PDA

View Full Version : Advertising next year

sven1277
12-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I am having a hard time deciding on what to do with my yellow pages ad for next year. Currently, I have a dollar bill sized ad under landscaping and an 1/8 page ad under excavating contractors. I pay around $8k per year. It does pay for itself every year. I have already picked up several hoa's for next year and will need to hire at least one more employee. I don't know if I should reduce my ad size significantly for a year because of the recession, or keep it the same hoping other companies will reduce their ad thereby increasing my exposure. My business will increase next year already so how should I gamble?

billslawn89
12-05-2008, 06:57 PM
if you got income to support the ads, then stick with it, otherwise i would try to reduce the larger size add to reduce the cost.

Dunlaps LawnCare
12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
keep what ya got if you got the funds

B & B Yardscape
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Keep what you got if it brings in the work.

I have a similar situation. I have aquired a job that will last 3 years. I don't need any increase in business. (still will take it) Do I drop the yellow pages add and come back in three years? Save that $3,500 per year? Probably not.

CNYScapes
12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
nows your opportunity to put the screws to the yellow page salesman. tell him / her that you want to reduce costs and see what they will do for you. i have seen them give the same size ad for less money when threatened to lose the whole ad. You got nothing to lose.

fool32696
12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Don't ease up. Push for growth all of the time. Ignore the media. If the ad pays for itself, keep it (seems simple enough?).

Landis Scaping
12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Make them biger if they are working it sound like a good problem to have in a recession

ford550
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Our Verizon and Yellow book advertising ($14k/yr) does nothing. All of our work comes from word of mouth, direct mail, trucks, etc. We have been tracking this very closely for 4 years and we are finally going to pull out and divert those funds to the advertising that works for us. With that being said, if it works for you, DON"T stop. It just doesn't work for us.

DLAWNS
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
If it's been working for ya, I say stick with it.

group501
12-14-2008, 10:23 AM
We try to track all of our marketing efforts. Over the past years we had blanketed our territories with our marketing while at the same time maintaining a presence in the phone book. Every year it seemed as though a very high volume of our sales was through the phone book. This past year we decided to approach our marketing a bit different. We selected our top neighborhoods in terms of our market share of that area. We then sent mailings to specific demographics within that area, making sure that we hit that prospect with 3 impressions. As it turns out most people still stated that they found us in the phone book when we asked them how they were referred to us. Interestingly enough all of our sales and leads had come from the areas that we sent our mailings to and the leads generated during that week usually were from the neighborhoods that had mail drops that hit during the preceding week-end.

As a side note, we have steadily increased the size of our phone book ad (currently 1/4 page) and have really not seen a significant increase in the response. I am still not sure exactly what value the phone book adds to my business from a marketing perspective but I am hesitant to pull the plug. I may however decrease the size of my ad and re invest that money into additional marketing to see how that works.