PDA

View Full Version : increased mole activity after going organic

mrkosar
12-02-2008, 03:29 PM
first, have any of you noticed more moles in your pure organic lawns because of the increase in earthworms and lack of pesticides? i have had several customers say their mole problems have gotten much worse since going organic.

second, what to do about them? the natural repellants made from castor oil haven't seemed to work. besides mole traps (which i haven't seen work too well either) is there anything else i can do for these properties? i don't want to, but i'm considering using Talpirid. it is the only product that i've actually heard works against moles.

treegal1
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
ok so you want to get rid of a more or less harmless critter that eats grubs and other pest and then turns then into a fert of sorts and deposits said fert in the spaces in the soil that it aerates??? I dont do anything but stand up for moles and voles, and if needed scare them away......

http://www.getridofmoles.com/solar-mole-repeller.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molehill

ICT Bill
12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
ok so you want to get rid of a more or less harmless critter that eats grubs and other pest and then turns then into a fert of sorts and deposits said fert in the spaces in the soil that it aerates??? I dont do anything but stand up for moles and voles, and if needed scare them away......
True, true but there are some folks that just can't handle anything other than grass in there yard

It is a valid question to ask, hopefully other will chime in as to their experiences

these things normally run in cycles, a bunch this year, some next year, none for quite some time and then they are back. That's how it works with rabbits and foxes around us too

That is how my yard seems to work

Barefoot James
12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
We have huge mole issues - so bad some yards are in terriable shape. They have gotten much worse since going to organics. We have mole movers on several yards that have some effect moving moles to other yards because of sound/vibration waves. We use traps, etc. But the problem is real and we need help, in Louisville. www.moleman.com out of Cincinnatti is the best from what I hear. I wish he had operations down here so I could refer about 100 customers - he could make a killing - literally.:gunsfirin

JDUtah
12-03-2008, 01:53 AM

http://www.getridofmoles.com/solar-mole-repeller.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molehill

"and in 1702, William III of England died from pneumonia after his horse tripped on a molehill. Such accidents, however, are quite rare."

Prolly the greatest wiki link ever. :) Love it Tree.

Tim Wilson
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
On a hundred acres we have a lot of moles. In areas where they become a problem we trap them with 'black holes'.

Barefoot James
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
OK I'm hooked what's a black hole??

phasthound
12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Try this:
http://www.liquidfence.com/mole-vole-gopher-repellents.html

Kiril
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Try this:

............. Or this:

ICT Bill
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
That is one big pussy cat, I do believe the moles could out dig that one. Cats are very good at hunting moles though

Maybe you could start up a business and rent out your cat, is that the worlds oldest business?? :)

ICT Bill
12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Try this:
http://www.liquidfence.com/mole-vole-gopher-repellents.html

castor oil, buy it wholesale and save like 11 million bucks. it makes the grubs and worms taste bad to the mole, supposedly

Kiril
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe you could start up a business and rent out your cat, is that the worlds oldest business?? :)

LOL ... not my cat. I would never let my cat get that fat. :dizzy:

Barefoot James
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
That cat sleeps by it's food dish. I do know that cats are great for hunting moles unless they sleep by their food dish:laugh:. I don't have any moles - I think due to the crack pipe maker next door that loves cats - a whole nother story - but no moles here. Other yards that have cats - no moles and yards that never had them, and now do, have old cats. Themoleman.com probably can get them and expert mole trappers too - but their is for sure an art to trapping them. I have gotten better but need more training. The taliprid works too, but you can be just as effective trapping with traps and getting the mole to eat the poision worm. and traps are sustainable and don't kill your dog (many dogs have been poisioned eating poision worms - from what I have heard).

mrkosar
12-05-2008, 02:20 PM
thanks. treegal these varmits are not "harmless" when they are ripping up my customer's lawns. i would love to stand up for them, but when they are causing my perfectly maintained lawn to look horrible, then they become my enemy. some people can handle it, but most hate it. it makes it tough to mow, it looks bad, and it is not good for business.

it seems like i have few options:

buy a cat for all my customers
find a local trapper and establish a relationship
learn how to trap and offer it
test out castor oil repellants and vibration tools more
use talpirid

has anyone experienced the repellants such as liquid fence? i had one customer use it this year and it did nothing at all. i don't know if it was liquid fence, but i do know it was a castor oil based product.

treegal1
12-05-2008, 05:11 PM
yep castor works if you stay on it.........

treegal1
12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
OK what ever, you really want to kill something and not eat it then fine just get some earth worms and juicy fruit bubble gum and coat the gum(without touching it!!!) in worms whole and parts, then just add it to the mole hole and they will die.......... boo ho, sniff.:cry:

growingdeeprootsorganicly
12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
cool pic!

that leaf looks alot like.........:rolleyes:

treegal1
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
blaze that and it may kill ya....

any ways we grow our own Castor beans its easy and makes great oil for fuel, the wash still tastes like, gahk.......

mrkosar
12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
yep castor works if you stay on it.........

what does that mean? how often?

treegal1
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
we have one yard near a preserve and they get dillos and moles all the time and some other critters, caster works but we apply it every time we are there, hot pepper also.

treegal1
12-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I have also just talked with a trapper and he said " if you can keep them from smelling your trap then just get any old trap and set it". but he kept saying if you can hide your smell and they got a nose like a drug dog.

he also said to try some zoo poo or fake panther piss

phasthound
12-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I have also just talked with a trapper and he said " if you can keep them from smelling your trap then just get any old trap and set it". but he kept saying if you can hide your smell and they got a nose like a drug dog.

he also said to try some zoo poo or fake panther piss

The best deer repellent I ever used was fresh lion manure around my veggie garden. I could actually hear the deer say, "Holy Crap!!".

Kiril
12-06-2008, 09:33 AM
The best deer repellent I ever used was fresh lion manure around my veggie garden. I could actually hear the deer say, "Holy Crap!!".

...... and it then took a crap and added to the fertility of your land. :laugh:

Tim Wilson
12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Black Hole

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/gopher-traps-2.html