PDA

View Full Version : You think you are good with x-mas lights?

ovalracer44
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Not this good.

http://www.monkeybriefs.com/view/video/6/Wizards-of-Winter_627.html

qualitylandscaping
12-03-2008, 10:30 PM
hopefully you get along well with the neighbors....

ovalracer44
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM

They guy that did that is an electrical engineer. I thought it was a fake video (still animation, taking photos and linking them together to make a film) so I had my brother that does movie work break the video down frame by frame and it is clearly not a fake. What he said made it real was the movement of the reflections of light on the house.

TXNSLighting
12-04-2008, 12:34 AM
They guy that did that is an electrical engineer. I thought it was a fake video (still animation, taking photos and linking them together to make a film) so I had my brother that does movie work break the video down frame by frame and it is clearly not a fake. What he said made it real was the movement of the reflections of light on the house.

This was done about 5 or 6 years ago, and definately not fake. Ive seen it i dont know how many times and i still love watching it! I love how it builds, brighter and brighter and so on. Trans siberian orchestra is full of some very talented musicians.

ovalracer44
12-04-2008, 12:38 AM
This was done about 5 or 6 years ago, and definately not fake. Ive seen it i dont know how many times and i still love watching it! I love how it builds, brighter and brighter and so on. Trans siberian orchestra is full of some very talented musicians.

I watched it several times in a row. I don't know whats better, this guys talent with electricity or the music.

TXNSLighting
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I watched it several times in a row. I don't know whats better, this guys talent with electricity or the music.

I bought their Cd back when i saw this video and still play it every december! Really gets me in the mood! I suggest getting it, ill try and find the case so i can give you the name.

David Gretzmier
12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
youtube.com has many different videos of this nature.

KCL
12-14-2008, 07:32 AM
I installed this setup on a much larger scale for the prominade mall in bolingbrook. Carson works for the company parker 3d. They sold the job, we installed it.

IA_James
12-14-2008, 08:12 AM

A guy here in town did this, pissed off one of the neighbors enough that he had a spotlight rigged in his yard shining down the street so that all the people driving by to look at the set up had the light shining right in their eyes. He didn't approve apparently.

syzer
12-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I dont think its that difficult to do. I have been planning on trying for years, just never have any time.

You can get the hardware and software to do this here:

http://www.lightorama.com/

David Gretzmier
12-14-2008, 10:01 AM
planetchristmas.com has several folks that do this as well. Yes, is cool to watch, but fairly difficult to pull off and it tends to really upset the neighbors.

wurkn with amish
12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
do those lights wear out faster because of messing with the electric?

hotrod1965
12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
With LED's it doesn't matter.. well if you use good quality LED's.. The incandescents will die faster because you are turning them off and on all the time.

This stuff isn't that hard to do. We work with animated lighting, they are set up to work with installers, so they can ship you a set up programmed and ready to go.

turf hokie
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Do it tastefully and run the music thru an FM transmitter and the neigbors should be ok. Mine love what we have done with it, we even did Halloween this year. But then again, we have a neigborhood with quite a few kids so that helps.

I was told that it will not affect LED's as long as they are put on the stringer at the factory. The ones that I have customized (c-9) and screwed in myself will apparently lose 70-80% of their life expectancy. This is my second season and I replace 1 out of about 300 c-9 LED so far, so good.

wurkn with amish
12-15-2008, 09:50 AM
can you tell me where I can find animation setup?

hotrod1965
12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
animatedlighting.com or light o rama sells the stuff you need.

David Gretzmier
12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
We've discussed this in another thread, but I'll echo the comments I made there- the folks with the funds to be able to afford this set up tend to be in nicer neighborhoods, 400k plus. Those neighbors may think having blinking flashy lights is cool the first time they see it and hear the music on November 15th. after a month of traffic and blinds drawn, I am certain it is an irritant and not a pleasant thing.

Hey, I'd go see it and watch and listen, but I don't wanna live there. And I'll gladly install it for a price.

I have a client in a nice but certainly not extreme high end neighborhood who has a neighbor that has an entire roof with each string of c-9's blinking randomly. I do 3 of the houses nearby and know a few of thier neighbors. you can guess what they think.

I think everyone has a right to decorate how they wish. But when that decorating makes life less pleasant for those around them by virtue of traffic and the flashing lights intrudes the neighboring windows, at some point you start encroaching on others rights.

I know it is hard to figure out where to draw the line, and I don't propose to. many folks go to court to have folks tone down displays. more times than not the judge rules in favor of non flashing, non animated displays and a somewhat average number of lights so as to not encourage traffic and to keep the neighborhood peace.

hotrod1965
12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I know a guy who got banned by his HOA for having a huge animated display. It was really awsome.. but the nieghbors didn't like the traffic.

The only set up I sold this year like this was going behind someones house so they could watch it with the music playing inside. Not designed to show off to others!