PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mail: Printer Made Mistake, what do you think is fair?

Flow Control
12-05-2008, 05:49 PM
In a nut shell. I spent a lot of money on direct mail this year with a company that I have done business with for a number of years.

I did a large mailer this fall broken down into 3 sections, the printer printed the wrong mailer on one of the sections and I let them know asap after I picked up the first bunch for drop off. At that time they told me to go ahead a drop off at the scheduled time the next day since they did not have enough time to reprint. They did reprint the other two sections of the project. The misprint received 1/10th the response as the other two sections that they reprinted. I had to prepay postage.

What do you think is fair to both parties. I am not looking to stick anyone I am just looking to do what is right. Since I prepaid postage, per their requirements. I got billed the printing cost (they billed for everything including the misprints) I sent in payment minus my cost on postage and printing costs associated with the misprints. Am I wrong? I talked to the lady that handled my project and she apologized but the owner called back and I am sure he is going to argue my payment.

Green Pastures
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Talk personally to the owner of the printing company.

I'm positive you two can settle this like men.

All you'll get here are opinions that do not matter in your world.

Turfdoctor1
12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
You are very much in the right.

if it was not an editing error, simply a printing error, they should stand behind their product. I think you did the right thing, and I would bet you would win in court.

Tadams
12-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Did I understand correctly that you went ahead and mailed them out with the wrong info on them? If you did, they may have you over a barrel there. Did you get a proof before any work was done?

Flow Control
12-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Did I understand correctly that you went ahead and mailed them out with the wrong info on them? If you did, they may have you over a barrel there. Did you get a proof before any work was done?

I mailed them per the printers instructions since they had a scheduled drop off date and time (2hr window). The printer told me if the drop off was missed the postage was wasted anyway. No proof was submitted or approved. I had another mailing 10 days prior without a problem. Keep in mind that I have been dealing with them for 5 years. I have spent almost $43,000 with this company from October 1st 2007 - Oct 8th 2008. I am not new to direct mail and how it works, they just made a major mistake this time.

Tadams
12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I mailed them per the printers instructions since they had a scheduled drop off date and time (2hr window). The printer told me if the drop off was missed the postage was wasted anyway. No proof was submitted or approved. I had another mailing 10 days prior without a problem. Keep in mind that I have been dealing with them for 5 years. I have spent almost $43,000 with this company from October 1st 2007 - Oct 8th 2008. I am not new to direct mail and how it works, they just made a major mistake this time.

If that's the case then they should take care of the charges 100%.

DLAWNS
12-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I think that with the kind of money that you spent with them and with hard economic times, I would think that they would do everything possible to fix this problem and rightfully so.

brandtb1
12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
They should eat the charge for that mailing, or offer you a replacement for free. If it is very expensive, they should have insurance that covers their mistakes. The amount of business that you do with them, they should take care of it for you.

capnsac
12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
how did this end up?

zimmatic
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
If you had "proofs" designed and signed off on, then its there fault. If you have a good relationship with them, offer them an olive branch of which they credit you back for 70% of the charges, since they did incure some cost for production. However, if the company decideds not to play nice, take the business elsewhere and let them know why you are leaving. Nothing is worse than losing a client and not knowing exactly why, I always ask and then learn from that.

JDUtah
12-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Talk personally to the owner of the printing company.

I'm positive you two can settle this like men.

All you'll get here are opinions that do not matter in your world.

I gotta agree with this one. I have a couple opinions, but they are irrelevant, what matters is what is said between you and the printer... if the owner is an... then post their company name all over this board. But again, irrelevant opinion.

Tim03
01-04-2009, 10:53 PM

How did this get resolved? WIth that amount of moeny spent in a 12 month period you concerns should have been addressed long before you felt the need to post about it here.