PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer rack theft.

jaybow
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I just was looking at a guys trimmer racks and he said he didnt have to worry about theft anymore. I said about 2 or 3 minutes with a cordless reciprocating saw and they could still take all the trimmers and edgers you have.

jaybow
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
There is a strong possibility I may go with an enclosed trailer this year.
I just hate backing them in my driveway.And I need my tools home with me .
I work another job and dont have time or money to be wasting on storage at a yard somewhere.

JimQ
12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I just was looking at a guys trimmer racks and he said he didnt have to worry about theft anymore. I said about 2 or 3 minutes with a cordless reciprocating saw and they could still take all the trimmers and edgers you have.

The same can be said about an enclosed trailer.

Q

jaybow
12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
The same can be said about an enclosed trailer.

Q

Atleast with an enclosed everything is not as visible for thieves. A fancy trailer out in the open with blowers,trimmers hanging everywhere is just screaming take me.

jaybow
12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I think theft is something everyone better be taking a little more seriously this coming year.:hammerhead:

Uranus
12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
how do you figure? 95% of the time landscapers leave the keys in the ignition. Fire up the truck and drive away.

Uranus
12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
well since the previous 2 post before my last post were deleted as I was typing my last post makes no sense now.

jaybow
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM
how do you figure? 95% of the time landscapers leave the keys in the ignition. Fire up the truck and drive away.

If you leave the keys in the truck you are an anus!:nono:

ovalracer44
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM

If you create posts about how to steal trimmers you are an anus.

jaybow
12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
If you create posts about how to steal trimmers you are an anus.

It isnt about how to steal them its about how to keep them from being stolen.
Or atleast take more serious the threat of them being stolen.

ovalracer44
12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
If you wrap your kids head in bubble wrap you may stop them from getting a booboo.

Jason Rose
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I leave my keys in the ignition all day, every day. Call me what you want.

Most of the time I also toss my wallet and other key ring in my center console so I don't have them in my pockets. With the keys in the ignition, windows down, doors unlocked.

There again, I'm not mowing in high crime areas (yes I know, crime happens EVERYWHERE) I would go out of my mind if I was rolling up the windows, pulling the keys and locking the doors at every stop!

ovalracer44
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Most of the time I also toss my wallet and other key ring in my center console so I don't have them in my pockets. With the keys in the ignition, windows down, doors unlocked.

There again, I'm not mowing in high crime areas (yes I know, crime happens EVERYWHERE) I would go out of my mind if I was rolling up the windows, pulling the keys and locking the doors at every stop!

Not to mention it is miserable here when its hot. No need to turn the truck into a hot box. The windows are always down.

Wallet and cell phones are always under the console along with the keys.

I dont need to be mowing up the keys, phone or wallet, or hunting around in a yard all day for the keys.

Yard.Barber
12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
could you let me know when you are out mowing next year? I could use a new vehicle and equipment.. thanks.. :gunsfirin

JosephLawnCare
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM

Trust me, with that attitude, you're day will come. Mine did last December and it sucks. Take your keys out of the ignition at least. My guys and I all take the keys out and put them in out pocket at EVERY stop. It sucks, but I learned the hard way after 14 years and it will never happen again. If it does, I'll know where its at!!

jaybow
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM

Just a little humor about your name next to you avatar:laugh:

TXNSLighting
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM

Ha! Anus....

milo
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
i leave my keys, money, wallet cell phone in my truck all the time but if someone is dumb enough to get into my truck with 2 pit bulls in there, thats there fault.. last year some ass did steal my hand held blower out of bed of truck they did not take the trimmer right next to it so im perty sure was someone in a small car.
i do hope if they go in my truck i am coming around the corner to see what happens when he meets my dogs lol

topsites
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Atleast with an enclosed everything is not as visible for thieves. A fancy trailer out in the open with blowers,trimmers hanging everywhere is just screaming take me.

I hate to say it but trimmers are safer in the back of the pick-up for that very reason,
but I can tell you what else attracts theft and that is the look of prosperity.

If you look like you're well off, even if you're up to your eyeballs in debt...

Any fool knows those trimmer racks cost a lot, more fools know an enclosed is
worth even more, and the shinier the stuff, the worse the attraction.

But I do agree, visibility is the worst thing, out of sight is out of mind.

One reason I like buying certain things used, also the reason I don't wash my mowers.
A nice fat rusty old chain with a roughed up looking padlock, nobody touches it.

If nothing else any passers-by have to physically go near the truck and bend their crane neck
some kind of way to take a peek inside, by then I've got my evil eye trained on them.
But if the stuff looks well used, the chances of theft are less as well.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
So why not have a keyless entry hooked to your beltloop? That way you can keep the keys in it and still lock it up.

Better yet, get a remote starter on it so you can fire it up and cool her down before you climb in.

MowHouston
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I hate to say it but trimmers are safer in the back of the pick-up for that very reason,
but I can tell you what else attracts theft and that is the look of prosperity.

If you look like you're well off, even if you're up to your eyeballs in debt...

Any fool knows those trimmer racks cost a lot, more fools know an enclosed is
worth even more, and the shinier the stuff, the worse the attraction.

But I do agree, visibility is the worst thing, out of sight is out of mind.

One reason I like buying certain things used, also the reason I don't wash my mowers.
A nice fat rusty old chain with a roughed up looking padlock, nobody touches it.

If nothing else any passers-by have to physically go near the truck and bend their crane neck
some kind of way to take a peek inside, by then I've got my evil eye trained on them.
But if the stuff looks well used, the chances of theft are less as well.

You are wrong on all levels. I used to keep my equipment in the back of my truck. My customer caught a guy on a BICYCLE lifting my blower out of my truck and running off with it while I was in the back yard.

"Out of sight, out of mind" is a good theory but there are people out there that look for lawn guys, I'm sure. If your stuff is locked up, there is that sense of "its too much trouble". Not saying it will keep it from happening but I HIGHLY doubt someone is going to target my truck with a saw rather than go on to another guy that just has his stuff lying in a truck or trailer.

Since my stuff got stolen I've seen other lawn guys around and thought "I could take that... and that... aaaand that and they wouldn't know until 20 minutes later". Thieves think the same way.

The rest of you talking about leaving your stuff in your truck, unlocked, with windows down, I cant tell you if it will happen to you or not.

But I can tell you that it WONT happen to me. I take my keys with me, lock the truck, windows up, wallet on me. I lock my trimmer rack, blower rack, and custom tail gate, yes, even at a lawn. Unlock the trimmer, use it, put it back, lock it ... unlock the tailgate, use the mower, put it back, lock it ... unlock the blower, use it, put it back, lock it.

It doesnt take that much time, and you don't have to (lol) fumble for keys or (omg) spend time to roll up windows and (gasp) use one whole finger to lock your doors.

As far as it being hot in the truck when I get in... so what? At least my truck and my livelihood is still there when I get back. Roll down the window and go to the next lawn. You should only be in the truck for a whole 5 minutes anyhow.