PDA

View Full Version : Postcards!!!

born2farm
12-07-2008, 06:34 PM
For the 2009 season I am planning on sending out 5,000 or so post cards with a 1% expected return. Does anyone have a picture or sample of postcards you have used. I will be advertising season service of Landscape Install/Maintenance, Lawn Maintenance, Debris Cleanup and Snow Plowing. If you have any examples please share.

Another question. Do you guys use your logos on your postcards or just the name?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I did over sized last year. Response rate was less then .5%. I made money off of them but not what I thought I would have.

mowranger
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
thats like 25

born2farm
12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
thats a very nice flyer. i am not expecting high returns but 20 more accounts would fill be i fnot over book me.

thanks

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
This year I'm going with door hangers w/ an estimate on it. Half the cost and twice as many.

mowranger
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
You can get a few people to walk door to door in a platted sub that are less then 12000 ft lots one person can put out about 180 per hour!

Josh.S
12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I did over sized last year. Response rate was less then .5%. I made money off of them but not what I thought I would have.

When was your close rate? How many actual weekly customers did this yield for X amount of postcard?

Thanks

- Josh

born2farm
12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Well I would like to do door hangers but I would have to get a soliciting license which is like $180 for one week and that is one more expense on top of the hangers them selves. Plus I want to be able to send out more then once in a year.

IN2MOWN
12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Well I would like to do door hangers but I would have to get a soliciting license which is like $180 for one week and that is one more expense on top of the hangers them selves. Plus I want to be able to send out more then once in a year.

Are you sure you need a soliciting license? You are not actually talking to the person...

group501
12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Are you sure you need a soliciting license? You are not actually talking to the person...

Every community has it's own laws governing what is considered soliciting and if you need a permit. Depending on the community a violation could range from a police warning to actually having to post bail. As a bit of advice I would suggest that you call the local police where you plan to do the door hangers and make sure that there are no laws that you need to be aware of. Also, the day that you or your employees are distributing the door hangers I would advise calling the PD and letting them know what area you will be working in. Depending on your neighborhoods once you start your distribution people start calling the police to report suspicious persons in the area.

IN2MOWN
12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Every community has it's own laws governing what is considered soliciting and if you need a permit. Depending on the community a violation could range from a police warning to actually having to post bail. As a bit of advice I would suggest that you call the local police where you plan to do the door hangers and make sure that there are no laws that you need to be aware of. Also, the day that you or your employees are distributing the door hangers I would advise calling the PD and letting them know what area you will be working in. Depending on your neighborhoods once you start your distribution people start calling the police to report suspicious persons in the area.

I know all areas are different. I dont need one here and Im surprised anyone would since you are not knocking on the door and disturbing anyone.

When you "solicit" you actually approach a person and speak to them.

born2farm
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM

You need the license unless your company is based within the city limits of the city in which your advertising. This year it was all fine and dandy because we lived in town and my business was based out of my moms house. Now that were building a new house in the country my business is no longer based in the city limits. Another thing I see bad about the idea is that so many people dont use the front door ever and I see hangers on there doors for 3-4 months at a time.

yard_smart
12-09-2008, 12:07 AM
I would stick with direct mail . . . It's hard to sell professionalism when you are going door to do ya know

willretire@40
12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=211836&page=3