the one that I will be happy with for years. Any further opinions or info would be welcome.

Lance L
12-06-2008, 02:14 PM
kirk have you found tha pro landscape lacks anything you need that dynascape has?

Dreams To Designs
12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Lance, not for my purposes. From what I have been told, the CAD engine in Dynascape is more powerful than what Pro Landscape uses, but it has never let me down. I know improvements to Pro Landscape's CAD & plan mode have been suggested and many are being addressed by their software engineers. The library of images and the method they use for adding images to the 3D mode are ever increasing. So whatever you can get a picture of, they can create an image that can be added to your database.

As with any software, Pro landscape, Dynascape or any others, the plans and images will only be as good as your design skills and abilities. Because of using CAD or 3D imaging almost any work looks good, but if used as a digital pencil and a presentation tool, software can be a great part, of your design toolbox.

When you make this investment for software, also include a large format printer, a computer powerful enough to run these programs properly, time to learn and practice and a training class specifically about the software you have purchased. Many buy design software with the hopes it will design for them and either abandon it down the road or never reap the full potential of what they own.

Kirk

Casey21
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I use Dynascape and love it. I first used Pro landscape and sent it back because I thought there photo rendering was not all that great to work with.

So now I use Dynascape for cad drawings and I use Ideaspectrums software for photo rendering. You can get there 3-d, photo and cad for a great price.
www.ideaspectrum.com

Anyone have a 3-d design from prolandscape to show?

ford550
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I use Dynascape and love it also. I also purchased Dynascape Color for the rendering. I used to do all by hand (that is my degree from PSU), now with these two programs I have cut my design time by 75% because of the effeciency of the programs. I also have an HP DesignJet T610 large format printer. Like it was stated above, make the investment in everything. Dynascape and printing sucks alot out of the computer.

Chris

Lance L
12-12-2008, 02:24 AM
well that was one of my largest concerns with dynascape, i felt that the lack of photo imaging would cost some sales if it was used by itself. chris do you also use ideaspectrum for your imaging? is it time consuming to do everything twice just for the imaging? or do they work together?

PrecisionL&L
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Just my opinion but I feel that Dynascape is a much better program than Pro Landscape. Where I work currently we use Pro Landscape and we are not going to spend the money to switch over to Dynascape unfortunately. Although I have not used the digital imaging aspect of Pro Landscape recently I always felt it left a lot to be desired and gave the client a false impression of an actual design, not all plants are perfect and flower at the same time. If you really want to use some modeling software try Google Sketch Up itís free and true to scale. I will try and attach a couple of designs I did in Pro Landscape and Google Sketch Up. I made the symbols in the drawings to look like the Dynascape symbols, that is another thing Pro Landscape needs to work that and hatch patterns. Hope this helps with your decision.

ford550
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Lance
I do not use ideaspectrum. I usually only use rendered plan views for presentation along with a pictoral presentation to show what it is going to look like. We have done pretty much everything, so I have pictures of it. However, sometimes if requested, I will either do a quick perspective by hand or google sketch up (free). Though Pro landscape has that 3-d feature it is just to "cartoon like" for what my clients are paying for in the design process. I can do it better by hand or google. Dynascape has far better symbols and hatches, etc IMO. Hope this helps.

Lance L
12-12-2008, 07:03 PM
yes it does, and i called dynascape earlier today to ask them about their plans on photo imaging, and they are working on it now, it wont be ready for a yr or so, but they are using (go figure.. =P) google sketch up. so i will go with the regular dynascape and purchase the addon in the future and try to figure out sketch up for now.

thanks for the replies =)

Lance L
12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
could one of you post a pic of a design done in sketch up? one you would show a customer. im having trouble finding pics of finished work online.

pullingrass
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Check out my website www.TheDetailedEdge.com... All I design with is pro landscape. Even though I would choose dynascape (I have used as well) the customers are in love with pro landscape imaging. One thing that I have found with customers is that seeing a picture in a design is nice but when it's there own they're blown away and HAVE TO HAVE IT!!

mike

www.thedetailededge.com

Dreams To Designs
12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Mike, what do you find to be the advantage of Dynascape over Pro Landscape. I agree with you on the imaging. Folks see their home, with your new landscape design, and most, must have it. For that reason, I always include that same image with proposed landscape lighting and hook many a homeowner to enjoying their landscape, even when the sun goes down.

Kirk

pullingrass
12-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Mike, what do you find to be the advantage of Dynascape over Pro Landscape. I agree with you on the imaging. Folks see their home, with your new landscape design, and most, must have it. For that reason, I always include that same image with proposed landscape lighting and hook many a homeowner to enjoying their landscape, even when the sun goes down.

Kirk

Advantage? If there is one it's not very major thats for sure. I've been using pro landscape CAD for one season so far and I know i'm fluent in it... I know when i first got pro landscape I was a bit confused with the way CAD worked but now that i have it figured out and I've saved 1500 bucks, I'm happy... I do like the way the new dynascape looks with the color ( i didn't have the color one) but pro landscape has color as well. One thing I hated when I was looking at pro landscape is the sloppy sample designs they had showing the product off.... I was a bit worried, Turns out to be fine and just up to the designer and the time involved to create a nice looking design...

Dreams To Designs
12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Mike, send them some of your work to update those sales and marketing brochures and digital information. I was just wondering what about Dynascape was better than Pro Landscape.

Kirk

pullingrass
12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I was just wondering what about Dynascape was better than Pro Landscape.

Kirk

It's absolutely NOT better if you rate each product side by side, including price....

Dreams To Designs
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Mike, you said in a previous post, "Even though I would choose dynascape (I have used as well) the customers are in love with pro landscape imaging." I was just wondering what advantages you saw with Dynascape over Pro Landscape. I trialled both, and actually almost every other software I could find, and am proud to use Pro Landscape as my main design software, but there is always room for improvement.

Kirk

Lance L
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
even tho i have not used either dynascape looks a few steps more profesional imho

Dreams To Designs
12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Lance, are you referring to the CAD renderings? With Pro Landscapes 8 different rendering modes, you can create any desired look, from straight Cad symbols to photrealistic and many in between. I have worked with Dynascape and continue to work with them, but for small scale commercial & high end residential, I don't find either Pro Landscape's or Dynascape's CAD to be much different. As for the advantage of 3D imaging and 3D flyover functions, Pro Landscape definitely has the upper hand.

If any users of Dynascape can explain what advantages it has over the other softwares, I am very interested.

Kirk

pullingrass
12-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Mike, you said in a previous post, "Even though I would choose dynascape (I have used as well) the customers are in love with pro landscape imaging." I was just wondering what advantages you saw with Dynascape over Pro Landscape. I trialled both, and actually almost every other software I could find, and am proud to use Pro Landscape as my main design software, but there is always room for improvement.

Kirk

mmmm maybe I didn't quite say it right (more likely I don't even know what im trying to say).... when I was looking to make a purchase I would have liked to stay with what I knew (dynascape). I like the look of dynascape CAD over Pro Landscape. Looking back I've made the right choice with pro.....

Chrysalis
01-03-2009, 03:31 AM
You guys are all just lucky you can afford to buy either, or. I've yet to be able to save up for it and I am dying to be able to offer photo realistic imaging to my prospective clients. So 2d only drawings for me! Maybe Ill get this big bid I just put in and be able to buy it.. Knock knock!

Marc

pullingrass
01-03-2009, 09:52 AM
You guys are all just lucky you can afford to buy either, or. I've yet to be able to save up for it and I am dying to be able to offer photo realistic imaging to my prospective clients. So 2d only drawings for me! Maybe Ill get this big bid I just put in and be able to buy it.. Knock knock!

Marc

I just came across this the other day and looks really good.... haven't went through it in detail though. for the price looks sweet.... http://www.ideaspectrum.com/

Dreams To Designs
01-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Marc, have someone do the imaging or design for you and mark it up and sell it to your customer. Design takes a lot of time and knowledge, along with the right tools to present it. Better left to folks that specialize in it or have larger companies that have designers or landscape architects. You would be better off with time and money spent to have a designer create images or designs for you at this stage. You may have someone local that can be more of a help on location, or many of us can get a photo from you, image it and email it back for a reasonable fee. Most images take at least an hour's time to design and create, so expect to pay at least an hour's worth of studio time. Imaging can certainly help you and your client see the vision that you are trying to create.

Kirk

Paradise Landscapes
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
How big of a picture or landscape plan can you print out with Pro Landscape? (Even if you have a plotter)

Paradise Landscapes
01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Can Pro Landscape design irrigation plans too?

Dreams To Designs
01-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Paradise, yes the CAD plans do have irrigation symbols on a separate layer, so yes, it does irrigation plans. You may have to add or create some of the symbols you prefer or are used to, but that is also simple.

I have never printed anything larger than 36" x 48" and that was quite easy. I see no reason in why it can't print larger if needed. With anything larger than 24" x 36", I create a scalable PDF and send it to the printer or drop it on a flash drive and take it to the printer myself. Some of the larger scale drawing are too large for my email server to handle.

Kirk