PDA

View Full Version : Milgranite

imowall
12-06-2008, 02:16 PM
When is the best time of year to apply milgranite ??
thanks
bill

PerfectEarth
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Around here, we really only use Milorganite for coming out of winter- for a little green up... but you can put it down anytime really- it's quite safe. Read the label. It's also superb for application before sodding.

foreplease
12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
When soil temperature exceeds 70 degrees.

phasthound
12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
If you are interested in a biosolid product that has the benefits of the growth hormone auxin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin
Nutrients Plus Aux-N-ite is a great choice. It can be applied at any time, but best results are seen when used in the summer.

We ship nationwide. Contact me for pricing. Minimum order is one pallet.

dishboy
12-07-2008, 09:04 AM
If you are interested in a biosolid product that has the benefits of the growth hormone auxin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin
Nutrients Plus Aux-N-ite is a great choice. It can be applied at any time, but best results are seen when used in the summer.

We ship nationwide. Contact me for pricing. Minimum order is one pallet.

Or one could use Alfalfa which contains Triacontanol, a plant growth stimulant. has good P & K as well as iron, and is cheap which is the part I like and you can buy at the corner feed store.

Smallaxe
12-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I have been using it for a couple of years now and still experimenting for best results. The thing to remember is that it is a slowrelease and takes longer to get into the soil as a water soluable form. This is because of the availablity of microbial activity.

I time Milorganite 1st application about 4 weeks prior to Memorial weekend so it 'should' be taken up by then and the grass is getting a fresh supply of N. Then the same again in June to be ready for the 4th of July.

Obviously, warm soils, good air and moisture in the soils, are going to break down the Milorganite quicker than cool, compacted, wet or dry soil will. Phasthound, put out a website with a bit of discussion and a couple of charts on a different thread, recently, that could be useful.

Barefoot James
12-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I can speak for KY - based on research done at University of Kentucky.
16.6 pounds per 1000 in fall and then 16.6 pounds more per 1000 6 weeks later - we use lousiville green (5% N so 20 pounds per 1000). I would think pretty much 80% of anyplace that has freeze in the winter this would be a good guide. It is always best to feed in fall/winter as to not stress plant out and have it ready to grow in Spring. Roots do most of their growing and maturing in the winter - getting ready for spring (storing N and nutrients Mac/Mic). I would think early spring might be a second best time (green up) and since this stuff is 100% organic (and very slow release - spray some tea to really unlock potential) it can't really do to much damage if you apply anytime of year - except for the heat of summer - this would not help already stressed out grass. As I recall it has a 6 N count of water soluble N. But it does stink!

lawnsbytim
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I have a couple lawns that I use Milorganite to help keep the deer away. Four applications, starting late April. The iron gives a real nice color and the slow release of nitrogen will keep it green. Its all the beer and brats in Milwaukee.

Barefoot James
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Probably why it is 6 N instead of 5 :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

foreplease
12-07-2008, 10:51 PM
From the milorganite.com FAQs:
When can Milorganite be applied?
"Milorganite can be applied any time during the growing season and it is suitable for your climate and growing conditions. It can be applied at any time of day."

However this does not answer the original question - that of when it should be applied.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-11-2008, 12:14 AM
do it now- go get it done-- hurry up

PSUTURFGEEK
12-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I got some milgranite last year and used it on my countertops, it looks awesome.

foreplease
12-18-2008, 12:15 AM
:laugh: Must be the proximity to the mountains. All we have in Michigan are Flint and Petoskey.