PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Money help

Outdoor Creations
12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a bit of a problem brewing and I need help or advice from you guys.

Not to make this to long I will try to make it short as possible. I have had 2 big jobs at the end of the season and they total about $40 K. I followed all of the builders rules about sending bills in so I would be peid in 30. Well jobs are complete, bills turned in and it has been over 45 days. I called the other day just to inquire about the status and the uy just blew up on me. That I had alot of nerve asking (his words were begging) for money). I was shocked! He was swearing at me and all of that crap. I asked him when I would be getting paid and he had no real awnser for me. He just kept avoiding the question.
What does a guy do? I have never had such a problem like this. This is one of those deals where the actual builder hires someone to build then subs all of the work out. So you have to get paid when they get paid. I understand all of that but it just makes it very confusing.

ANY ADVICE WILL HELP! THANKS

Big C
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Did you have them sign a contract for this job.....shame on you if you didn't!:nono:

Flow Control
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
If you want to make sure you get your money you will want to lien the property. That would be step number 1. You are limited to how many days can pass before you are unable to put a lien on a home.

Outdoor Creations
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
They are the kind of builder that will not sign contracts. It is really sad to say it is that way but it is. They are pretty big but anytime you do work for them it is pretty much the same run around. It sucks to throw out a job like that at ya at the end of the season and let you bite???

Big C
12-06-2008, 02:48 AM
They are the kind of builder that will not sign contracts. It is really sad to say it is that way but it is. They are pretty big but anytime you do work for them it is pretty much the same run around. It sucks to throw out a job like that at ya at the end of the season and let you bite???

Rule #1...NO CONTRACT:nono:.......NO WORK:nono:

Flow Control
12-06-2008, 08:54 AM

WOW!!! :dizzy:

Still put a lien on the house.

Reading your first post you mentioned that you get paid when they get paid?? Do you mean that your were a sub of another sub for that builder, or that when the house sells and they get paid then you get paid?

Did you pay your supply bills for the job, if not then I would put the PO under the Job name/Builder

Outdoor Creations
12-06-2008, 09:56 AM
The original builder hires a company to build, that builder hired me. For me to get paid the second builder had to of submitted the bill to the 1st and when the second got paid I get paid. It is a mess! I have worked for these guys for almost 5 years and have had good luck with getting paid for smaller jobs, so I figured there would be no issues. It is hard for me to believe that I have to feel guilty about asking for my money, like I am begging.

Tyler7692
12-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Hell with that. You're not begging, you did the work now its time to pay up!

Woody82986
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd just let the guy know that he has 5 days to pay you or this time next week you will be on site reversing all the work you did and taking the materials back to your supplier to get your money back. Then ask him how he's going to explain that to the guy he works for...

kootoomootoo
12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
file an intent to lien on the property ....today.
Unless too many days passed. Your guy probably played on you not knowing that.

DanaMac
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd just let the guy know that he has 5 days to pay you or this time next week you will be on site reversing all the work you did and taking the materials back to your supplier to get your money back. Then ask him how he's going to explain that to the guy he works for...

Taking the materials out can actually get you arrested or charges filed against you. Do it legally or you'll end up paying even more.

HOOLIE
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I think you just need to be a little forceful, and make yourself a pain in the ass with this builder. Since there was no contract.... there also was nothing in writing saying you have to wait for all these people to get paid first before you get paid. That's their problem.

A fun thing is to get their fax # and constantly fax notes saying "WHERE'S MY MONEY???" every 5-10 minutes all day. They'll start to think you somewhere nearby spying on them...:laugh:

Outdoor Creations
12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
How do I go about doing that?