PDA

View Full Version : I need a website

Chris B.
12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I need a website. A few of you guys really seem to know what your talking about, so how much for a site. I just need a simple site with a few pictures.

Pm me with info.

Lawn-Scapes
12-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Define simple? Will simple do what you need it to do?

Chris B.
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Just a couple of pages, some general info, and some pictures.

pullingrass
12-10-2008, 07:52 PM
check out homestead.com.... thats what i use... plenty of templetes. I designed mine with a blank page so thats an option as well...

www.thedetailededge.com

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-10-2008, 10:35 PM
check out homestead.com.... thats what i use... plenty of templetes. I designed mine with a blank page so thats an option as well...

www.thedetailededge.com

What does your client login do for you? How did you set that up?

DLAWNS
12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't know much about them and my friend built mine, but I know that I use Host Department. I 'm not sure if this helps, but hopefully it does.

Kiril
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
No real need for client authentication unless you are providing specific private information for each client (like bills) and/or are allowing them to pay their bill online (i.e. you are a merchant) and you want to store account info (not a good idea and very expensive). For simple sites, there is no need to "customize" the users experience (i.e. like this site), so storing user preferences is not needed.

Here are two links I pulled in response to a PM question similar to yours.

Websites In A Box:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.p...388&Itemid=143

Free HTML Templates:

http://www.oswd.org/

The above 2 links are good places to start. The CMS is a more robust option, but is most likely overkill for what most landscape web sites would need. The other link is just HTML templates that you can use as a base template for a site, which you can then adjust to your liking. Either option is a viable choice, but your cheapest option would probably be to just find a free template you like and modify it to fit your needs.

pullingrass
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm currently getting the client logon set up right now... I'll have pages for the customer such as billing info and design progress updates.

Mike

www.TheDetailedEdge.com

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm currently getting the client logon set up right now... I'll have pages for the customer such as billing info and design progress updates.

Mike

www.TheDetailedEdge.com

That seems like a lot of work, unless you have some sort of software that will upload all your invoices and such to your client log in?

pullingrass
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I could see it being alot of work for a lawn maintenance company where they'll have 150 customers to send bills to at the end of the month.... on average I'm loading about 2 times a day only taking about 30-45 sec. All of my work is strickly designs.

Mike

www.Thedetailededge.com

mowranger
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
www.bluemonkey.com
email Dewayne and tell him kind of what you want!
dewaynecb@bluemonkey.com

castle555
12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Yahoo.com offers Website hosting for a small monthly fee and has a really great site-builder program that you can download and use to create your own site.
It does require some savy with the use of programs and links.
Although there are many help-related tools for the user.
Most ofd the site-builder tools are drag and drop once you select a background page. And you can type in anything you want for text.
My website is www.reflectionlandscapes.com. I spent a great deal of time on it and it took alo of work to develop it to the degree it is now.
However, I still want to redo it and maybe simplify it more to less pages.

Other Websites offer homepages and business Websites -try VistaPrint.com they have a package deal for many helpful items.

Kiril
12-23-2008, 10:31 AM
However, I still want to redo it and maybe simplify it more to less pages.

You should redo it. Check the image, and it gets worse as you go down the page.

JDUtah
12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
You should redo it. Check the image, and it gets worse as you go down the page.

OS and Browser info??

Kiril
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
OS and Browser info??

Touche ....

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121621 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.5

castle555
12-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes, thank you for the feedback! That definitely is discombobulated
to your viewer. Almost 99% of the screens I've checked it on display the page without overlaps, and in better color thatn mine, once in awhile, a small glitch in the table boxes and text overlapping occurs. Although it is fairly wide for most screens display, I tried not to make it too large.
I use an IBM PC with a samsung Syncmaster 915x monitor, and also get pretty good results when checking either I.E. or Firefox on various laptops.
I'm one guy, no Webmaster, almost flying blind in the rain, and will eventually get it right, thanks again!

JDUtah
12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Touche ....

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121621 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.5

If i read that right you run Linux and mac os? Which one you like better?

Kiril
12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
If i read that right you run Linux and mac os? Which one you like better?

Only half right.

JDUtah
12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Only half right.

I see. Thanks :)

Green Team Landscaping
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Is there any way to get a free one that can say whatever you want to to(Ex. www.greenteamlandscaping.com)? I use Google, and it works, but I would prefer it to be like the one above.

Kiril
12-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Is there any way to get a free one that can say whatever you want to to(Ex. www.greenteamlandscaping.com)? I use Google, and it works, but I would prefer it to be like the one above.

Huh??????????

JDUtah
12-24-2008, 05:34 PM

the xxxxx.com is called a domain name... you have to buy them... about 10 bucks a year... the hosting (I assume you are using a free google hosting servce? Maybe?) can be free, but I would suggest paying...

PM Webman with your questions

If you have a good website... ROI is extremely high, cutting corners is not the way to get a good website...

ANC Stone Creations
12-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Just go to www.webs.com for a free website and hosting.

Easy to build with no experience.

Check out our site at www.ancstonecreations.webs.com

JDUtah
12-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Just go to www.webs.com for a free website and hosting.

Easy to build with no experience.

Check out our site at www.ancstonecreations.webs.com

he wants to get away from the xxxxxxx.webs.com

He already has that with xxxxxx.googlepages.com

Buying a domain name is his first step....

Green Team Landscaping
12-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Thank you! The other bad thing is there's no www in front of the domain name, so neglegent customers(yes they're out there) may assume it's there when it really isn't.

Team-Green L&L
02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Thank you! The other bad thing is there's no www in front of the domain name, so neglegent customers(yes they're out there) may assume it's there when it really isn't.

www is the prefix for "world-wide-web" and no domain name will have that in front. Again, it is merely a prefix. If you need more info about domain names and domaining you can take a look at some of my signature links. It is a big virtual real-estate market out there and there are many different variables to consider BEFORE buying your domain name, so I urge you to read up first.

It took me WAY too long to get good search results from my domain TeamGreenLL.com, but after I learned about Domaining, I spend a tenth of time promoting my sites and get twice the results.

EliteScapes
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
If you want High End Design at a good price...

James O Savino
james@savinodesignstudio.com

Be sure to tell him I sent you, you will not go wrong with him...
Rich from Elite.

Check my site out..

WWW.ELITESCAPESNJ.COM

Team-Green L&L
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
If you want High End Design at a good price...

James O Savino
james@savinodesignstudio.com

Be sure to tell him I sent you, you will not go wrong with him...
Rich from Elite.

Check my site out..

WWW.ELITESCAPESNJ.COM

OUCH! Your site is flash! I can speak from experience that, while flash is pretty and neat to play with, it is still a movie and no search engine can watch movies. You will never get good listings with a flash site unless you fork out loads of cash on off-site optimization.