PDA

View Full Version : Check out new website

ryry278
12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey guys this is my website so i am sure there are several errors, but i did this in like 4 hours. Has some problems with codes because i am going from IWEB to godaddy as of now, but overall it worked. Not alot of pictures yet and nothing in some parts because i do not have the information or photos yet so i will fill in as i go. Please do not just go ripping it apart i know it is not the best most professional, but it is one of the first in my city for a lawn company. So give me any suggestions that are positive.

www.keanslawnservice.com

JDUtah
12-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Don't post it asking for help but then try to 'restrict' what help can be given? Maybe we should wait a couple months before commenting?

ps, the lawn is brown. Thatch/disease problem?

But like you said more will be coming... keep working on it... it might have been a good idea to post it later...

ryry278
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
No the yards are not brown. They are striped. Two of the ones that are darker where done in the middle of fall as you can see from the trees. And i am not restricting anyones comments. But i have seen how some of you pick apart a website like your experts. I do not claim to know how to do this very well and do not have alot of money to buy a pro. This was to just get started and trying to work out any bugs. Try looking at the content to not just the layout. But i would like suggestions just positive. Difference in those pictures suck and you should try editing that photo to make it lighter so it does not look that way.

ryry278
12-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for looking at it though. And those are the only pictures i have right now because my camera got stolen.

JDUtah
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok, let's give this a go then...

Try editing the brown out of this photo... or take a new one of a lawn that doesn't have this problem... (red thread?)

A photo like that does not help you sell your services (even if you don't fert and squirt)

Even if you are using it to show your striping skills... honestly most people could care less about stripes, but they DO care about a big brown patch in the middle of their lawn...

Good job not stealing photo's off the internet!

And as far as content... it has been posted many a time... the first page should quickly tell the potential customer what you will do to relieve a pain... your paragraph is the right size (not too long or short)... just focus on the customer more... not yourself or your website...

ryry278
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
No offense the photo you posted I cant not see the brown your talking about. This one is the one with the brown in it. I already enhanced it as much as possible, but until next season can not take any more pictures. As soon as i start next year i will post better ones up. The picture you posted was taken in the middle of spring and there is no brown that i see even in your outline? lol i am obvisouly color blind or something. What did you think about the other things though? i know the pictures are not great, but what about about us and our green intiative? the blogs section i am still working on so please excuse that

ryry278
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Sorry this picture

JDUtah
12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Weird the brown is surely there. Maybe the brightness, contrast, color balance, and saturation on your computer monitor are not set right? Or you have an old monitor?

I’m not going to look at code but as far as the site… I like the colors… the mouseover on the menu is nice to have…

I would widen the body so the menu doesn’t wrap.

Reword the paragraph on the main page to help the customer, not inform them…

Amber alert thing is cool, but IMO just adds clutter…

Instead of your logo as a pic on the first page, work it into the header of all your pages. You will get better branding…

The intro paragraph on your green initiative page has a few grammatical errors and uses the word “So” too much.. I lost interest before I even looked at the list… It seems like a good idea, but work on the wording… take more than 4 hours on that page alone… (Well take the time to develop a clear green initiative, then just cut and paste it to that page) How far are you in your schooling? What is Organizational Communication? Maybe read some sales books? Start with “The little red book of selling” by Jeffrey Gitomer?

Good job buying and working to expand the business! Keep it up!

ryry278
12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks on the tips. I will got back and change some of that tonight. I figured the paragraph before the green part was long. That will deff. get fixed. Should i add in i am a junior in college and going to graduate school and explain what organizational comm is? And i dunno this is a brand new computer and i have look at it on two other comps that are newer. I dunno i will eventually get better pictures, but that is plugging them in after i get the layout finished. And the logo on the front i agree will need to go on the top. I am goign to be taking some profesional pictures of all my equipment and i will post a picture of the crew there instead. Thanks for the advice. By the way i used a template barely any HTML

JDUtah
12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I would leave the extra school info out... I was just meaning... well nvm...

"CNI" (coined by Tony Robbins) is a great thing, keep working on the site and you should end up with a helpful tool...

Enjoy!

Turboguy
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Just out of boredom I played with your photo for 5 minutes in photo shop. This is a little rough but I think since you don't have many photos if this helps you here is your photo with the brown out.

ryry278
12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks turboguy really appreciate the help and time spent on helping me out.

Turboguy
12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
You are welcome,

I had a few more minutes so I played with your other photo a bit, particularly in the bottom of the picture but one brown area on the left.

ryry278
12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Wow photoshop does alot. I am taking a desktop publishing class next semester so i am hoping to learn a little of this stuff. Thanks again.

Turboguy
12-10-2008, 05:40 AM
You are welcome. Yes, photo shop can do some amazing things. Those two were pretty easy. I am not sure if they will cover photo editing as part of desktop publishing but it is good knowledge to have. I spend a big part of each day working with both DP and Photoshop and it can be fun.

Good luck in your classes. I am sure you will do well.

B & B Yardscape
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Your logo needs to be centered and on the top of every page. The page needs to be wide enough so the links (home, contact us, about us) are all on a single line. On my screen, Contact us, is below HOME.

If you want, put two smaller pictures on either side of your logo.

Contact Us: You know that most web hosting will allow you to use your domain name as your email address. Your email should be Rylan@keanslawnservice.com. Not the Yahoo address.

Services: Take out the Comming Soon. Either you do it or you don't. Instead put it here.
And MoreÖ: Contact us if you don't see what you need listed.

Green Initiative:
At Keanís Lawn Service we feel that it is important to be aware of our impact on the environment. After all we are the ones maintaining it, so if it dies we do not work.

What we did was evaluate all areas of our business in order to reduce our carbon footprint and become a greener company. Running our business in a green way helps reduce pollution and cuts down the cost of operation.

Below are a few ways we are changing.

GIVING BACK:
The following 2 paragraphs should be at the top of the page

KLS is founded on Christian principles operating on the values of serving others. We do everything we can to help those in need and work to create a beautiful, safe, and caring community. Clarksville has given us alot and we feel an obligation to give back to the community and share Godís blessings.

If anyone knows of an organization or family that needs some help we would sure like to here about it. We are working on setting up a monthly service project, where we will select a family or organization in need and provide a free mow or yard clean up. We would like to expand this service into an annual project that really helps a family or organization with some yard work. Send us an email if you know of anyone in need.

The Amber allert is great, but annoying to look at. Make it a link to the site instead of the banner.

That is enough for now.

Good Luck