PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Fluid

daveyo
12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I tried a search on the subject but didn't find anything. My dealer says they change the hydro fluid rarely ever, but my manual says every 100hrs. I'm a stickler on maintenance so I figured I would do it myself, any advice would be appreciated.

David O'Donnell
O'Donnell's Landscape management, Inc.

WrightCommercial
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
daveyo,

We use Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 motor oil in our hydro systems and it is considered a lifetime fluid. The only maintanence required is changing the filter every 500 hours or at least annually. You should only have to add fluid for any loss during the filter change or if the system appears low when routinely checking the level of fluid.. If the system had a failure and there is a possibility of contamination then you would consider changing the fluid. The 100 hour interval should be refering to the engine oil, which is petroleum based 10W30.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Department

pugs
12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
daveyo,

We use Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 motor oil in our hydro systems and it is considered a lifetime fluid. The only maintanence required is changing the filter every 500 hours or at least annually. You should only have to add fluid for any loss during the filter change or if the system appears low when routinely checking the level of fluid.. If the system had a failure and there is a possibility of contamination then you would consider changing the fluid. The 100 hour interval should be refering to the engine oil, which is petroleum based 10W30.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Department

Depends which manual you read. I have some here that say 10W30 Mobil1 or Amsoil 10W40 along with others that say 15W50 Mobil1...

WrightCommercial
12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
pugs,

You are correct, through the years the fluids have changed, but the current spec will work for all mowers. All of the oil grades listed are approved for use in the hydro systems. The engine oil has always been 10W30 from the factory.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.

heybruck34
12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
how do you recommend draining the fluid from a Sentar? the filters are mounted horzontally above the control levers connecting to the hydro pumps. It makes a helluva mess.

I drained most of it out using a hose off the radiator (took 30 minutes) and then taped garbage bags over the controls so the fluid draining off the filter connection wouldn't get all over my mower.

Perhaps these can me mounted vertically in a future model? It would also enable us to "pre-fill" the filters before screwing on.

-Jeff-

WrightCommercial
12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
heybruck34,

On the Sentar 1 version there is a plug in the lower fitting connection on the hydro tank that can be used to drain the tank. The later version Sentar II, and III do not have this plug. A bulb type syphon is best to drain the current hydro tank. To clear the pumps and lines it is best to undue the high pressure lines at the wheel motors and bump the starter to make the pumps purge the lines (make sure not to fully start the engine). The wheel motors can be spun by hand to push the oil out of the motors, make sure the lines are marked so they don't go back on backwards. This will clear most of the oil out of the system. Clearence is the issue with vertically mounted filters, since the upright doesn't move with the engine deck/cutter deck, things get very close when the cut height is at its highest. It's a concession of a compact mower design and a low center of gravity.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.