PDA

View Full Version : Best place to find worn skid steer tires?

tallrick
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
This may seem ridiculous, but I am looking for old skid steer tires that have worn down smooth but are not dry rotted. They are used on my 843 bobcat on the 15 x 15.5 rims that i use while working on grass to avoid damage. My old tires are just too dry rotted to use anymore, and they are coming apart as well as losing air. If I get a new set they are so aggressive that I leave tracks everywhere. Tire places throw them out and I have found them in the dump from time to time. Is there anyone out there with any more ideas where to look.

Duramax8832
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Try your local dealer. My Bobcat dealer has a pile of them out back.

DBFlawn
12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
This may seem ridiculous, but I am looking for old skid steer tires that have worn down smooth but are not dry rotted. They are used on my 843 bobcat on the 15 x 15.5 rims that i use while working on grass to avoid damage. My old tires are just too dry rotted to use anymore, and they are coming apart as well as losing air. If I get a new set they are so aggressive that I leave tracks everywhere. Tire places throw them out and I have found them in the dump from time to time. Is there anyone out there with any more ideas where to look.

Buy them from us lol:waving:

tallrick
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Try your local dealer. My Bobcat dealer has a pile of them out back.

Actually that's one of the first places I looked. But maybe up in Broward or Palm Beach would be a better idea because they use the super float tires more as they are sandy counties. The bobcat service I got these from a couple years ago has moved north so that source is gone.

minimax
12-05-2008, 11:11 PM
What about used aircraft tires? they are petty tough and have no tread.:confused:

minimax

tnmtn
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
there is a guy from another forum that uses truck tires on his skid for floatation. they may work the same as a turf tire. he claims they work well and don't wear to bad.
good luck

tallrick
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
What about used aircraft tires? they are petty tough and have no tread.:confused:

minimax

I have seen them on a bobcat 743 used for sod, but never tried any. It is definately something else to consider.

2109 Stang
12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey tallrick: give Central tire a ring ph# 305-592 7564 I've seen lots of used skid steer tires there while getting tires for my trucks .

tallrick
12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey tallrick: give Central tire a ring ph# 305-592 7564 I've seen lots of used skid steer tires there while getting tires for my trucks .

I am going to make a trip to the northwest and see what I can find, that's a great idea. In the past I have tried turf and truck tires but they have a hard sidewall and square edge so they tend to dig in while making a tight turn. The wider ones work best and the worn super floats have a rounded edge and make the best turf tires. Even if they scuff the surface the roots stay intact and it grows back in a couple weeks.

Gravel Rat
12-06-2008, 04:29 AM
What about phoning your local Bandag retreader and see if they can get you a set of recapped skid tires with a scrap yard smooth cap. They make sure the casings are good and recap them. They can make the edges round so they don't dig in and will be smooth as a babies azz.

tallrick
01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I am still having no luck finding any. I bet when I don't care anymore I will crash into a pile of them.

stuvecorp
01-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I am still having no luck finding any. I bet when I don't care anymore I will crash into a pile of them.

I got a used set and two of the tires are pretty bald, have been trying to find some with tread on them.

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
what companies around you run a lot of skid loaders? Call them

i know we save all our good truck tires to get re-capped but for equipment we usually take them to the dump....hell call the dump too

stuvecorp
01-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Here is the two that are bad and then all of them. Can someone explain why there is 15" and 16.5" wheels with these?

tallrick
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
The wide rims come in both 15 and 16.5 inch diameters. The tires commonly used around here are on the 15 inch rims which are the size I have. I would love to have those "bad" ones pictured above. My old bald ones were perfect but they just got too worn and dry rotted. The 12 inch wide tires on my machine now just do too much damage to the lawn.

stuvecorp
01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
If I can find some better ones to replace the worn two I'd send'em down to you.

tallrick
01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
what companies around you run a lot of skid loaders? Call them

i know we save all our good truck tires to get re-capped but for equipment we usually take them to the dump....hell call the dump too

Most companies here seem to think I am crazy. I did let a few tire places know what I am looking for, but time will tell if any leads pan out. Funny you mention the dump, they have a tire dumpster that I often look in. One of my old tires did come from the dump. My rims were actually free from a warehouse cleanout. 3 of them are the 8 ply and one is a 10 ply. I prefer the 8 ply because they are easier to mount. They also seem to be able to run at a lower pressure without coming loose.

Gravel Rat
01-05-2009, 12:22 AM
You don't see skid tires use a Ag tread the machine must push good when those tires were new. Probably jump a litte more and wear a little quicker.

minimax
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is a link to a place that sells used aircraft and recapped airplane tires.
I know they are not free but I think this place might be able to hook you up.
http://www.tobysexton.com/airhome.htmThis is a tire dealer.
minimax

tallrick
01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Those aircraft slicks look good. The only bad thing about aircraft tires is how heavy duty they are. I did run a bobcat 743 years back moving potted plants around and while the tires are smooth they have very little give and will slip more in the sand than my old tires. Generally I switch to regular 12-16.5 tires for dirt and working on hard surfaces or those with harsh conditions. The bald 8-ply tires are what I use around the house and when I am moving stuff in someone's yard, never for pushing. The traction seems better with fewer plys and the ride is smoother.

When new the ag style tires give good traction, but if you spin you dig down fast and high center. I prefer worn tires in the sand because if you spin they take longer to dig in.

Construct'O
01-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Might check some of the Ag dealers ,here on grain wagon they use ribbed smooth treaded tires:usflag:

tallrick
04-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Got to see a tire service guy while I was going to the bank. He replaced 4 bobcat tires with new turf tires. Unfortunately nobody on the job site spoke English. Despite my best efforts, I was not able to communicate my wish for worn 16 inch wide tires. The ones replaced were only 12 inches wide, but I was hoping that someone could find me the wider ones. Oh well, what else should I expect in Miami!

stuvecorp
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
I've been asking around for some but not doing too good. The ones I am finding are the 16".

2109 Stang
04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
tallrick: if you ever do need translation English Spanish give me a ring 797-1666 I do it every time by phone for my non Spanish speaking friends so I'll be more than happy to do it for you too . Eddy

tallrick
04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
tallrick: if you ever do need translation English Spanish give me a ring 797-1666 I do it every time by phone for my non Spanish speaking friends so I'll be more than happy to do it for you too . Eddy

Appreciate the offer! I will return the favor if I can.