PDA

View Full Version : Which ATV?

MikeKle
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I am looking at ATVs mainly for doing residential snow plowing, but also plan to use for pulling aerators, dethatchers, and maybe spraying. I was told to stay away from any automatic trannys because they could not handle the plowing duty. Obviously the bigger the engine the better, but I am thinking of one around 500cc. Will this be enough for snow? If I dont need a 700cc+ atv, I surely dont want to spend the money for one, plus every ATV I have seen that is over 500cc has the automatic tranny,anyone know of one that is manual? I know I will need a 4WD as well. Thanks for the help.

corey4671
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I have an 03 Honda Rubicon and it has both the auto and manual tranny. It's a 500cc. Plenty of power. I have a plow but we never get enough snow to justify it. I just use it to grade my driveway after a heavy rain.

SuperMag
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
We have a Rincon that is both automatic and standard and we've pulled everything with it including cars and a truck that was stuck. This is our second Honda, had a smaller one but wanted more power! (plus the hand grip warmers are nicer in the cold weather!)

Get an after market winch though, trust me you don't want to find out the hard way!

slamjamrockinman
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
My uncle has a grizzley 660. It is a mean machine!! Tons of power, we use it to pull just about anything-Fish houses, boat trailers, etc.. The independent suspension is awesome. I prefer the grizzley over my buddies sportsman. The grizzley is fast speed wise-Ive done about 60 across the lake! But still won't beat my honda dirtbike! lol

ColePyck
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
06 Honda Rubicon Manual/Auto Tranny. My dad has a 05 Honda Rincon and mine has the low gear which is nice for plowing or pulling attachments. I have a country cycle plow hooked up and it pushes the snow great. I like my dads Rincon, its faster and has Independent suspension all around. But for working around the yard we use mine!

deere615
12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
My kawasaki prairie 360 pushes snow fine I have used it to aerate before also

CrystalCreek
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Kawasaki 750 Brute force. I know its an automatic, But if you keep the belt dry, it is unstopable. I have used it for residental plowing for two years. Pulled the tranny belt to see if it was wearing out. NO VISIABLE WEAR!!!! Automatics may seem weak, but I wouldnt want to do plowing any other way. One less thing to think about. The selectable 4WD makes turning in tight areas very easy. As far as the engine size, the bigger engines don't have to work as hard as the smaller ones. Unfortunatly, the price is what the price is. Hope this helps and good luck. A write off that is also FUN!!!!

centraltxturf
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Honda Rancher 4x4 trx420 with a 24 gallon sprayer and a spyker spreader for it. I just listed it on ebay so I can buy a permagreen. if you're interested visit ebay. item # 150313624210.

Wittapp
12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Great discussion. Thanks guys. I have been thinking about an atv set up for snow myself. Can't justify it yet. Not sure I will ever be able to. Not that much snow in my area of Ohio. Maybe two or three a year that justify removal

ColePyck
12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a Honda Rancher 4x4 trx420 with a 24 gallon sprayer and a spyker spreader for it. I just listed it on ebay so I can buy a permagreen. if you're interested visit ebay. item # 150313624210.

Wow that thing is hardcore, with the money and time in that thing you probably could have bought two used permagreens! Thats gotta spread kinda funny since your driving into it

centraltxturf
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah I'm selling it to buy a Permagreen unit. It's a really nice set-up, but I dont use it that much. The spread is fine with it on the front, if i go a little slower. I prefer it on the back, hwever, but that means I have to take off the sprayer. I switch it around based on the time of the year and what kind of jobs I have lined up.

grassaholic
12-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I am looking at ATVs mainly for doing residential snow plowing, but also plan to use for pulling aerators, dethatchers, and maybe spraying. I was told to stay away from any automatic trannys because they could not handle the plowing duty. Obviously the bigger the engine the better, but I am thinking of one around 500cc. Will this be enough for snow? If I dont need a 700cc+ atv, I surely dont want to spend the money for one, plus every ATV I have seen that is over 500cc has the automatic tranny,anyone know of one that is manual? I know I will need a 4WD as well. Thanks for the help.

Whoever told you to avoid the automatic quads is sadly mistaken. I've got an 01 Sportsman 500 with a snowplow and never had a problem. With all the forward/reverse shifting when plowing, an automatic is the best. Some guys just don't like automatic quads and like to talk trash about them.
Someone else mentioned the Brute Force automatic, thats a nice quad. A friend of mine has one and I really like it. Overall I would have to say that an automatic transmission is the BEST option for plowing.

cgaengineer
12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I agree with grassaholic, auto is the way to go...these quads are made for doing work.

Supertiger
12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
you might consider one of the new side by side Units like the Kawasaki Mule or Polaris Ranger it has a unlocking rear differential so when you make a turn on the lawn you wond tear up the lawn and you can haul all of your extra fertilizer or chemicals in the bed while your making your applications without returning to the truck for more chemicals. And last but not least on the weekend when your not working you can go trail ridding still and carry plenty of beer in the back.:cool2:

AI Inc
12-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Even for running thru the woods an auto is better. Racing I would go shift , but all around 4 wheeling Ill take an auto. My polaris is just a cheapo 4x2 auto , but a blast.

cgaengineer
12-04-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a Recon ES, I guess you could say it is semi auto as you have to change gears, but all of the clutching is done automatically. They call it a 250cc but its actually a smaller engine then that, only 4x2 but is great for around the house pulling a little garden trailer or moving my lawn care trailer. Mine needs tires right now but I actually prefer them bald in the rear so they don't dig up my lawn.

Whatever brand you get make sure it has a standard sized receiver hitch.