PDA

View Full Version : methane??

treegal1
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
any one have any expertise with methane generators for fuel and a source of fertilizer?????

ICT Bill
12-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Nope, I do know that the practice has been used for a long time in California in landfills. It is slowly moving around the country but I saw the "experimental" use of it in the late 80's in California. Pales Verdes landfill I do believe outside LA

Source of fertilizer? got me on that one

BTW have you noticed that there is almost no one from CA on this forum, Kiril for sure but name one more. Maybe its like china where they don't allow them on the internet outside their state

Smallaxe
12-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Pretty difficult to 'capture' methane from rotting materials. We have a system of capturing the heat from rotting materials. Hot water running through black hoses is something we can do.

Capturing an invisible gas in pure enough form, then , presurrizing it to the point of usablility in the typical 'gas furnace' , is a bit beyond the interest of your typical home owner.

ICT - I hear what you are saying about 'censorship' of the internet. It is popping up everywhere!?!?!?!!
Earlier we were talking about info for 'FREE" now we are talking about info 'AT ALL".

JDUtah
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.woodsend.org/biogas.html

treegal1
12-05-2008, 09:39 PM
for my interest we are going to use a tractor inner tube as a bladder and 3 barrels, the pressure will be at or around 2-2.5 psi from what i understand its the same pressure as a stove uses or central NG in a home, natural nothing done, from the tank its 75% methane and 23 % co2 with 2% other gases. I want it for a charcoal retort inside a green house( to collect the co2 and recapture it in an elaborate system of "nature"

LawnTamer
12-05-2008, 09:46 PM
any one have any expertise with methane generators?????

You mean like fish tacos and chili cheese fritos?

treegal1
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
not exactly, but the waste from that will work. then one of these.

JDUtah
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
You mean like fish tacos and chili cheese fritos?

HAHAHAHA That's great!

LawnTamer
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
not exactly, but the waste from that will work. then one of these.

I don't even want to know where that plugs in!

No seriously, I understand how you could capture the methane from the materials, but how does one utilize it as fertilizer?

treegal1
12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
you guys from utah ever get snow?? what would free heat all winter do for you $$$ wise, or free power all year and when your done a pile of free fert????

fish taco's who would eat that???

LawnTamer
12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
you guys from utah ever get snow?? what would free heat all winter do for you $$$ wise, or free power all year and when your done a pile of free fert????

Me....

Ok, I got ya. So what are you wanting to collect methane off, garbage?

treegal1
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't even want to know where that plugs in!

No seriously, I understand how you could capture the methane from the materials, but how does one utilize it as fertilizer?
it plugs into a stove or iner tube (to store it)

oh the fert, ammonia, YEAH MON.

ANY WASTE WILL WORK

treegal1
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
loads of free N =ammonia, in scads

treegal1
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
wash the digestive some I am hoping. but dont really have a plan just yet thats why I am asking so many hare brained ideas

Tim Wilson
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.completebiogas.com

everything you need in this book

Prolawnservice
12-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Me too I'm going to get some now, Surf taco Mmmmm!

muddstopper
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Treegal, run down to your nearest Tractor Supply and buy the Farmshow magazine this month. $9.95. Inside you will find info on making diesel from Chicken manure. Sequesturing Carbon from your tractors exhaust, Heating your green house with compost, or even your house. A 3hp oil extractor that squeezes oil out of sunflower or soybeans. Do it yourself alcohol stills. Solar heaters out of pop cans. A wood burning car.( 9000 miles per cord) Building an electric car. Making your own windmill for electricity or pumping water. Anyways, you get the ideal. Enough stuff in that one mag to keep your head gears churning and hands busy for at least a year.

GaGolfSup
12-18-2008, 09:22 AM
My question is does the magazine have any info on how to convince your spouse that those are worthwhile projects?:laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
That is the trick

Kiril
12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Nope, I do know that the practice has been used for a long time in California in landfills. It is slowly moving around the country but I saw the "experimental" use of it in the late 80's in California. Pales Verdes landfill I do believe outside LA

Here is one project in NorCal, landfill bioreactor.

http://www.epa.gov/projectxl/yolo/netl.pdf

muddstopper
12-18-2008, 11:08 PM
My question is does the magazine have any info on how to convince your spouse that those are worthwhile projects?:laugh:

Actually, my wife bought the mag. She read thru it and started saying, we can do this! Like I need a few more projects.:cry:

treegal1
12-19-2008, 08:53 AM

simple math is all it took me to get the idea that this would work, the one I have now =barrel and inner tube , makes a ton of heat day and night. its a small flame bu give off the BTU's that it takes to get the job done........

thanks for the mag tip, thats cool, oh and the link Kiril:)

NattyLawn
12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Good stuff in this thread. I just bought a greasecar kit for my car, and now I want to figure out how to use WVO in my oil burner or figure something else out.

muddstopper
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Natty, I was reading the mag this morning and there is an article on building a centrifuge to seperate the water and other solids from used Veggie oil. According to the author, after passing thru the centrifuge, the oil is cleaner than it was when it was new. He claims it will also work on used motor oil. I think he said he could clean 5 gal's per hour of used veggie oil with his homemade kit.

NattyLawn
12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Natty, I was reading the mag this morning and there is an article on building a centrifuge to seperate the water and other solids from used Veggie oil. According to the author, after passing thru the centrifuge, the oil is cleaner than it was when it was new. He claims it will also work on used motor oil. I think he said he could clean 5 gal's per hour of used veggie oil with his homemade kit.

Sold...I'll find this mag somewhere.

JDUtah
09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Tree,

Any update on this? Are you still using it? How is the "fertilizer" working out?