PDA

View Full Version : Paver Carts

TSGVA
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
We are right on the verge of buying a paver cart/ bundle buggy after years of hoofin' it by hand in wheel barrows or loader buckets (touching each paver 3-4 times.....sorry ICPI:hammerhead:)

We have a 6000 sf driveway coming up and now's the time to take the plunge. We looked at PaveTech's paver cart at HNA last year and I like the feel......we just haven't used one in the field yet. Do they hold up? Does the clamp and slider work every time?? I know it's going to save a cr@p-ton of time.

Those of you that have used a cart for years, what are your thoughts? Any other manufacturers other than PaveTech or BrickStop that are recommended? Get the 3rd wheel? What's the going rate?

CertPro
12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
We have tried to use a paved cart on many jobs, but to no avail. They work great on pavers that are banded, but not so great on wrapped skids, especially if the skid is slightly askew. Plus alot of the newer modular pavers come in layers this rendering the cart useless. You would be better off bringing the pavers directly to the laying face with a skid steer. You just have to make sure you compact as you move up the driveway. My .02

Tyler7692
12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Compact what as you move up the driveway?

TSGVA
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Compact what as you move up the driveway?

...Compact the pavers if you are going to run a skid steer to the laying face.

CertPro, thanks for the reply. Everything we'd be moving is banded, so I take it that the paver cart works well? How about the tray for hauling 8-10 wall block at a time or a compactor? Seems like it would work nicely.

CertPro
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, it works OK. It just gets unwieldy after while. PLus, you better be running on perfectly smooth, flat ground or you will have some trouble.

TSGVA
12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
yeah, that's what I figured. Well, if it prevents a CTL from prematurely needing to stroll across the freshly layed pavers, it'll be worth it on those larger jobs.

thanks for the input fellas.

btammo
12-10-2008, 08:37 AM
I dont run my skids on the laying face, no way.

sbvfd592
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
anyone have pics of one??

CertPro
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
btammo - Why would you not run your skid on a compacted driveway? As long as your not turning there shouldn't be a problem. It is, after all, a driveway! If your worried about marking, lay some geotex down.

btammo
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Cert. I would only run on it when it is complete, snap edge in, cuts made, sand down and ready to go home. You drive a skid on the edge of a fresh patio and you are asking for trouble. JMO

I guess the size of the skid would also depend. I see some people driving stuff on a patio during laying and wonder how. M=aybe I am being too cautious...

CertPro
12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I think as long as you do your initial compaction (obviously edge restraint should be in place), there should be no problem driving on it provided you're not turning. Btw-I would never do it on a patio, only a driveway. Unless the patios base is sufficient for vehicular traffic.