PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

Dirtman2007
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I've seen this happen twice this wek so far. Kids busting out the windows of construction equipment. I saw a nice cat 140H motor grader the other day that had been destroyed by rocks. Every window was just obliterated. My buddy parked his tractor in a field overnight after cutting hay right down the street from my house and someone busted all the windows out of it. All these are in populated area with houses and cars around. Nobody throws rocks at house windows or cars that are mere feet away. But they always manage to get the equipment as soon as it arrives. I've had the same thing happen to me, real populated area where you think things would be safe and it gets hit. Leave it out in the middle of nowhere and you loose sleep over whether somebodies going to screw with it at night. Just really makes you mad when you see it. God hope I never catch them:gunsfirin

Junior M
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I hate when people even mess with equipment setting on a job, because I know I hate it when I come back the next morning and your sun glasses are missing or your favorite hat, and your seat is all out of adjustment and your cup full of sunflower seeds is on the floor. I was out with some buddies and we were out running around in woods and we came upon some equipment, well everybody started messing with the stuff. I didnt do a freaking thing. I got in a JD dozer and a Cat 320, and didnt touch a thing, all my buddies were messing with everything climbing around all over the equipment..

NateV
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Thats something iv never understood either. My old man was talking to the owner of a company doing a new development near us and he said last winter kids broke 17 windows in the machines. They have about 10-15 pieces of equipment there. I guess all you can do is just have insurance and dont worry about it. Something happens just get a new one.

4.3mudder
12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
All our farmers round here put everything away at night. Dam kids, they got nothin better to do. Maybe yall need to sleep the night in the cab, with a hard hat and when something happens, jump out then.... well, whatever you want to do. LOL

Dirtman2007
12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
That's the main reason why I lock all my equipment up at the end of the day. I just don't want stranger screwing with my stuff. That's my little space... leave it alone!

I left the volvo unlocked one night and somebody stole my cleaning supplies and left the door open, I guess they could not figure out how to close it.

Junior M
12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Most of the equipment around here is used by a clearing crew, and they can abuse some equipment! so the windows were all broken out. In fact I just stepped through the front window on the 320 CAT..

Thats what sucks about an OROPS machine, people screwing with your seat settings and taking your hammer and stuff left under the seat. Its freaking stupid. Its like people dont realize the some people actually depend on that "tractor" as people call it to make a living and its there little space for 8 to 10 hours a day, maybe even more..

About the sitting in the cab and waiting. I know a guy in Ohio that left his log skidder some place near a subdivision and he came back the next day and found all the windows broke out, the radio's (regular radio and cb) ripped out, seat cut and ripped all to hell.. Well, he pulled that skidder off of the job, brought another one in and sat in it for the night with a shot gun. Well, somebody climbed up to open up the door and when the opened it there was a shot gun in there face, he said they fell backwards off the machine and 3 or 4 of them went running away.. :laugh: :laugh: I woulda loved to have seen that!

CAT powered
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
The worst is when you get there in the morning to find somebody loading your machine onto a lowbed! I had bought a brand new dozer in the late 80s that I paid for 100% when I signed all the paperwork at the dealership. I had it on a job doing the sitework for a new Lowes store and I got there one morning to find a guy loading it onto a lowbed and getting ready to haul it off. We exchange a few choice words and he has it off the trailer faster and with more apologies than I could ever imagine.

The guy was a repossession agent who was supposed to recover a dozer identical to mine. However the one he was looking for was 2 or so miles down the road. You'd have thought he would check the S/N. :hammerhead:

Getting windows broken out at night really sucks, but I was grading a baseball field out with the above mentioned dozer and as I was doing final grading the front window shattered. I ended up getting the police there since I heard a rifle go off. Police crawled all over the machine looking for the round, but they never found it. Turns out a kid on the hill across from the field was having target practice with his new rifle and he was using haybales as a target.

4.3mudder
12-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Turns out a kid on the hill across from the field was having target practice with his new rifle and he was using haybales as a target.

Or maybe he was using dozers and didn't say anything.:laugh:

CAT powered
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't quite get what you're trying to say. I was running the dozer when the window shattered. That's why I got the cops there.

Bleed Green
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
guess they know that there is a better chance of them getting caught breaking windows in houses and cars because people are more likely to catch them, the operators are not on the job and probably live and are far away. It sounds like they are really cool when they tell buddies about tearing other peoples stuff up, but they don't have to pay for it so they don't care. If they would get caught once they would not be so cool anymore. Like the shot gun story LOL!

4.3mudder
12-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't quite get what you're trying to say. I was running the dozer when the window shattered. That's why I got the cops there.

I know you were running it, but you said that he was using haybales for target practuce and I said that he was using dozers instead. Sorry, I guess is just shattered because of something else and not the kid? Well, I was just trying to be funny somewhat, guess it didn't work.:confused:

CAT powered
12-07-2008, 11:50 PM
No it's just that I didn't understand what you were trying to say. It was just failure to understand on my part. He claimed to be using the haybales. I don't entirely believe that the angle of the shot would be possible from where the kid was.

4.3mudder
12-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I understand things happen.

westcoh
12-08-2008, 02:10 AM
If you wanna talk about stupid, this summer not far from my place someone decided it would be fun to steal a roller off a construction site and park it on some near-by train tracks. Caused a train to de-rail and everything. Hard to believe someone would do something so stupid.

Story here: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/07/10/edm-train-derail.html

tallrick
12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I know what you mean, but as a kid it was common to climb up on machines left on the roadside and pretend to operate them. At the age of 16 or so I got to run a Bobcat because somebody left it on the side of the road where they were picking up debris and loading it on to a dump truck. The key was inside so I went for a joy ride. Bored with that I started picking up branches and trash and loading it on the truck. when done I left the Bobcat where it was originally parked. It was surprising that nobody said anything. I never knew anyone to break windows out of machines but around here, all roadside equipment seems to have a broken window or two. Some idiot even threw a rock at my own Bobcat back window, which I replaced with acrylic when I left it in my own front yard!

Junior M
12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I dont get what satisfaction people get from breaking windows and trashing equipment.. Its so stupid. I wish you could slap a bill in these peoples faces and ask them how they would feel if we broke the windows out in there car and then they had to pay as much as we do to fix something on a piece of equipment.

At my summer job we actually attempted to hide our backhoe in the woods because people kept messing with it. We actually found shoe prints on the hood..

4.3mudder
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I guess the satisfaction they get is they know someone is going to be really pissed off when they come back. You know how kids are, I wasn't one of them of course. But I would see them all the time pissing people off, making them mad over things, thats probably what they do it is to make someone mad.

Junior M
12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I like to piss people off, especially teachers and other kids that are really immature, but I dont like doing it enough to break windows and do stupid stuff like that..

I think doing stuff like that is just a sign of immaturity that want to be "cool" whatever that is suppose to mean...

Bleed Green
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
For some reason if a kid can tear up something that is not his they feel all big and bad. What really shows is when they get caught and are not so big and bad anymore, because they all the sudden turn into cowards