PDA

View Full Version : Not Good!

coopers
12-08-2008, 08:02 AM
WADOT had this 544j loader slip and roll down a very steep hillside. This is the same site where the slide occurred on SR 11. I showed pictures of this back towards November. Operator was fine.

The boulder is unrelated, different Highway but same county. They had to blast it with dynamite before moving it off the road.

coopers
12-08-2008, 08:04 AM
....the boulder pic.

FYI, the loader had moved over for traffic...I'm sure the operator was being courteous (and following the law) but I would have said screw it and waited to find another place or just have traffic go around when oncoming was free.

jmf
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't think the 544 can lift that rock, and rolling it will make a mess.

jmf

bobcat_ron
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Silly loader operators, they think they are gods way up high like that.
Our local highway maintenance contractor (EAM) roller their loader on a side slop while moving some barricades over, dumb ass, it laid right over as soon as the loader lifted up.

Dirt Digger2
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
man....he should have just stopped and waited for traffic to pass...

that bank is too steep and muddy to get near in any vehicle...i am suprised there isn't a guard rail there

Scag48
12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh man, that's good times. Machine should be fine it looks like, maybe some new glass, hopefully there was no engine damage. Other than that, should be able to put it right back in service after a few repairs.

KCfireman
12-08-2008, 04:11 PM
that's awsome.

coopers
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't think the 544 can lift that rock, and rolling it will make a mess.

jmf

They weren't trying to roll that rock. That pic is from another highway about 2 hours east of where the loader pics are from. They blasted that rock and then cleaned it up.

Green Team Landscaping
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Pics like that first one are so cool. The recoveries are even cooler. Especially with powerlines overhead! Did the machine start up when they flipped it back? It looked fine, other than sitting upside down for a while...

4.3mudder
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I think the engine had to be thouroughly cleaned, all that oil that sits in the pan probably filled the cylinders, well, I guess you could just air the tire up and go...

Junior M
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
So how did he roll it down the bank exactly? Just going to fast?

NateV
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Looks too me like he was tryin to make a 2 lane road into a 3 lane, and when he was on the slope, since its muddy he slid down the hill and over he went.

YellowDogSVC
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
lucky to be alive..

Dirt Digger2
12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
So how did he roll it down the bank exactly? Just going to fast?

very easily...the slope was greater then the center of gravity could handle

that or he was sliding down sideways and a tire caught a stump....thats why mud and hills never mix well

coopers
12-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Yeah the guy was moving over to let vehicles pass....from the pic it looks like the machine then slipped down the hill and because the slope suddenly drops significantly, I think like Digger said, the center of gravity was obviously overpowered by the angle of the slope.

Not sure if it started up. I would think like another person said, there's probably some wondering fluids to deal with first.

Gravel Rat
12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
The guy is lucky to be alive. I wouldn't have pulled over there that shoulder is way way too small. Once you get in the dirt is just sucks you into the ditch or in this case a nice drop off bank.

The roads where I live are just like that rock bank on one side and a cliff on the other. When I was running backhoe and roading it I pulled over where I felt it was safe. It only takes a split second it happens so fast the tire grabs the dirt and over you go.

If your holding up traffic on a two lane road tough luck the traffic can wait till their is a safe pullout.

crab
12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
i wanted to say it but i just cant!!!,avoiding gr is frigging impossible:hammerhead:

Gravel Rat
12-10-2008, 12:57 AM
When I was roading the backhoe from job to job I pulled over where ever I could but I wasn't going to pull over where the shoulder wouldn't hold the weight of the machine.

There are ditches here with a soft shoulder if you get caught and it pulls you into the ditch with say a P/U truck you can either write your vehical off or do some serious body damage.

The guy with the loader made a mistake it probably happened so fast he was upside down.

Wheel loaders to start with don't road very well.

stuvecorp
12-10-2008, 02:39 AM
When I was roading the backhoe from job to job I pulled over where ever I could but I wasn't going to pull over where the shoulder wouldn't hold the weight of the machine.

There are ditches here with a soft shoulder if you get caught and it pulls you into the ditch with say a P/U truck you can either write your vehical off or do some serious body damage.

The guy with the loader made a mistake it probably happened so fast he was upside down.

Wheel loaders to start with don't road very well.

Glad the loader operator survived that.

I never pulled over when roading, people can go around me but I usually did it on off peak times too lessen the traffic disturbance. People get really confused when they come up on you so I always just held my line.

I didn't think the loaders were that bad to road, the 721 had ride control so it was petal down but the 621 would get a little hot if it was always to the floor. I have gone a little over 20 miles with either and it wasn't bad.

BIGBEN2004
12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
He was lucky an object didn't come though the cab and kill him. All it would have taken would have been a tree branch only about 6" in diameter.

pieperlc
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Where did the rock come from? I assume it rolled down the hill, but I would think a rock that size rolling down a hill like that would do a number on the road. The road doesn't appear to be damaged.

Gravel Rat
12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
It was last year or some time then a hoe operator working in the bush swung the machine and a broken off branch went through the guarding and punch out the bottom window and got the operator right in the leg. They had to use a chainsaw to cut the branch off to get the guys leg free. I can't remember if it broke his leg but I know it ripped his skin off and a trip to the hospital.

We have never had rocks that large come down onto the road but in other places in B.C. like the sea to sky highway where they had hundreds of rocks that a 400 size excavator couldn't evern move.

coopers
12-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Where did the rock come from? I assume it rolled down the hill, but I would think a rock that size rolling down a hill like that would do a number on the road. The road doesn't appear to be damaged.

You know, I'm not too sure how far that came down. But you're right, not too much damage to the rock or road.