PDA

View Full Version : Plant Growth Regulators...how, what, where, when....

TMGL&L
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I have one hundred questions so I'll number a few to start with.

1. I understand how IGR's (insect growth regulators) work. It is basically just a synthetic juvenile horomone mimic that keep insects in there juvenile stages. Is that how pgr's work???

2. What kind of applications are used on turf and other plants? Liquid systemic? Pelletized and taken through the roots?

3. What is the environmental impact of pgr's in general...I am assuming they are toxic.

4. Do gardener's use pgr's on anything other than turf??? :confused: bonsai tree's? Food crops?

5. Can someone point me to a good source of info on the subject?

phasthound
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I have one hundred questions so I'll number a few to start with.

1. I understand how IGR's (insect growth regulators) work. It is basically just a synthetic juvenile horomone mimic that keep insects in there juvenile stages. Is that how pgr's work???

2. What kind of applications are used on turf and other plants? Liquid systemic? Pelletized and taken through the roots?

3. What is the environmental impact of pgr's in general...I am assuming they are toxic.

4. Do gardener's use pgr's on anything other than turf??? :confused: bonsai tree's? Food crops?

I have not used any on turf, but I have used Cambistat http://www.rainbowscivance.com/Cambistat/index.asp on mature trees with some good results. I am not aware of any environmental effects. I think it can be a good tool for stressed trees when used properly, but I am uncomfortable using it over a long time period.

ICT Bill
12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Look up
Gibberellic acid
Auxin
Cytokinin

there are others, using these usually has adverse effects long term. Plants can balance these within the growing cycle, squirting these on plants gets things out of balance

The most interesting thing is... they are also produced by bacteria and fungi in the soil. Why would microbes produce things that are typically made within the plant itself ?????? :confused:

Or chitonase, also produced within the plant for all kinds of good things, bacteria and fungi produce it too, HUH ???

antibiotic, biotics, enzymes, etc. all soil bourn factories made in the soil

Its a war down there beneath your feet

BTW, most of the ones that you can buy are not made from bacteria or fungi but produced through synthetic means

CHARLES CUE
12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Ist just saying plant growth reg is kind veag there are all different kinds for different things. It would be like asking has any bouby on here used fert.
I have used 2 different types both liquid one for root growth and one for top growth i know the one for root growth is a natural product not sure about the other.dont know about the environmental impact. may be this can help some.
Charles Cue

Kiril
12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Gibberellic acid, Auxin, Cytokinin

Used all of the above in micro-propagation courses, in the field however the only one I can think of is rootone (Auxin).

Kiril
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM

To broad a field ... you need to be more specific.

ICT Bill
12-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Gibberellic acid was all the rage in the golf industry many years ago. They found long term use left them with turf that kind of fell apart, it would grow faster than the plant could get its foundations set and you left with a stringy watery blade that did not hold up well to foot traffic

Auxin is used heavily for propagation in greenhouses, in certified organic growing it is banned because it is synthetically derived

syzer
12-03-2008, 09:26 AM
So is there a safe pgr to use on turf, organic or synthetic? Was thinking about doing this myself on some large tough to maintain hills on some properties this year.

TMGL&L
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Ist just saying plant growth reg is kind veag there are all different kinds for different things. It would be like asking has any bouby on here used fert.
I have used 2 different types both liquid one for root growth and one for top growth i know the one for root growth is a natural product not sure about the other.dont know about the environmental impact. may be this can help some.
Charles Cue

Ya I knew I ventured into the thread with so little knowledge that I could hardly manage to figure out what to ask. :laugh:...That's partly my reasoning for going here first to get a grasp of what I'm looking for.

I've heard of auxin from my research and experience with pruning...and I've heard of rootone and it's uses as well...And I've heard of giberellin (GA) used in germinating grass seed and so forth. but didn't know much about it....and still don't.

...ok so, I am assuming these compounds (Abscisic acid, Auxins, Cytokinins, Ethylene, Gibberellins) are phytohoromones and are the main ingrediant used in plant growth regulators to alter the growth rates of plants...:confused:. Maybe I'm totally off there, I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

To syzer's question...if one is altering the natural growth horomones in a plant to grow in a not-so-natural way, it sounds unsustainable if not toxic to humans. Even if it doesn't kill other plants or animals it has to mess up something....right?

TMGL&L
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone

It's over my head but has some information on plant horomones. I read it over nonetheless.

Kiril
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
So is there a safe pgr to use on turf, organic or synthetic?

............ water

syzer
12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
............ water

Interesting, I never knew water would suppress the growth of turf, here I always thought it was the other way around and used for growth. That explains everything!

growingdeeprootsorganicly
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Interesting, I never knew water would suppress the growth of turf, here I always thought it was the other way around and used for growth. That explains everything!

more water=moregrowth
less water=lessgrowth
:hammerhead:

treegal1
12-03-2008, 05:43 PM
more water=moregrowth
less water=lessgrowth
:hammerhead:

in the correct amounts,

if you let him dehydrate to death and then throw him in a lake its no good

dang it I cant find my yin yang

12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
in the correct amounts,

if you let him dehydrate to death and then throw him in a lake its no good

always!.......

12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
it's obvious but kiril brought up a good point about water being a organic plant growth regulator.

any particular plant and it's soil medium has a % of water saturation that is optimum for the best growth of that plant. what ever that may be for that situation

if you add or reduce your % of saturation you slow growth? with in reason so not to cause decline to the plant

so to much or too little acts like a organic growth regulator?

in a situations like growing turf whether organic or synthetic if you control the water you control the growth?

syzer
12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Well perhaps I mistook what he meant, however these are non-irrigated properties, and we cant control rainfall.

So on a normal growing maintenance account with average rain falls and all variables being standard across the board with no drought, or insane rainfalls, would there be a product organic or synthetic that will ****** the turfs growth reducing cuts on large steep hills?

GaGolfSup
12-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Primo and Cutless both inhibit the plant's production of gibberelic acid. When used properly they control the top growth of grass. They are very expensive and if you are not careful can be phytotoxic...Just like any synthetic hormone or chemical we put in our bodies they can really mess up a plant. I would reccomend avoiding any Nitrogen (synthetic or organic) application to these slopes as well as any supplemental irrigation as a way to regulate growth as opposed to applying any PGR. BTW all the PGR mentioned before actually stimulate growth (Giberrilic acid, Auxin, Cytokinin). These are like steroids. They give you growth, but within tons of unintended consequences.

Kiril
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I would reccomend avoiding any Nitrogen (synthetic or organic) application to these slopes as well as any supplemental irrigation as a way to regulate growth as opposed to applying any PGR.

Nail On Head .... Hit Squarely.