PDA

View Full Version : Software for strictly payroll?

davis45
12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I've been using Microsoft Word and spreadsheet for my business for years. Payroll is done by pen/paper/calculator. I bought quickbooks a few months back and I hate it. Now next season we will only have around 50 maint accounts, 8 cemeteries that are billed to two people instead of sending 8 seperate. We also do about 6-10 landscape installs a year. So I don't have a huge need for the invoice/estimate software. I never plan on having more than 5 employee's. I will also never have hundreds of accounts due to the fact we target large scale contracts instead of hundreds of small ones. With that said I would like some software that is strictly payroll, is there even such a thing? Something that will give me updates, calculate on its own, etc? Thanks for any help or tips.

sa1lng
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
You might want to look at a payroll service. They are relatively inexpensive and handle everything including federal filings, year end filings, deductions, etc.

The service we use is Paychex

JFGLN
12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
We use Quickbooks, its easy. Paychex is a good company if all you need is payroll processing.

UpNorth
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Look into Paychex. I use them too. The small amount they charge is so worth it. They pay your taxes for you if you choose and it's just one more thing you don't have to worry about.

As far as quickbooks, a friend of mine uses it for his company and gives me a hard time for using Paychex, and he's not the best when it comes to computers. So Im really surprised you hate the program.

davis45
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. Yea, everyone thinks i'm crazy for not liking quickbooks. I've taken alot of computer classes before, but I just don't like it. Maybe I will mess around with it a little more over the winter then make a decision.

FCPWLLC
12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Pay Chex.... They also have Workers Comp Services too.

davis45
12-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I appreciate it guys, never heard of paychex but I am going to look into it.

cash4trash
12-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Have you had a look at MYOB Payroll

B & B Yardscape
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I've use Quicken and Excell spread sheets for my business for years. I bought Quick Books and could not get into it. I do use it for weekly invoicing on some jobs.

I use QuickPayroll. It is through Quicken. There is a yearly service fee of around $170 depending on employees. It checks for updates before you use it. You enter the info for each employee one time and when you print their check all you have to do is enter their hours. It calculates the pay check, quarterly and year end stuff.

Good Luck

Equipguy
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Check out Medlin software out of Napa, Ca. The payroll package is only $50 per year and it's easy to use with good support if needed.

JustCut
12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Pay Chex.... They also have Workers Comp Services too.

Curious to how much per emp does it cost for the payroll service? If you don't mind me asking.

brandtb1
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I use quickbooks and I like the software. There is a company around here called CompUpay that only charges a small amount each month to do your payroll and tax filings. I would talk to other small business owners in your area and see who they use.

lawntennis
12-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I use checkmark. It is a payroll software program that is easy. It cost about 225 per year though because you have to buy updates every year due to tax law changes.

grass-scapes
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I use quickbooks enhanced payroll. I buy it when it goes on sale in March for 99 dollars. When you activate it, do NOT do the auto renew because it costs 300 a year. Wait till it goes on sale and buy it and just install the new license number. Simple and much cheaper.

FCPWLLC
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Curious to how much per emp does it cost for the payroll service? If you don't mind me asking.

I pay around $53/payperiod for 4 employees. I think that includes an amount for the service + like $3.00/employee. They take care of everything. They withhold taxes, fica etc and then also make my payments to state and fed. And give me a packet with all the numbers. All we do is call in the hours and go pick up the checks. They will mail them too or do direct deposit.

JustCut
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. What a great price for all those services. My accountant is nowhere close on price. Is your payperiod wkly or bi wkly and would that make a difference whats your thoughts?

Jason Pallas
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I was just looking into Intuit.Com for payroll - looks pretty good. These are the people that brought us Turbo Tax and Quicken. They have some pretty good deals on the website. I think I might switch to them. We've been using a local payroll service - but they're gotten way too expensive. We started out trading lawn service for the service - about 10 years ago. It was pretty much a wash. Now we spend like $1600 a year just for payroll! And that's only for about 8 or so weekly employees from April to December. Anyone else think that sounds s bit high? What about Intuit, anyone use em?

elite lawns
01-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the info I'm going to .look into these sites

DuallyVette
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Quick Books Pro + Payroll.
If you pay someone to do this for you...you may also want to hire someone to put your socks on for you. Maybe , drive to their office, and have those socks installed.

Jason Pallas
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Not sure who that was directed at - but, some of us run rather large operations and sometimes it's more cost effective to pay someone to "put our socks on" because while they're doing that, we can be making much more money - outweighing the cost benefit of "putting on our own socks". Thanks for the info on Quick Books Pro.