PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Couplers

74inchShovel
12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Any one have any experience with running a hammer on a mini-ex, in reguards to how to plumb? I have heard that quick-couplers are prone to leaks due to pressure spikes by hammer. Right now I'm hard-plumbed via JIC, but the change over is a mess, fluid everywhere. Thanks in advance.

Scag48
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I've had no issues running hammers with standard quick couplers in the past, just the typical hassles of getting the couplers on in hot weather. I've never run JIC couplers, but I've had no issues with quick couplers on hammers on minis, 12 ton hoes, hoepacs, etc.. The really slick quick couplers are the ones that screw on, really helps when it's hot outside and the faces don't want to open up. The screw on types allow leverage against the faces, really great idea. They are somewhat expensive but well worth the money IMO.

74inchShovel
12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I should have been clearer- by JIC I meant that every time I switch over, its get the wrenches out, undo the threaded flare nuts that go to thumb, cap, and tighten up breaker lines. Local dealer says this is the way to go....

coopers
12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
So you don't have something set up like this? You don't have to unscrew anything, just flip the handle to shut off the thumb and you're ready to go. These seemed to work good. Back when I worked for a rental company, we never had complaints from customers when we had breakers on our 120's....as far as leaks go.

74inchShovel
12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Perfect-tells me what I need to know. Just curious-what size hammer on Kubota, and what is the weight class of machine? TY

bobcat_ron
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I had issues with leakage too, but I found that giving the lines more slack helped, that takes the major recoil out and lets the lines move more with out wiggling the couplers, the ZX27 we use drips a little now and then, but only after at least 4 hours of hammer work.
I had a thread here about the screw on type quick couplers, they are the best out there.

nac
12-09-2008, 08:58 PM
One my PC45 I run standard quick couplers like the ones you would find on any skid steer. I have no problems with my hammer, rock drill and helical drive motor. On my 160 I have changed a couple sets of quick couples the hammer beatsit up. Now I got a set off these Italian quick couplers they are tread on not push in they seem to be great.

coopers
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Kubota is a 121-3, 9300lbs and not sure on the hammer.