PDA

View Full Version : can i collect unemployment

bobcatnj
12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
as being the owner can i collect unemployment in nj?

AI Inc
12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
That depends, do you draw a paycheck as an employee, do you pay into unemployment?
Also depends on your state.
I collect , PHilk says in PA one cannot.

Roger
12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Even if you can because you have paid unemployment insurance, would you really want to do the collection? Your insurance rate next time around may skyrocket because the account has been drawn upon. Some money over the few Winter months may easily be eaten away by increased insurance premiums over the working months.

bobcatnj
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
yes i draw a paycheck. i dont know if i pay for unemployment insurance. i pay for liabilty and work comp for the whole year.

AI Inc
12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
yes i draw a paycheck. i dont know if i pay for unemployment insurance. i pay for liabilty and work comp for the whole year.

You dont know if you pay into unemployment? who does your payroll, you , or a payroll service?

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
UGGHHHHHHHHHH.... I HATE UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!

I pay well over $25,000 a year into the Unemployment fund, so lazy people can sit around and get paid for nothing..... There are jobs out there, go find one if you can't keep yourself busy.

Sorry for my rant, this issue drives me crazy.

mattfromNY
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM

I pay well over $25,000 a year into the Unemployment fund, so lazy people can sit around and get paid for nothing..... There are jobs out there, go find one if you can't keep yourself busy.

Sorry for my rant, this issue drives me crazy.

Well said.... My past employee just went on UE from a different co. that he worked for this past summer. I just got a notice showing how much I paid to contribute to (his) this years' UE!!!!!! Therefore, what I pay for Unemployment Ins. may remain at a higher level until I have paid in enough to cover his @.. !!!:cry:

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Well said.... My past employee just went on UE from a different co. that he worked for this past summer. I just got a notice showing how much I paid to contribute to (his) this years' UE!!!!!! Therefore, what I pay for Unemployment Ins. may remain at a higher level until I have paid in enough to cover his @.. !!!:cry:

Tell me about it. There are hundreds of jobs out there, alot are decent winter jobs too. But these people feel the system owes them money. You get layed off, GO FIND ANOTHER JOB!!! Don't sit around thinking you'll just take 6 months off and collect the free money.

Good old American government. Can't believe they don't see this as an opportunity to save some cash, and get rid of this unfair system.

EARN YOUR MONEY. GET OFFF YOUR LAZY ARSSSS AND DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

punt66
12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Tell me about it. There are hundreds of jobs out there, alot are decent winter jobs too. But these people feel the system owes them money. You get layed off, GO FIND ANOTHER JOB!!! Don't sit around thinking you'll just take 6 months off and collect the free money.

Good old American government. Can't believe they don't see this as an opportunity to save some cash, and get rid of this unfair system.

EARN YOUR MONEY. GET OFFF YOUR LAZY ARSSSS AND DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

So what should all these thousands off layoffs do fight over the same job, not eat and lose their homes? Is it a workers fault they got laid off? You cant collect if you quit. in CT a business owner cannot collect UE.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
So what should all these thousands off layoffs do fight over the same job, not eat and lose their homes? Is it a workers fault they got laid off? You cant collect if you quit. in CT a business owner cannot collect UE.

Have a looksy at Craigslist sometime. I just opened up the Rochester, NY general labor section and there are easily 100+ jobs posted in just the last 3-4 days. Not even counting the 20+ categories or listings older than 3-4days.

Start a business, go to college and get an education in a new field, DO SOMETHING! Sitting around collecting money you didn't earn, isn't doing any of us any favors.

punt66
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Have a looksy at Craigslist sometime. I just opened up the Rochester, NY general labor section and there are easily 100+ jobs posted in just the last 3-4 days. Not even counting the 20+ categories or listings older than 3-4days.

Start a business, go to college and get an education in a new field, DO SOMETHING! Sitting around collecting money you didn't earn, isn't doing any of us any favors.

Construction guys get laid off in the winter for lack of work. Should they all find a different field?

mattfromNY
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
IMO, Unemployment is a good thing if used correctly. Unfortunately, like any govt program, there are too many loopholes and ways to abuse this privelege (Sp?).
I dont like the fact that my UE insurance premium will be affected b/c my PAST employee, that hasn't worked for me since last January, got laid off by his current employer. The only way for me to challenge this would be to offer him work. I already paid his UE when he worked for me and I laid him off last January (my rates went way up). I thought the ties between him and I were cut when he got this new job. Guess I was wrong.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Construction guys get laid off in the winter for lack of work. Should they all find a different field?

They should all be able to find a winter job that supplements their summer employment. Up in this area, there are ski resorts. You can work construction trade during the summer, and work mountain maintenance during the winter. Work as a bartender, home depot salesman, or a walmart greeter; but DO SOMETHING

punt66
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
They should all be able to find a winter job that supplements their summer employment. Up in this area, there are ski resorts. You can work construction trade during the summer, and work mountain maintenance during the winter. Work as a bartender, home depot salesman, or a walmart greeter; but DO SOMETHING

Ok so a brick layer should go to walmart to be a greeter? When i had my construction company and 11 employees i saw unemplyment as insurance to keep my trained workers and not have to replace them in the spring and retrain. I had no problem paying the insurance, for the emplyees made me money. For me it was nice to know my emplyees were getting paid for the holidays and could spend some time with their family. There will always be people that will abuse the privlage. If unemployment were to cease do you really think construction workers would stay construction workers? My father was a pipe fitter for 35 years. He went through many tough times of lack of available work and booming times. If he after lets say 8 years invested in his career/retirement were laid off he should throw that away to be a walmart greeter? People are invested in their lives and unemplyment protects that investment.

lawnman_scott
12-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Sorry for my rant, this issue drives me crazy.So your payroll is around $600,000 per year?

Do you have any pics of the shop yet? I would immagine you have outgrown it by now anyway and built a $5 million 200,000 sq ft shop.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
So your payroll is around $600,000 per year?

Do you have any pics of the shop yet? I would immagine you have outgrown it by now anyway and built a $5 million 200,000 sq ft shop.

We're right around $365,000 in payroll. Our Unemployment rate is 7.15%.
Actually just moved into another shop, and I have posted a few pics on here. Once everything is in, I'll snap some better pics.

I really hoped everyone would have grown up on this site over the past few years. You would think if I was just "trolling" the net I wouldn't still be here.

PROCUT1
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Ahhh welcome back.

I miss the stories.

You must be up to 150 trucks by now?

Maybe 50 mowers?

Couple thousand properties?

punt66
12-08-2008, 04:53 PM
We're right around $365,000 in payroll. Our Unemployment rate is 7.15%.
Actually just moved into another shop, and I have posted a few pics on here. Once everything is in, I'll snap some better pics.

I really hoped everyone would have grown up on this site over the past few years. You would think if I was just "trolling" the net I wouldn't still be here.

Yea the site would defenetly be better with out all the nonsence. As much as i enjoy talking about issues with people like you many others ruin it and make this site a circus. I enjoy a good debate but some ruin it.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok so a brick layer should go to walmart to be a greeter? When i had my construction company and 11 employees i saw unemplyment as insurance to keep my trained workers and not have to replace them in the spring and retrain. I had no problem paying the insurance, for the emplyees made me money. For me it was nice to know my emplyees were getting paid for the holidays and could spend some time with their family. There will always be people that will abuse the privlage. If unemployment were to cease do you really think construction workers would stay construction workers? My father was a pipe fitter for 35 years. He went through many tough times of lack of available work and booming times. If he after lets say 8 years invested in his career/retirement were laid off he should throw that away to be a walmart greeter? People are invested in their lives and unemplyment protects that investment.

You're not getting it.. Work as a brick layer in season. When the season is over, go work at a masonry supply store or at Home Depot/Lowes for the winter, as they are usually looking for more help during this time of year. When spring arrives, back to brick work.

What's the problem with that? My summer help all find winter jobs. I did manage to get some into full-time work at a ski area I worked at. They run chairlifts, make snow, etc during the winter and come back to work for me in the spring.

The saying is "an honest days pay. for an honest days work.". Not "a days pay. for no work".

punt66
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Ahhh welcome back.

I miss the stories.

Maybe 50 mowers?

ohh, i guess you guys have already met. hahaha

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Ahhh welcome back.

I miss the stories.

Maybe 50 mowers?

No?..

22 guys full-time
14 trucks
40ish ZTR's

1400 weekly mowing accounts.

I see you haven't grown up a bit...

punt66
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
No?..

22 guys full-time
14 trucks
40ish ZTR's

Just curious. Why do you need 40 ztr's with 22 employees?

PROCUT1
12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
No?..

22 guys full-time
14 trucks
40ish ZTR's

Nope.

However. I am related to one of your "employees"

Its a small world.

I forward these posts to him and hes wondering how youre able to keep all this hidden.

He thought he knew everything you own and all your work.

I told him maybe you have a stealth company that he doesnt know about.

punt66
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Its like a shark attack.

lawnman_scott
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
No?..

22 guys full-time
14 trucks
40ish ZTR's

It has nothing to do with growing up. Its just so fun because you are so dumb. You have been a joke since day 1 trying to impress everyone here (why you would pick a site of all guys I dont know). I do have a question. Do the 22 guys that average $16,000 per year know where your mansion is? Because I would bet if they all get drunk one night, they will band together and come for you. I hope they dont get by the gatekeeper.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Its like a shark attack.

He's actually not related to anyone. He's the ring star in the circus, and I've heard its in town.

Back to unemployment, did you read my response? Does it make more sense?

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
It has nothing to do with growing up. Its just so fun because you are so dumb. You have been a joke since day 1 trying to impress everyone here (why you would pick a site of all guys I dont know). I do have a question. Do the 22 guys that average $16,000 per year know where your mansion is? Because I would bet if they all get drunk one night, they will band together and come for you. I hope they dont get by the gatekeeper.

Mansion? Here's my house and my second house. I have nothing to hide, and I'm surely not "dumb".

punt66
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
He's actually not related to anyone. He's the ring star in the circus, and I've heard its in town.

Back to unemployment, did you read my response? Does it make more sense?

Well get your point but dont agree with it.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Well get your point but dont agree with it.

Your signature line says your solo. If you were forced to pay into the system, knowing that your pretty much handing out your money to anybody that doesn't have a job gets to be alittle disheartning, and it might change your mind on the subject.

What really erks me is the guys that want to work under the table, and still collect the UE benefits. It's not fair to those of us who work hard to earn a living, and don't make money when there isn't work to do. It's all about working hard when you can, and saving up for a rainy day/season.

punt66
12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Your signature line says your solo. If you were forced to pay into the system, knowing that your pretty much handing out your money to anybody that doesn't have a job gets to be alittle disheartning, and it might change your mind on the subject.

What really erks me is the guys that want to work under the table, and still collect the UE benefits. It's not fair to those of us who work hard to earn a living, and don't make money when there isn't work to do. It's all about working hard when you can, and saving up for a rainy day/season.

I am solo now but as i explained a few posts ago i had a construction company for 11 years. Had anywhere from 9-12 employees and i laid them off every winter. The insurance payment didnt bother me, it insured they were going to return to me. I had a great bunch of guys and treated them well and they treated me well. I was glad they can have a winter break.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I am solo now but as i explained a few posts ago i had a construction company for 11 years. Had anywhere from 9-12 employees and i laid them off every winter. The insurance payment didnt bother me, it insured they were going to return to me. I had a great bunch of guys and treated them well and they treated me well. I was glad they can have a winter break.

I have a few guys that take the UE checks, and I've considered bringing them back onto payroll so they have to earn their checks over the winter. Then I remembered, UE is based on payroll so it wouldn't matter if I had my guys back working, someone else would be getting the money.

punt66
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I have a few guys that take the UE checks, and I've considered bringing them back onto payroll so they have to earn their checks over the winter. Then I remembered, UE is based on payroll so it wouldn't matter if I had my guys back working, someone else would be getting the money.

Thats true. Your better off using it than not.

bobcatnj
12-08-2008, 06:57 PM
i use a payroll company that does my payroll. so back to the question, since NOBODY really answered and started acting like a bunch of old ladys. can i collect or not? will it cost me too much to collect? everyone must be at home bored out of there minds

punt66
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
i use a payroll company that does my payroll. so back to the question, since NOBODY really answered and started acting like a bunch of old ladys. can i collect or not? will it cost me too much to collect? everyone must be at home bored out of there minds

I dont know how jersey is set up. But in CT its a big NO. Plus chances are your not paying into it anyway. Yes were bored hahah. I finished my season the day before thanksgiving.

mattfromNY
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
In NY, not if you are the company owner. My co. is set up as a S-corp., and technically if it were in my wifes' name and I worked for her, collecting a weekly paycheck, then I could collect UE. As far as I know, each state has its own criteria.
Check w/ your CPA.

DLAWNS
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM

In Jersey you cannot collect unemployment if you own a company. If you're using a payroll service, I believe they are taking out for unemployment. I believe (and I could be wrong) the only way that you could collect is if you have no interest in your company. Meaning you just collect a paycheck and make no decisions. If you are the owner or on the board of directors so to speak you cannot collect. Hope this helps a little bit. If you have any other questions just ask. I'll try to answer them or at least I'll ask my wife. lol

AintNoFun
12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
No?..

22 guys full-time
14 trucks
40ish ZTR's

your website doesn't reflect that business... i only see 3 or 4 trucks...

DLCS
12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
your website doesn't reflect that business... i only see 3 or 4 trucks...

Ah, yes, good ol Steve with his far fetched stories. Did everyone know that he went from a small mowing operation with his friends to mowing the whole state of New York in one season? He also owns a logging company too, just doesn't know where his trucks are because they are scattered all over New York state. Amazing he still uses his first plow truck too, what happened to the rest of the fleet. 40ish ztrs, what no accurate count? Lets see some of them, more than the two Dixies you have in your moms garage and don't give me the crap about being all over the state of New york. You got pics of a pile of back packs and trimmers, the ztrs must be there too. So lets see them. Yes Steve, I'm still here, come back in another 6 months and see if your critics are still here to bust your stories. Oh btw, I have lots of relatives in your neck of the woods and they never see any Quality Landscaping, i wonder why?

IN2MOWN
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Unemployment?

These threads PISS me off!

Plan ahead for the winter starting in the spring.

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Ah, yes, good ol Steve with his far fetched stories. Did everyone know that he went from a small mowing operation with his friends to mowing the whole state of New York in one season? He also owns a logging company too, just doesn't know where his trucks are because they are scattered all over New York state. Amazing he still uses his first plow truck too, what happened to the rest of the fleet. 40ish ztrs, what no accurate count? Lets see some of them, more than the two Dixies you have in your moms garage and don't give me the crap about being all over the state of New york. You got pics of a pile of back packs and trimmers, the ztrs must be there too. So lets see them. Yes Steve, I'm still here, come back in another 6 months and see if your critics are still here to bust your stories. Oh btw, I have lots of relatives in your neck of the woods and they never see any Quality Landscaping, i wonder why?

Take a look in the pictures thread. I started one just for you..

And I won't ever see your relatives... Sorry, we don't work in the low income neighborhood. Tell them I said hi though:waving:

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM

BTW, I haven't lived with my parents since 2004. I moved out and bought my own place. Honestly, you must have been shaken as a baby. I'm not here to argue with somebody who doesn't even know me. Take a look at the pics, if you don't want to believe. DON'T. End of story, I'm better than that.

DLCS
12-08-2008, 10:30 PM
BTW, I haven't lived with my parents since 2004. I moved out and bought my own place. Honestly, you must have been shaken as a baby. I'm not here to argue with somebody who doesn't even know me. Take a look at the pics, if you don't want to believe. DON'T. End of story, I'm better than that.

Well, from everything you post on here, I wouldn't want to know you. You are so full of crap, whats different about those pics you posted? Same pics as before, lets see those 40ish ztrs. Now its time for you to disappear again for a few months.:waving:

AintNoFun
12-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Take a look in the pictures thread. I started one just for you..

im sorry i think im gonna have to join the others and call you out.. i only see a few more trucks/ztrs in your thread pics.. still not nearly what you claim...

DLCS
12-08-2008, 10:38 PM
im sorry i think im gonna have to join the others and call you out.. i only see a few more trucks/ztrs in your thread pics.. still not nearly what you claim...

See Stevie, its not just me but thanks for starting that picture thread just for me, why do you try so hard to make me believe you? Maybe you should go put a sign on it and take a picture for me.:laugh:

qualitylandscaping
12-08-2008, 10:47 PM
See Stevie, its not just me but thanks for starting that picture thread just for me, why do you try so hard to make me believe you? Maybe you should go put a sign on it and take a picture for me.:laugh:

Call me out all you want. I'm not here to impress, nor am I here to get attention. I don't care if you believe me. You sir, are not affecting my business in any way, shape, or form. You do however, show a serious lack in work to keep you busy. I "run away for a couple of months", merely because I'm actually running a business and I have things to do. I get a day off once in a while, and like to check up on this site. If I don't get pics posted, its because we are busy. Sorry money comes before clearing up any loose ends here.

bobcatnj
12-09-2008, 07:23 AM
thanks dlawn for answering the question. now all the women can fight about whos who. i have 9000 trucks, 98344321234 lawns, 43903023948 payroll WHOS CARES

AI Inc
12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
thanks dlawn for answering the question. now all the women can fight about whos who. i have 9000 trucks, 98344321234 lawns, 43903023948 payroll WHOS CARES

ya forgot about the 14" shlong

tlipari
12-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Out of the three employees I have....would you believe it's my son that's complaining about getting unemployment? I don't understand how he knows it will screw me and all he cares about is getting the check. Must get it from his mother....sorry that's another topic.

zturncutter
12-09-2009, 07:51 AM
ya forgot about the 14" shlong

Now thats really something to brag about.:laugh:

fl-landscapes
12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
UE insurance is there for a reason. It's unfortunate, people use to look at collecting UE as an embarrassment and would actually go and get another job as quick as possible. Now like most government freebies people want as much as they can get and milk the system for all they can. To bad the gov. doesnt make any money the abusers of the system are just leaching of everyone elses hard work. Like I said it is there for a reason....the laid of guy who needs to pay the bills, a little cash to help him until he finds another pay check....as long as hes looking for one.

AintNoFun
12-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Out of the three employees I have....would you believe it's my son that's complaining about getting unemployment? I don't understand how he knows it will screw me and all he cares about is getting the check. Must get it from his mother....sorry that's another topic.

he paid into it didn't he?