PDA

View Full Version : 20w Unique Stellars

cgaengineer
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe a stupid question but better safe then sorry.

The literature suggests a max wattage lamp of 20w. Do you think the fixture can handle a 50w T3? I understand this is over twice the wattage of the specs. My concern is that this lamp may get so hot it would melt the lamp base since this lamp is contained inside the fixture. I need just a little more light to illuminate a wreath and a 30w lamp would do it but they do not make a T3 in that wattage.

The Lighting Geek
12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
If you use a higher wattage bulb than it is UL listed for, you assume responsibility if it goes badly. I am very familiar with the Stellar and would not recommend using anything more than a 20w. How about the Starburst? it is rated for 35w MR16 or T-4(?) and you can use a different spread patterns.

cgaengineer
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Tommy. Going to look at the Starburst.

Pro-Scapes
12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Stellar is a GREAT little fixture. Just a tad small to be rated for 35w. Tommy is spot on with the starburst as a step up. If the stellar is already part of an existing system I would try to add a temp fixture. I have about 50 lights out there being rented from me for holiday pourposes. Sometimes when I build a system I leave a pig tail for just this reason if they agree

cgaengineer
12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Billy, I have relocated the wreath but I am still considering the Starburst...I need them anyway for my application as the Stellars are really too dim.

Eden Lights
12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
20w irc?????????????????????

Mike M
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Just to throw this out there, I put a simple 20 watt MR-16 spot on the wreath on my door (honey, when you go outside tonight, don't look down) and it looks awesome.

Pro-Scapes
12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
This is common for the holidays. You see people putting line voltage floods on thier porches and in front of thier houses all over the place.

I have more than a couple out there for temp holiday installs. Its a love hate thing. Nice to acent the wreaths but man that glare is a killer.

David Gretzmier
12-07-2008, 10:26 PM
All our wreaths are pre-lit. that way they look great during the day and lit at night. One of my Christmas light clients likes to unplg his wreath and put a spotlight on his house. it does make the wreath look better at night, but makes his Christmas light look dim.

Mike M
12-08-2008, 07:46 AM
The ultimate is to find a balance between the lv accents and the color from the holiday string lights, I did that half-arsed and inadvertently came in third for a contest last year in my development.

Dave, you should put us up for a weekend and teach us your trade secrets. I know Paul went to a seminar put on by one of the manu's, that seems like time well invested. One of them has a book that's supposed to show how to run the green and white wires as custom made extension cords, etc.

Instead of paying a lot to market the service, just hitch it to an lv postcard. Now that's an idea that won't cost a lot to venture into. Inform pre-existing accounts.

The only reason I dragged my feet about this last year is I thought I'd be too busy and focused with lv lighting in the fall. Also, I was getting vertigo at roof line, but I've gotten really good at 20 - 22 feet in the trees. You guys are all nuts with your 40' extension ladders.

Lite4
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I love that little stellar fixture!! Funny thing, it even feels good in the hand just carrying from the truck over to where you are going to install it. Good heft to size ratio.